The person behind IS twitter account is from Bangalore!

Free Karma

Unmasked: the man behind top Islamic State Twitter account - Channel 4 News

The most influential pro-Islamic State Twitter account to be followed by foreign jihadis - Shami Witness - is shut down after a Channel 4 News investigation uncovers the identity of the man behind it He spent his mornings, afternoons and evenings sending thousands of tweets of propaganda about the Islamic State militant group, acting as the leading conduit of information between jihadis, supporters, and recruits.

His tweets, written under the name Shami Witness, were seen two million times each month, making him perhaps the most influential Islamic State Twitter account, with over 17,700 followers. Two thirds of all foreign fighters on Twitter followed him. When a fighter's Twitter account is suspended, he often promoted the new one and urged people to follow it. He spoke to British jihadis regularly, before they leave to join the Islamic State, after they arrived, and if they died he praised them as martyrs.

He has until now been able to remain anonymous, avoiding questions about his motives and his central role in the Islamic State's propaganda war, but a Channel 4 News investigation can today reveal that the man operating the account is called Mehdi and he is an executive in Bangalore working for an Indian conglomerate. Channel 4 News has chosen not to reveal his full name as he says his life would be in danger if his true identity was made public.

Mehdi said he would have gone to join Islamic State himself, but his family were financially dependent on him: "If I had a chance to leave everything and join them I might have.. my family needs me here." On his Facebook pages he regularly shares jokes, funny images and talks about superhero movies, posting pictures of pizza dinners with friends, and Hawaiian parties at work.

Elsewhere on Facebook there are indications of his Islamist ideology, in conversations about Libya and Egyptian uprisings. After being contacted by Channel 4 News, Mehdi shut down the Shami Witness account.

A recent report by the Brookings Institute found social media to be one of the key organizational strengths of the Islamic State, finding that it uses such channels "to spread and legitimise IS's ideology, activities, and objectives, and to recruit and acquire international support." The man behind Shami Witness posted thousands of updates to the @ShamiWitness Twitter account every month, usually from his mobile phone. Using the @ShamiWitness account he five times tweeted the video of the execution of US aid worker Peter Kassig, and dozens of Syrian soldiers within minutes of it being uploaded to the internet. "May allah guide, protect, strengthen and expand the Islamic State ... Islamic State brought peace, autonomy, zero corruption, low crime-rate", he wrote on Twitter in November.

Mehdi said of Iftikhar Jaman, one of the British jihadists from Portsmouth killed fighting for Islamic State, that: "you bros [brothers] talked the talk, walked the walk".
And he said to British fighter Mehdi Hassan "May Allah give you brothers decisive victory there". Hassan later died fighting in Kobane. To another British fighter he said: "may Allah reward you" and quoted one British fighter's suggested that the rebel Islamic Front poses a greater risk to the Islamic State than the secularist rebels of the Free Syrian Army.

ShamiWitness seemed to express glee at the deaths and rapes of Kurdish fighters on Twitter, but later said that this comment was taken out of context. He had written and later deleted the tweet where he said: "@ArjDnn I should thank PKK for recruiting female fighters, specially the ones caught alive by rebels. lol". But in his real life, he had spoken out against rape on Facebook.

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
I am worried about India, suddenly our people are more involved in ISIS than even Pakistan. Is there signs of future?

Zebra

Country flag
I am worried about India, suddenly our people are more involved in ISIS than even Pakistan. Is there signs of future?
Pakistan use national level URL filtering and blocking system similarly to China's Golden Shield / Great Firewall.

bennedose

The news may be fake. It it is not that man is finished.

A lot of innocent Mehdis and are now going to face needless music if this news item is a complete fake. There is intel sharing between India and the west on this type of stuff.

johnnyboy

Waiting for the same old canned responses from the so called secularists on the media... he is just a misguided youth, terrorism doesn't have a religion (except for saffron terror), Islam is a religion of peace and he doesn't represent Islam, raise of hindutva and RSS atrocities radicalized this poor chap, etc.

DingDong

Country flag
I met a person on twitter at the time of Kashmir flood. When I browsed through her time-line I found many "Beware Kafirs you will burn in Hell" type tweets. I also found that she had replied to one of my old tweets with "Ummah must be united to fight against Kafirs anywhere" To poke her I made fun of the Kashmir flood and immediately she started lecturing me on Humanity.

I am questioning whether the Muslims even consider non-Muslims Human? I have my doubts (their verses say that those who worship idols are worse than animals).

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I met a person on twitter at the time of Kashmir flood. When I browsed through her time-line I found many "Beware Kafirs you will burn in Hell" type tweets. I also found that she had replied to one of my old tweets with "Ummah must be united to fight against Kafirs anywhere" To poke her I made fun of the Kashmir flood and immediately she started lecturing me on Humanity.

I am questioning whether the Muslims even consider non-Muslims Human? I have my doubts (their verses say that those who worship idols are worse than animals).

In Abrahamic religions Idol worship is a crime, reason why when Muslims abuse Hindus they say 'Idol worshippers' :lol:

It is crime in their book and it is not a crime according to Dharma.

Poseidon

Country flag
No of Pakistanis in ISIS are many times more than that of Indians.
There are Pakistani commanders in ISIS and few weeks ago a Pakistani carried out a suicide bombing in Iraq.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
This is just the tip of the iceberg....agencies have kept the filth of islamic jihad under wraps since 1947......the jihadi unfinished business has been running smoothly under the garb of secularism and protected by leftist commie jholachap NGOs!

India needs to be very vigilant as we have people here who subscribe to anti national jihadi ideologies. However, the media is busy daggering some obscure conversion organization & Sadjvis and Sadhus, completely devoid of jihadi activities as their secular ethos goes against showing the truth to the country. We will never be able to cure this country from this evil of jihad unless such people who garb themselves are secularists are exposed.

Off-topic today our Mani shankar Iyer got some Paki parliamentarians to visit and recce Indian Parliament without informing the GOI and these paki were complaining that they were not given proper royal treatment. When we have Mani shankar Iyers, Diggies, secularists and commies who needs jihadis as enemies!

Very sad state of affair in this nation. Any one who questions secular ethos of these leftists and speaks the truth is termed as communal, this BS needs to end Now!!

Last edited:

Abhishek Tanwar

You are funny Mr. Indianrabbit, India have all capacity to stand against because all Indian against ISIS only if few traitor plan against India then we all stand then ,as i think you are not gonna agree at this point that our approx all Muslim brother are against then i saying that because i have some.

Last edited:

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Arrested Jihadi Mehdi Masroor......

Free Karma

So...
I haven't done anything wrong, says Shami Witness - Oneindia
Even as the Indian agencies are trying to track down Mehdi Masroor Biswas the man said to have tweeted as shamiwitness, Channel 4 which broke the story has managed to speak to him once again. Mehdi appears to be scared that he may be killed by the police who may then claim that he had tried to attack them. He says that he will not resist arrest when the time comes and does not have any weapons with him. "I get to read in the media now that there is a manhunt for me and they may get me in 24 hours", he says.
Have not waged any war
Mehdi further states that he has done no wrong "I haven't done anything wrong. I haven't harmed anybody, I haven't broken any laws of the country. I haven't raised any war or any violence against the public of India. I haven't waged war against any allies of India. They might try to bring that charge. I haven't waged war against anybody. I just said stuff, people followed me, then I followed them back and then we talked. I only knew what the IS fighters or sympathisers said in public tweets".
Thought it would die down
"I thought it would die down in the first one or two hours but it's still raging. I can't believe this I think for the first time there's a Muslim who can actually enunciate in English and get the message across and which has really pissed off our enemies, enemies of Muslims", he also tells Channel 4s Simon Isreal.
And the usual gang of people are there defending him, like NDTV, I believe some people are talking about this as a "freedom of expression" issue. :rolleyes:

debasree

Country flag
This man is from west Bengal kaikhali outskirts of Kolkata made 8 kms from my home his father and all his neighbours though say they r astonished he is very studious and shy also say his mail account was hacked few times ago though its alalarming the educated Muslim youth lured by this type of fanatic organisations

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles