Is India a potential US ally or rival?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
A comparison of US attitudes to India and China. Is India a friend or a foe? How is it different from China?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
The guy talks about the war in 1971 and that India had plans to divide even the West Pakistan(around 50-60min).

Does anyone know details about it? Were the different regions in Pak hostile even in 1971, that they would have accepted this division?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Since September 2011 I have seen at least a dozen threads on this subject. Nothing really new has been discussed. Too many posters live in 1971.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Since September 2011 I have seen at least a dozen threads on this subject. Nothing really new has been discussed. Too many posters live in 1971.
It doesn't matter if posters live in 1971 or 2012. Our nations can always be friends, but never military allies. Bharatvarsh, throughout it's history has never been an ally of any state, no matter how dire the condition has been on the home front. Furthermore, our philosophies are not compatible. Both America and India might officially be secular nations, however deep down we will always be a Hindu nation and you a Christian nation. Our political and martial philosophies will always vary. They are parallel lines, they do not converge.

Furthermore, we are geographically closer to Russia. Russia has been a time tested friend. India is not in the business of backstabbing friends, while for America, friendship comes next to business. For us, friendship is more important than business will ever be. Although the Chinese communists have always postured against India, the people of these two countries are not antagonistic. Historically, we've lived in peace and if it wasn't for the British and Neheru, things might have been resolved before the relationship degraded into war, of which there was only one short instance in the thousands of years of our co-existence.

So you see, an alliance between India and Usa will always be a topic of academic discussions, never a part of real politics.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Indian is neither in position to become rival to america . And whatever position it had to become ally of USA is allready beging destroyed by UPA economic policies.

EXPERT

No I dont think that india is or going to be ally of US ,the only main reason is they are not trustworthy.
they have used pakistan against india by allocating pak billions of dollars,millitary hardware. And now try to join india to balance Chinese. . . Thats it,

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Partner - Yes
Ally- No

Economic - Yes
Military - No

That too if it suits India.

DEXTER07

After americans pull out from afganistan, they will stop aid to pak.
Countering china is in both nations interest.
So in the future ,there is a chance for these two countries to became allies.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Ally of Us will depend on Geopolitical situation.

Rival : Where do we figure against the US to be their rival. They are our biggest trading partner, one of the biggest investors in the country, how can we afford to be a rival to the US.

no smoking

Country flag
You should put "where" in your question.

International relationship is far more complex than black and white: even US-China has a lot of common interests!

So, I would say: in some areas, such as contain Chinese growing influence in South east asia, india is a potential ally to US; in other areas, such as the dominance of south asia, india is a rival to US.

average american

I think any county that thinks of its self as a religious contry, such as Indian Hindu country are going to suffer for it. while the majority of americans are Christian we are not a Christian Country , we have a truly secular goverment that allows full partispation of all religons.
The USA has no desire to dominate south asia, it just has a desire that no one else does either. As far as India being an ally of the USA, I dont see what India brings to the table that justfries the risk to the USA. Would the USA want to really risk a war over India. India has never done any thing for the USA. 90 percent of the time India has voted against the USA in issues at the UN.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I think any county that thinks of its self as a religious contry, such as Indian Hindu country are going to suffer for it. while the majority of americans are Christian we are not a Christian Country , we have a truly secular goverment that allows full partispation of all religons.
The first thing a president aspirant has to declare is which Christian church he attends :rolleyes:

How many times Obama had to show off his Christian credentials to ward off his Muslim image.?

Two of the Indian-descent governors, Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal had to convert to Christian to be able to get themselves escalate the political ladder to become governors.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
The USA has no desire to dominate south asia, it just has a desire that no one else does either. As far as India being an ally of the USA, I dont see what India brings to the table that justfries the risk to the USA. Would the USA want to really risk a war over India. India has never done any thing for the USA. 90 percent of the time India has voted against the USA in issues at the UN.
Exactly, it is this "i don't know what you bring to the table" attitude that is the biggest hinderance to any possible 'alliance'.

As far as religion is concerned, we are not hypocrites, if that's what you mean and what @Daredevil has clearly pointed out. Don't teach us about Secularism. Centuries of co-existence with all religions in the world stands in testimony in favour of us. Banish your ignorance, open a history book, today. Enough said.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
If US desires that India does not dominate South Asia, would it be OK for India to also make efforts towards making sure that the US does not dominate the Americas or the Middle East?

The US has no other choice but to concede leadership to India and China in the areas which they consider to be their core interests. If it does not do so, India and China will ally themselves against the US, and your policymakers are already doing everything they can to prevent that eventuality.

As for the UN voting pattern, you need to see it holistically. India votes as a developing country should, in line with its national interests. The US on the other hand, seeks hegemony, and many a times, is isolated at the UN along with your western European allies. Recent case in point: the Palestinian statehood issue. Where the US does not get its way through the UN, it ignores the institution as in the Iraq War case.

India and China usually vote together on many conflict related issues because both having experienced subjugation by foreign powers, believe that sovereign decision-making should be the cornerstone of dispute resolution while the US believes that collective security (which usually means NATO or US led interventions) should take precedence.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The trolling thread of Indian ultra-nationalists. Let them vent their frustrations and deepest darkest anti-American fantasies here...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@average american can a Jew or a Muslim or a Sikh become the President of the US? Well just asking.

India and the US will have to ally out of compulsion if not anything else for the next few decades at least.

The meaning of te word alliance has to change. It certainly will not be master and poodle kinda thing a la Britain.
The US understands this and what I have seen tells me India and US can accommodate each other very well. What has happened over the years or the history of how India has voted etc is irrelevant. We are looking for common strategic goals that we can work together with. In the current both Asian as well as world context it is China and how to maintain peace and stability while the Chinese continue to make ridiculous assertions about their sovereignty all over Asia.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles