MH17 - Incompetence is deadly

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
The most interesting thing about this incident for me is that about 20 or more airlines who all fly the trans-Asian route and have the same information came to completely different conclusions.

It also shatters the myth of reputation and safety record of big name airlines like Singapore Airlines, Air India, Lufthansa, Malaysian Airlines, Ethihad, and many more.

But British Airways, Qantas, Emirates and stopped flying over this area months before this incident.

It tells you a lot about these airlines. In week before this MH17 incident, the Ukrainians has shot down a military transport plane and major airlines flew 800 flights in one week over this area.
It tells you something about the competence of the management teams and their risk assessment teams.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Maybe the decision was based on fuel cost and assumed risk rather than competence per se.

Airlines could be installing chaff and flares if not for cost..

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Maybe the decision was based on fuel cost and assumed risk rather than competence per se.

Airlines could be installing chaff and flares if not for cost..

But chaff and flares will make it more expensive for airlines. Anwyay, I don't think MAS should be blamed too much for using that route for economic reasons. In the first place they were not prohibited from going there and in fact except for 3 airline companies, all the other major airlines, even our neighbor's flag carrier, are using that same route. This is the closest thing that I experienced that make me want to believe in luck or bad luck. MAS is seriously in bad luck lately. Tony must be secretly grinning...

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
The most interesting thing about this incident for me is that about 20 or more airlines who all fly the trans-Asian route and have the same information came to completely different conclusions.

It also shatters the myth of reputation and safety record of big name airlines like Singapore Airlines, Air India, Lufthansa, Malaysian Airlines, Ethihad, and many more.

But British Airways, Qantas, Emirates and stopped flying over this area months before this incident.

It tells you a lot about these airlines. In week before this MH17 incident, the Ukrainians has shot down a military transport plane and major airlines flew 800 flights in one week over this area.
It tells you something about the competence of the management teams and their risk assessment teams.
I'm fairly certain Emirates was flying in the area (23 times if I'm not mistaken) in the time leading up to the incident. When I looked at the list of airliners that were still active in this air space most of them were based in Eastern Europe-Central Asia, Middle East, South Asia and South East Asia. The exceptions were Lufthansa, KLM and Austrian Airlines. Actually the most active airliner in the conflict zone was Aeroflot (don't know what to make of that).

Perhaps this came down to which airliners had the option/liberty to switch routes for their specific flights? IDK, hard to say... but as per some respectable experts I've heard so far this wasn't an act of incompetence on MA's part it was just really bad luck.

bhramos

Country flag

This is the official crew list of MH17 released by Malaysia Airlines. These are the members of our family that were stolen away from us. Their family and friends are in our thoughts and prayers.

Hari Sud

Country flag
In this case incompetence proved deadly.

In a civil war, who do you punish.

Do not listen to American propaganda. They want to link Russia to it. Half of the world has American missiles, the other half Russian missiles.

Wait, the American supplied Iraqi Army sooner or later is going to shoot a Syrian or Iraqi (Caliphate) plane. Will America take the blame. It is a civil war run by incompetent leaders. They knowingly or unknowingly will shoot at planes just to prove their presence. Who do you blame?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles