INS Sindhurakshak catches fire at naval dockyard in Mumbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamwiseTheBrave

Maybe RAW is testing out its TTPs for sabotaging the Chinese Navy when (not if) PLAN subs start basing out of Trincomalee.
@SamwiseTheBrave :lol:
more likely that the Chinese and Paki intel agencies are involved here - thanks for the not-so-subtle hint,
but i`ll hold my words until the offical findings report comes through.
its a bit too muchy of a coincidence that we discuss the sabotage activity and something suspicious like this happens :p
and that to in big week for the IN when there were 2 major announcements.
though if sabotage is proven even unofficially, then My dear Chinese friend, the gloves will be well and truly off :accepted:

the question i`d ask is : cuo bono ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No it is not sabotage, no it is not failure to adhere to SOP, the problem is RUSSIAN QUALITY CONTROL! One only has to look at the history of Russian submarine accidents and the own history of Sindurakshak's previous battery fire. Nerpa, Kursk... the list goes on.

SamwiseTheBrave

RIP and respect for the brave submariners, and our prayers and condolences to their families in this difficult time

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Conform warhead explosion..

What you suggested, seems true..

Such huge flames cannot be from small hatches ..

Kunal sir i fear this

this is torpedo room of Kilo class, just imagine what must have happen inside it was fully armed, with Torpedo and club missile.

while color light is fuel propellant of Kilo missile. Confirm by Commodore C Raja Mohan defence analysis.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
"The Kilo-class submarines do not have automatic monitoring systems which mean the overcharging is manually supervised," says a former Kilo-class submarine skipper. The built-up hydrogen during a battery charging is sucked out by two blowers. The performance of these blowers can be affected if a proper vacuum is not maintained in the exhaust pathway. If the vacuum as well as the exhaust pathway is not maintained, hydrogen settles in small pockets which can be triggered off by any small spark like a falling utility tool.

Read more at: Explosion on Indian Navy submarine INS Sindhurakshak possibly due to gas buildup : North, News - India Today

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
According to the people around, First sound was of a rocket or jet then explosion, this happens when there is fuel ignite in confined space and release through small pockets While in case of warhead it just would have explode on first place, This cannot be work of sabotage..

1. Leaked fuel caught fire
2. Cooking of warhead and the explosion..

Last edited by a moderator:

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
This is coz of strategic location of Mumbai in Arabian sea with respect to Pakistan..
Location wise I don't think there's anything unique about Mumbai vis a vis the surrounding coastal region. Mumbai is however the only natural port in that area. Granted it is ludicrously expensive to excavate another area to create a base... nonetheless the idea of a loaded sub in a Mumbai harbor just seems irksome. Also generally bases are located in areas where it's difficult for prying eyes to detect when a sub gets deployed; this can't possibly be easy in an area as densely packed as Mumbai.

SamwiseTheBrave

No it is not sabotage, no it is not failure to adhere to SOP, the problem is RUSSIAN QUALITY CONTROL! One only has to look at the history of Russian submarine accidents and the own history of Sindurakshak's previous battery fire. Nerpa, Kursk... the list goes on.
well then, monsieur, are we planning to work double time and make a fine display of French industriousness and commitment to get the Scorepene projects completetd on time and with good quality ?

venkat

List of 18 indian navy men in sindhurakshak @C LIVEFIST

S No. Name of Officers Rank
01 NIKHILESH PAL LTCDR
02. ALOK KUMAR LTCDR
03. R VENKITARAJ LTCDR
S No. Name of Sailors Rank
04. SANJEEV KUMAR PO UW I
05. KC UPADHYAY PO UW I
06. TIMOTHY SINHA PO UW I
07. KEWAL SINGH LS UC I
08. SUNIL KUMAR SEA I UW III
09. DASARI PRASAD MECH(R) 2
10. LIJU LAWRENCE LEMP
11. RAJESH TOOTIKA LME
12. AMIT K SINGH STD I
13. ATUL SHARMA SEA I
14. VIKAS E SEA I
15. NARUTTAM DEURI ME I
16. MALAY HALDAR EMR II
17. VISHNU V RO II
18. SEETARAM BADAPALLI LS RP I

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
INS Sindhurakshak tragedy: bodies of 3 sailors found
Reported by Nitin Gokhale, Edited by Deepshikha Ghosh | Updated: August 16, 2013 10:29 IST

New Delhi: The bodies of two of the 18 crewmen on board the Navy submarine INS Sindhurakshak, which sank two days ago after an explosion and fire, have been found.

Rescue and salvage operations are still on; rescuers have still not been able to access the inside of the vessel fully.

There is no word yet on the other crewmen who were on board the submarine when it exploded.
Source: INS Sindhurakshak: bodies of 3 of 18 missing sailors found in wreckage | NDTV.com

pankaj nema

Country flag
According to LIVE TV statement of Navy PRO ( No source available right now )

1 The bodies are in bad Condition and can only be identified by DNA analysis

2 The space inside the submarine has been reduced due to the mangled equipment
and only ONE diver can enter at a time

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Submarine's twin hulls contained fire, reduced losses
Sources said that if a single hull submarine had suffered the explosion that sunk the Sindhurakshak — India's other class of Shishumar is single hulled — the impact would have engulfed surrounding warships and submarines, causing massive casualties. The ruptured hull would have also thrown out the heavy armament load in the warship, causing potential explosions in the surrounding area.

"The Mumbai dock is one of the most congested areas where warships are placed. The large number of ships and submarines in a small place make it very vulnerable to accidents. There is perhaps no other place in the world where warships are docked so close to each other," said an officer.
According to sources, the Mumbai dock is so congested that at times three submarines have to be docked next to each other due to lack of space. In the case of the Sindhurakshak too, it was docked with the Sindhuratna when the accident took place. The double hull contained the explosion, giving rescue teams enough time to remove the Sindhuratna that suffered only minor damage to its casing.

"We shudder to think what would have happened if the Sindhurakshak was docked on the outer side and the Sindhuratna was caught between the burning submarine and the dock side. It would have been very difficult to extricate the vessel," the officer added.
Submarine's twin hulls contained fire, reduced losses - Indian Express

vishwaprasad

Country flag
I had once heard that our HDW class subs have detachable capsules which is helpful for crew to come on the surface if submarine is met with accident and stuck in deep waters....I just want to know if this kind of capsules are there in our kilos as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles