Foreign nations inquire about GRSE's shipbuilding capabilities

Dhairya Yadav

Foreign nations inquire about GRSE's shipbuilding capabilities - The Times of India

KOLKATA: Friendly nations are looking into the possibility of getting their ships built by the Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE), Rear Admiral (retd) A K Verma, chairman-cum-managing director, GRSE, said on Monday during the launch of a Landing Craft Utility (LCU) for the Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC). Vice Admiral P K Chatterjee, commander-in-chief, ANC (CINCAN), was the chief guest during the event.

"Friendly countries are inquiring about the shipbuilding capabilities of GRSE and are interested in placing orders," Verma said. When asked about the countries that have made inquiries, the CMD told TOI: "I wouldn't like to name the countries as we are competing with other countries that are very well known for their shipbuilding capabilities. However, these are countries from Central Asia, North Africa and Latin America."

Speaking to GRSE workers in Bengali, the CINCAN urged them to pay attention to aesthetics. "It is important that the finishing is good. This is when people say that the ship has been built by a powerful country. You have the skill. Once you can ensure timely delivery, your order books will be full," he said.

Last edited:

Dhairya Yadav

This would help us achieve our aim to become a Defence Export power house. Any idea which ships are foreigners interested to buy?

Last edited:

rohit b3

Country flag
The last I know, GRSE entered a bid to build Frigates for the Phillipines. It would probably showcase the Kamorta Class, or a derivative.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
GRSE has a capacity to build naval boats and has to its credit guided-missile frigates, corvettes, fleet tankers, fast patrol vessels, amphibious warfare vessels and hovercraft.

It has been awarded a contract to build four Kamorta class corvettes.

Dhairya Yadav

As the countries involved in this matter would most likely be poor, I dont think that they would acquire any latest weaponry of IN.

Most likely it will be missile boats and patrol vessels.

If this materializes, would this be the 1st time India would be exporting newly made naval vessels or we have done it in past?

ladder

Country flag
As the countries involved in this matter would most likely be poor, I dont think that they would acquire any latest weaponry of IN.

If this materializes, would this be the 1st time India would be exporting newly made naval vessels or we have done it in past?
Mauritius OPV CGS Barracuda for coast guard of Mauritius being built at GRSE is the first warship built for export by India.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Compared to nations who have the expertise to build naval warships, Indian naval warships will be a steal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles