Six submarines to be made in india

Country flag
In a major boost to the Navy, grappling with dwindling submarine strength, the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has approved of a proposal to build six conventional diesel-electric submarines indigenously. The project cost has been estimated at Rs. 50,000 crore.

The original plan was to have a global tender with two submarines built in a foreign shipyard and the rest in India.

Now all six submarines will be built in a single Indian shipyard within the country under the "Make in India" category with foreign collaboration.

The council has decided to set up a committee to decide on the shipyards to be issued the Request for Proposal (RFP).

The shipyards compliant will be identified within two months.

These submarines will have air-independent propulsion for extended submergence, land attack missile capability and stealth features. The Navy is currently making do with 14 submarines.

In a Rs. 3,200-crore deal, Mr. Jaitley has taken a call to go ahead with Israel-made Rafael's Spike anti-tank guided missiles, rather than take forward the U.S. offer of joint production of Javelin missiles.

The deal includes 8,000-plus missiles, 300-plus launchers and requisite technology transfer to Bharat Dynamics Ltd. (BDL) to build them indigenously. Spike is a third-generation, fire-and-forget, man-portable anti-tank missile. It is intended to equip the 382 Infantry battalions and subsequently the mechanised forces.

The major deals include 363 new BMP-2/2k infantry vehicles to be built by the Ordnance Factory in Medak, Telangana, at a cost of Rs. 1,800 crore and a repeat order of 12 Dorniers, with enhanced sensors, for the Navy to be built by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL) at a cost of Rs. 1,850 crore. The Navy currently operates over 40 of them.

An amount of Rs. 740 crore was allotted for 1,768 critical rolling stock wagons used to transport equipment by the Army to replace the existing ones which are more than 30 years old. Five and 7.5 tonne radio relay containers, which are mounted on vehicles with communication equipment, worth Rs. 662 crore were cleared for which Acceptance of Necessity (AON) will be issued soon to domestic manufacturers.

According to informed sources, a deal to acquire Midget submarines for the Navy to undertake 'special operations' has also been cleared. Pending deals to acquire heavy torpedoes for the under-construction Scorpene submarines and 127mm high calibre naval guns for future warships have been deferred due to technical issues and are likely to be cleared soon.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/six-submarines-to-be-made-in-india/article6533492.ece

sgarg

I feel that "foreign collaboration" word should be dropped and the sub be made as per Indian design and manufacture.

Indian yard can take foreign consultancy wherever needed and/or procure equipment from foreign sources which are not available in India.

The government mandated "foreign collaboration" is a show-stopper.

Zebra

Country flag
I feel that "foreign collaboration" word should be dropped and the sub be made as per Indian design and manufacture.

Indian yard can take foreign consultancy wherever needed and/or procure equipment from foreign sources which are not available in India.

I don't agree with that red color part.

But yeah, I do agree with it that GoI should offer to Indian shipyards to make their own submarine if they are interested in it.

They can take somebody's help if they like.

Govt can select shipyards on the basis of their capabilities and consider whatever they make in initial stage as additional boats.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag

I don't agree with that red color part.

But yeah, I do agree with it that GoI should offer to Indian shipyards to make their own submarine if they are interested in it.

They can take somebody's help if they like.

Govt can select shipyards on the basis of their capabilities and consider whatever they make in initial stage as additional boats.
Agree with both of you in a way ....

Foreign Collaboration is required but should not mandatory....

This is my take on this mandatory aspect...

1)This will insure better deliveries and on time.
2)New technologies.
3)Once the order by India is complete, due to the investment made they will still be operational.... I MEAN THEY WILL BE OUTSOURCING work .
4)It will improve availability of spares....later on.
5)It will bring initial capital to set up structure etc etc.
6)Reduce Risk...
7)Provides you with a tested platform.
8)I know starting from scratch is good but it will save many years if not money... and we are in desperate need rite now....
9)With experienced partner there will be not many hiccups.
10)Improve your International image as well...will surely attract exports....
11)MADE IN INDIA....

Country flag
Indigenous aip has already been developed and if we can build arihant I am sure
A lot more has been learned. SLBM and torpedoes have been tested in poontons.
Any foreign collaboration will be minimal .

Zebra

Country flag
India Approves Production Of Indigenous Submarines Worth $2.9 Billion

India Approves Production Of Indigenous Submarines Worth $2.9 Billion

Source : Our Bureau , Dated : Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Indian Defense Ministry has approved to build six conventional diesel electric submarines indigenously. The preliminary (AON) cost of the project would be Rs.18798 crore ($2.9 billion).

However, the final cost arises through the bidding / negotiation process.

The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has approved constitution of a 'Core Committee' to identify suitable Indian shipyards to bid for construction of six submarines.

Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar said in Parliament yesterday.
:thumb:

karn

Country flag
Re: India Approves Production Of Indigenous Submarines Worth $2.9 Bill

This is old news . By the time a foreign partner and local shipyard is chosen and then design is frozen it will be at least 3 years before steel cutting takes place.

Zebra

Country flag

This is old news . By the time a foreign partner and local shipyard is chosen and then design is frozen it will be at least 3 years before steel cutting takes place.
Any news reports / articles about that "old news".

I asked it because this news report doesn't say anything about "foreign partners".

OR

This is Project 75I....!

karn

Country flag

Any news reports / articles about that "old news".

I asked it because this news report doesn't say anything about "foreign partners".

OR

This is Project 75I....!
6 Made-in-India Submarines for Navy for 53,000 Crores
The Indian Navy - the end users - will identify shipyards that can acquire the technology from foreign manufacturers and build the boats on schedule. The process of identifying the shipyards will be completed in the next two months
Yes this is Project 75I .
Edit: I misread ... I think that this is the news from october being reported again as . It is dated decemer 24th but the last day of parliament was 23 december . Also had there been a design from the Navy design center we would have heard of it by now .
I just think its too farfetched that the navy would want to operate 3 different types of diesel submarines .

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
India Approves $8 Billion Plan for Nuclear Subs, Stealth Frigates

The Indian government has cleared plans for the indigenous development and construction of important naval assets, including six nuclear-powered submarines and seven stealth frigates. According to sources cited by both Indian and international media, the decision was made recently by the Indian Cabinet's Committee on Security (CCS). The total cost of these defense initiatives stands at an estimated $8 billion.

Inducting these submarines and frigates into the Indian Navy will broaden New Delhi's strategic options in the Indian Ocean. Additionally, the projects will help realize Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's plans to indigenize defense production while modernization India's military capabilities. As part of Modi's "Make in India" campaign, the government is eager to build up a robust domestic military-industrial base while simultaneously lowering India's reliance on defense imports. India is currently the world's largest arms importer, relying on Russian and U.S. arms for a large portion of its needs. In recent years, India has developed some competency in indigenous production. For example, the INS Arihant, India's first indigenously designed nuclear submarine, is currently undergoing sea trials.

That the government's announcement emphasizes maritime assets should come as no surprise. Despite facing land-based conventional threats from both Pakistan and China, India has focused on modernizing its navy in a bid for greater access and control over the Indian Ocean. New Delhi's interest in naval modernization has been intensified by perceptions of an increasingly assertive China slowly making its way into the Indian Ocean region.

"Our security challenges are well known. Our international responsibilities are evident," Modi remarked on Wednesday at a defense trade show. He noted that India needs to increase its "defense preparedness." After coming to power last May, Modi's government increased limits on foreign direct investment in India's defense sector, allowing for 49 percent stakes for non-Indian interests in defense projects. Additionally, India's defense expenditures are expected to accelerate over the next few years to meet modern challenges.

The plan to add six nuclear submarines is a modification to a decision made last fall by India's Defense Acquisition Council (DAC) that approved the construction of six conventional diesel-electric submarines. "The government has tweaked the project under which the CCS has taken a decision that the next six submarines would be nuclear-powered, unlike the conventional ones that were envisaged," a government source told the press. Both initiatives are part of a broader 30-year submarine force building and modernization plan approved by the Indian government in 1999. Other initiatives, including India's development of six Scorpene-class diesel-electric submarines and refurbishment and upgrading of the Sishumar- and Sindhughosh-class vessels, are also part of this plan. Currently, India's submarine force is largely outdated and limited in its capabilities — India currently operates just 13 diesel-electric submarines.

India Approves $8 Billion Plan for Nuclear Subs, Stealth Frigates | The Diplomat

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles