Attacks on Indian students in foreign countries: Random?

nietzche

Anuj Bidve a MS - Microelectronics student in UK was gunned down apparently in a senseless case of violence which is being projected as a racist but still an impulsive crime. Nitin Garg an Indian student who was stabbed in Australia has been projected as an impulsive crime. Alok Gupta an MBA student has been shot dead today in Surrey, BC in yet another seemingly senseless crime perhaps racist perhaps Alok was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There has been over the past couple of years a spate of attacks on Indian students in US, UK, Australia, Canada etc. I felt the need to open a thread and a discussion on this as I have not seen any threads on it in DFI or BR or any other approach of looking at these attacks in the national media. This thread on DFI is to document these attacks, discuss potential motivations behind them ,to search for answers and to consider the possibility that perhaps they are not so random.

Are these random acts of violence or is there more than meets the eye?

As I can recall over the past few years perhaps less than 10 maybe 20 cases have been seen. But these cases have been highlighted in Indian and foreign media. The culprits are found sometimes and sometimes not. I don't recall having seen the attackers getting arrested especially in the US attacks.The demographic profile of students attacked in the US - mostly Andhraites considering the heightened level of immigration to the US from that state. In a few cases (Australia, UK) the perpetrators were minors.Obviously they will be out of juvenile prisons before they reach 25. Is there a pattern of using juveniles to conduct these attacks?

What is the impact on India in the short, medium and long term?
In the short term not much but in the medium to long term there could be a serious impact.

India has a large number of students in foreign countries.
These students are learning new skills and imbibing the knowledge that could potentially help India. To take a leaf out of history Japan's Meiji Restoration was driven in part by students who had studied in Europe and US.
A lot of these students do emigrate and become foreign citizens but they are still potential sources of capital contribution to India.

What could be the objectives of targeting Indian students in these countries?

Most Indians today seem to be emigrating via the student route. Obviously these well publicised crimes could reduce those immigrant numbers. eg. Australia - where the number of Indian students applying has fallen by 30% this year.

On a much larger timeline it could impact India's modernization and development as these students aid in injecting and catalyzing new ideas in the country.

Having our people in other countries helps shape those countries policies vis a vis India. This helps for example in the global hunt for resources and energy security. Australia is a good example of this. The Australian Labor Party has just now agreed to re-establish Uranium trade with India but still was under considerable pressure not to do so from interests within the Labor party influenced by panda diaspora in Australia some of whom no doubt are fairly well ensconced in Canberra.

Surprisingly Chinese students who make up the largest number of foreign students in the US have not been attacked. Considering pure probability this should not be the case.

Who would benefit?

Anti-immigration activists
Ultra Nationalists / Neo Nazis
India's competitor nations

If someone from DFI (senior members) can also open a similar thread on BR , I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Nietzche

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Anuj Bidve a MS - Microelectronics student in UK was gunned down apparently in a senseless case of violence which is being projected as a racist but still an impulsive crime.
This is Abhijit Mahato.

His murderer was African-American.
Despite the hardships Atwater and Lovette may have endured in their young lives, sympathy is hard to find. They took a life. And Lovette also was connected by police to the January 2008 murder of Duke University student Abhijit Mahato, a crime in which he has been charged.
Justice done - Editorials - NewsObserver.com

Blackwater

Anuj Bidve a MS - Microelectronics student in UK was gunned down apparently in a senseless case of violence which is being projected as a racist but still an impulsive crime. Nitin Garg an Indian student who was stabbed in Australia has been projected as an impulsive crime. Alok Gupta an MBA student has been shot dead today in Surrey, BC in yet another seemingly senseless crime perhaps racist perhaps Alok was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There has been over the past couple of years a spate of attacks on Indian students in US, UK, Australia, Canada etc. I felt the need to open a thread and a discussion on this as I have not seen any threads on it in DFI or BR or any other approach of looking at these attacks in the national media. This thread on DFI is to document these attacks, discuss potential motivations behind them ,to search for answers and to consider the possibility that perhaps they are not so random.

Are these random acts of violence or is there more than meets the eye?

As I can recall over the past few years perhaps less than 10 maybe 20 cases have been seen. But these cases have been highlighted in Indian and foreign media. The culprits are found sometimes and sometimes not. I don't recall having seen the attackers getting arrested especially in the US attacks.The demographic profile of students attacked in the US - mostly Andhraites considering the heightened level of immigration to the US from that state. In a few cases (Australia, UK) the perpetrators were minors.Obviously they will be out of juvenile prisons before they reach 25. Is there a pattern of using juveniles to conduct these attacks?

What is the impact on India in the short, medium and long term?
In the short term not much but in the medium to long term there could be a serious impact.

India has a large number of students in foreign countries.
These students are learning new skills and imbibing the knowledge that could potentially help India. To take a leaf out of history Japan's Meiji Restoration was driven in part by students who had studied in Europe and US.
A lot of these students do emigrate and become foreign citizens but they are still potential sources of capital contribution to India.

What could be the objectives of targeting Indian students in these countries?

Most Indians today seem to be emigrating via the student route. Obviously these well publicised crimes could reduce those immigrant numbers. eg. Australia - where the number of Indian students applying has fallen by 30% this year.

On a much larger timeline it could impact India's modernization and development as these students aid in injecting and catalyzing new ideas in the country.

Having our people in other countries helps shape those countries policies vis a vis India. This helps for example in the global hunt for resources and energy security. Australia is a good example of this. The Australian Labor Party has just now agreed to re-establish Uranium trade with India but still was under considerable pressure not to do so from interests within the Labor party influenced by panda diaspora in Australia some of whom no doubt are fairly well ensconced in Canberra.

Surprisingly Chinese students who make up the largest number of foreign students in the US have not been attacked. Considering pure probability this should not be the case.

Who would benefit?

Anti-immigration activists
Ultra Nationalists / Neo Nazis
India's competitor nations

If someone from DFI (senior members) can also open a similar thread on BR , I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Nietzche
well i can comment on UK and anuj case.

he was killed of hate crime. pakistan and pakis in UK are responsible.EDL chief was attacked by pakis in luton 2 days before.Any member who knows UK, must agree that pakis has large population in Luton. The goras of UK were quite angry and want to retaliate. We Indians have same color as pakis. we don't carry Indian tag on our forehead. Anuj was killed due to hate spread by pakis in UK..

Why chinis student not attacked coz goras have no probelm with chinis,they have no probelm with Indians also. but they got Probelms with pakis..

More over anuj was killed in Manchester again largest population of pakis there

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Mahato was 29 when he was found dead on Jan. 18, 2008, in his apartment near Duke's west campus.

Mahato had come to Durham from Tatangar, India, as a graduate student at Duke's Pratt School of Engineering.

Described as a softspoken and polite engineer who loved to read poetry and literature, Mahato was in his second year at Duke studying computational mechanics.

With experience working at the GE Global Research Center, and an understanding of industry that some graduate students did not have, Mahato had hopes of returning to India to teach at the university level, according to his friends.

In his opening statement Friday, Assistant District Attorney Jim Dornfried contended that Lovette ended Mahato's dreams inside the Anderson Apartment complex with the "intentional, deliberate and premeditated murder of a man who did nothing wrong."
Read more here: DURHAM: Man convicted of killing Eve Carson now on trial in Durham graduate student’s death | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

DURHAM: Man convicted of killing Eve Carson now on trial in Durham graduate student’s death | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
I'm not sure this is a conspiracy of any kind. There has been a surge of Indian international students over the past decade and it's most likely that the rise in assaults reflects the underlying prevalence of xenophobia which unfortunately exists everywhere in the world.

Also, I'm not sure why the OP thinks Chinese or other foreign students don't have the same problems.

His murderer was African-American.
What is the relevance of the murderer's race?

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
What is the relevance of the murderer's race?
Read the first line of the first post in the thread. Then, if you need me to explain it to you, I will make the attempt. Also, consider your own use of the term "xenophobia."

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Read the first line of the first post in the thread. Then, if you need me to explain it to you, I will make the attempt. Also, consider your own use of the term "xenophobia."
I'm sorry, I'm unable to catch on to the disjointed nature of the cut/past quotation posts, perhaps it is a bit too postmodernist for me. Please "attempt to explain this to me"

Thank you.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I'm sorry, I'm unable to catch on to the disjointed nature of the cut/past quotation posts, perhaps it is a bit too postmodernist for me. Please "attempt to explain this to me"

Thank you.
I think you will play at being obtuse here. No thank you.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
I think you will play at being obtuse here. No thank you.
No. I'm genuinely interested in what you're trying to say. As of right now it seems unclear (to me) so I would appreciate if you could just elaborate the point.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
So based on the first line of the post...

first line of post said:
Anuj Bidve a MS - Microelectronics student in UK was gunned down apparently in a senseless case of violence which is being projected as a racist but still an impulsive crime.
Do you mean to say that because the killer was African-American this is not a racist crime?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles