Law of the Sea Treaty

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Battling for the hearts and minds of American generals
...much of a Thursday hearing on the UN Law of the Sea Convention featuring a row of top military brass centered on whether the general officers who testified really meant what they were saying. Twice, members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations asked the panel of six four-stars from the Navy, Coast Guard, and Army, to say exactly that.

"Nobody twisted my arm in any way to be here today. I'm here to support the treaty," said Navy Adm. James Winnifeld, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

The general officers made a case for the treaty similar to that laid out last month by Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta and CJCS Gen. Martin Dempsey: having an international legal framework would enhance safety of navigation on the world's oceans for business and military interests, and give the U.S. greater authority in dealing with foreign governments attempting to violate rules of sovereignty.

"Candidly, I join my boss in finding it awkward in asking other nations to follow rules that we do not follow ourselves," Winnifeld said.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles