Muslim astronaut in space worship problem

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Muslim astronaut in space worship problem | News.com.au

OK, I was thinking of posting it under 'Jokes', but I believe this is real! :scared:

HOW do you pray facing Mecca five times a day when you are circling the Earth 16 times every 24 hours?

This is one of the problems facing Malaysian authorities as they prepare to send their first man into space.

There are others: how to hold the prayer position in zero gravity, ensure that only halal freeze-dried food is in your space cupboard and perform your ritual ablutions before worship?

They have all been answered by a team of Islamic scholars and scientists that has spent more than a year working on guidelines for the astronaut.

The Malaysian will travel to Russia's International Space Station in October, in exchange for a lucrative arms deal.

Read more: Muslim astronaut in space worship problem | News.com.au
Here's more:

The space station travels around the world at 27,000km/h, making Mecca a target in perpetual motion. With 16 orbits a day and five daily devotion sessions determined by times of sunrise and sunset, devout Muslim astronauts could find themselves chanting their prayers as many as 80 times in 24 hours.

Water is a valuable commodity in space, but Muslims are required to wash before each prayer session.

The holy month of Ramadan also falls during the mission.

All Muslims are required to abstain from food during daylight hours -- but what is daylight in space?

Malaysia insists, however, that maintaining Islamic beliefs "is mandatory for Muslims in every situation, time and place".

Read more: Muslim astronaut in space worship problem | News.com.au
Freaky shit! :scared:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Then they should take an equipment with gyroscope type thingy continuously pointing at Mecca and eat when they go behind earth at dark side :D

Edit: it's better to send it after the month of Ramadan, postpone it! :D

Last edited:

pmaitra

On prayer:
Install a soft bunk bed that is connected to two motorized hinges to allow for 2 degrees of freedom, similar to azimuthal and longitudinal. Have belts on the bed. If someone wants to pray, he will strap himself to the bed. The motors on the hinges will constantly reorient the bed, as the space station traverses its orbit, ensuring the bed always points to Mecca. Problem solved.

On fasting:
At any given time, the spacecraft will have one side completely hidden form direct Sun's rays. The other side may or may not be hidden, depending on whether the Earth is eclipsing the Sun from the spacecraft. Therefore, there is always night on the spacecraft, and thus, the astronauts can eat whenever they feel hungry.

On second thoughts:
Oh heck with it. Let the Malaysians worry about it.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
their goes Pakistani chance to go to space, btw won be bad excuse to launch pslv or other rocket, since all of the are imported mall.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
seriously and respectfully , please ask Prince Bandar Bin Sultan - he was the first Arab ( and i suppose the first muslim person ) to head into outer space - how did he face the issue i wonder ?

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
seriously and respectfully , please ask Prince Bandar Bin Sultan - he was the first Arab ( and i suppose the first muslim person ) to head into outer space - how did he face the issue i wonder ?
oh come on . . .

i am sure u have watched Fahrenheit 9 11
U dont know what name Bandar's known by in US . . . . Bandar Bush

he drinks without bothering to cover up and
brushes off Allegations of massive corruption with simple "So what ? "

u think he would have bothered abt any of this for crying out loud ?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
oh come on . . .i am sure u have watched Fahrenheit 9 11
U dont know what name Bandar's known by in US . . . . Bandar Bush he drinks without bothering to cover up and brushes off Allegations of massive corruption with simple "So what ? " u think he would have bothered abt any of this for crying out loud ?
ah got him mixed up with Sultan bin Salman bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud and not Bandar bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz ....pardon ..the name s are rather similar eh ?

ok here it goes again :-Ask Sultan bin Salman bin Abdul-Aziz

hey Cliff - thanks for the double-chek eh ? heheheheheh

Last edited:

ejazr

Ambassador
Well the article doesn't give a full account because it doesn't address what the Islamic scholars have said on this issue. But its an old article and maybe they were not able to report on the issue.

AFAIK, there were actually 8-9 Muslims in space till now. (List of Muslim astronauts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

In short, the flexibilities in Islam are provided as follows
(1) If water is scarce, you can symbolically do ablution called Taymmum. This is applicable for example in deserts or when traveling on Earth as well historically
(2) You can combine the five prayers into three prayers and perform it on the basis of Earth time from the place of your launch or Mecca time. Each prayer takes about 2-3 minutes and would be based on Earth hours rather than revolutions of the space craft.
On the 0-gravity issue, prirotiy to be given to stand, if that's not possible then you can sit and pray and if that is not possible then you can just lie down and action the prayer.
(3) For facing Qibla or Mecca. Priority should be given to facing towards Earth and if that is not possible then in any direction
(4) For eating, priority to be given to vegetarian if halal food is not available. If that is not possible than any food item is OK.
(5) On Fasting, even on earth, if you are travelling, you don't have to fast. But you should redo the skipped fasts whenever you can after you reach your destination. Other exceptions include, Pregnant and lactating female, the sick and the infirm like Diabetes patients for example. So an astronaut would be expected to skip the fasting and completed the missed days back on earth.

I think there was a feature on Wired magazine done on this back in 2007 when the Malaysian astronaut was first going to go to space. It was part of a deal that the Russians gave for purchasing sukhoi fighter jets. They had like a national lucky draw/competition to select the winner.

I wish the Russians did that for India too. We buy a whole lot more from the Russians than the Malays :D

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Even if prayers are missed, there is provision to pray all of them together when you can.

When you are traveling, you can't fast. There is this 12 mile limit from the city you live in. So while in space, this guy cannot fast. He can fast later on after Ramadan. Off course, he can keep a 12-14 hour fast keeping in mind it's Ramadan. Chose any time. May be his home time.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
There is more craziness to Malaysia's new found love with Wahabbisim than what meets the eye......I bet ,in 10 yrs, Malaysia will be worse than KSA with sharia and other superstitions of this nature!

p2prada

What if the astronaut turns out to be atheist or agnostic?

Then he won't give a damn for this solution.:laugh:

Religious mumbo jumbo. It serves no purpose at all. Maybe the rules for God should change when you are supposedly closer to him when you are in space.

I don't think Quran has an answer though. It seems Allah did not realize some day people will travel in space, so nothing in the book for Astronauts.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
What if the astronaut turns out to be atheist or agnostic?

Then he won't give a damn for this solution.:laugh:

Religious mumbo jumbo. It serves no purpose at all. Maybe the rules for God should change when you are supposedly closer to him when you are in space.

I don't think Quran has an answer though. It seems Allah did not realize some day people will travel in space, so nothing in the book for Astronauts.
I answered that.

agentperry

leaving mission control he is going to pray- a burden is going to the space

ejazr

Ambassador
Well if you are agnositc or atheist then you don't have to worry about it. Even if you are not a practicing Muslim, you can just ignore it.

But Muslims or a person of another faith who wants to practice it would naturally try to see if he can do it in reasonable enough manner.

IIRC, for example, there is similar case of practicing Jewish astronauts who need Kosher(Jewish version of Halal) food in space and have religious obligations on Sabbath which happens every Saturday where they are not suppose to do any work. Observant Jews also have three prayers every day

Here are some links about this that I could find
Sabbath every 10 hours puts Jewish astronaut's faith to test - smh.com.au
Chabad Rabbi Guides Astronaut in Keeping Shabbat in Space - Features - News - Chabad Lubavitch World Headquarters

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles