INS Vishal (IAC- II) Aircraft Carrier - Flattop or Ski Jump

Crusader53

i agree rafael will never be a state of the art and prime air superiority will be pak-fa and pmf by the end of this decade like su-30mki was in the last decade.also rafeal can handle non stealth missions like it demostrated in missions in libya ands mali.rafael will play the roll of a gap filler since large no. of mig-21's are retiring this decade and the tejas mk2 is not a mature platform till say 2018.also 126 isn't a very big no.
The Rafale when it enters service. Will of course have to fight whatever opponent it comes across. Which, could be an Advance 5th Generation Fighter. Which, could be of Russian, Chinese, or American Design. Who could predict what India could face in another 15-20 years.

nishantgupta

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty:
Broken down...what it means is that because India took 20 years to make LCA: A superb 4+ gen plane made from scratch with little to no support from outside without any internal abilities to talk of, we will take the same time for AMCA after having all the capabilities in hand now. Lets see...only time will tell who is right.

On the other hand, China with no own technological accomplishments to talk about will have truckloads of J-20's and J-31's before we can blink an eye. I am seriously scared! Pun intended please.

While Pakistan gets Chinese planes after paying for them, USA gifts planes and warships to Pakistan for free! Who is to say that F-35 will not be facing us from that border as well?

Bottom line: According to you an F-35B purchased YESTERDAY is the only thing that will save India from a sure total doom 20 years down the line. Another matter that its a plane that is grounded and still under testing. Another matter that it may take years even for that to enter Indian service IF we buy it. You do have other commitments first...right? Or has everyone else backed out?

I see no reason in your discussion other than the above which I find just fantastical and not requiring time on my part on a daily basis. You have still to explain the VALUE of F-35B vis-a-vis other possible planes for Indian Navy requirements which you dont seem to have.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@blueblood, What are you suggesting ?

5.) Carrier Aircraft are most often outnumber for obvious reasons. So, if an Aircraft Carrier is likely to survive in combat and accomplish its mission. It needs the most capable aircraft available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crusader53

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty:
Broken down...what it means is that because India took 20 years to make LCA: A superb 4+ gen plane made from scratch with little to no support from outside without any internal abilities to talk of, we will take the same time for AMCA after having all the capabilities in hand now. Lets see...only time will tell who is right.

On the other hand, China with no own technological accomplishments to talk about will have truckloads of J-20's and J-31's before we can blink an eye. I am seriously scared! Pun intended please.

While Pakistan gets Chinese planes after paying for them, USA gifts planes and warships to Pakistan for free! Who is to say that F-35 will not be facing us from that border as well?

Bottom line: According to you an F-35B purchased YESTERDAY is the only thing that will save India from a sure total doom 20 years down the line. Another matter that its a plane that is grounded and still under testing. Another matter that it may take years even for that to enter Indian service IF we buy it. You do have other commitments first...right? Or has everyone else backed out?

I see no reason in your discussion other than the above which I find just fantastical and not requiring time on my part on a daily basis. You have still to explain the VALUE of F-35B vis-a-vis other possible planes for Indian Navy requirements which you dont seem to have.

India can't wait 20+ years for the AMCA in my opinion. Especially, with the projected threats from the other major powers. Especially, China as they have the will and the resources. If, the latter can develop and get to the air such types as the J-20 and J-31 its scary to say the least. While, I doubt they will match the US and to a less extent Russia. They maybe closer than we like. Plus, the fact that they could and likely will produce them in great numbers.

Also, what alarms me most is Russia's willingness to sell China the Su-35. Which, has many advance components for the forthcoming PAK-FA. Which, as I said in my previous posting. That Russia may sell to China for the right price.

Crusader53

As a matter of fact I believe India should skip the Rafale and order a combination of PAK-FA's and F-35's in the short term. With the latter being manufactured in India in place of the Rafale. In addition I would look to the US or Europe as a possible partner for the ACMA. Right now Lockheed Martin and Boeing are at the early stages of planning 6th Generation Fighters. Which, is not saying Russia couldn't be included. I just believe the US and Europe have more to offer.

This way India will have the best from Russia and the US.(again in the short term) Then I would develop the ACMA not as a 5th Generation Design but a 6th Generation Design.

Last edited:
Reactions: sob

trackwhack

I clearly support the F-35 and very proud of the fact! What we don't have Indian supporters that promote the PAK-FA?:frusty:
Big difference between supporting and peddling. Especially when the merchandize is a piece of unproven junk.

trackwhack

As a matter of fact I believe India should skip the Rafale and order a combination of PAK-FA's and F-35's in the short term. With the latter being manufactured in India in place of the Rafale. In addition I would look to the US or Europe as a possible partner for the ACMA. Right now Lockheed Martin and Boeing are at the early stages of planning 6th Generation Fighters. Which, is not saying Russia couldn't be included. I just believe the US and Europe have more to offer.

This way India will have the best from Russia and the US.(again in the short term) Then I would develop the ACMA not as a 5th Generation Design but a 6th Generation Design.
Yes why not. The whole world will be one happy family the day americans, Russians, Europeans and Indians building one fighter. Sure why not.:laugh:

nishantgupta

India can't wait 20+ years for the AMCA in my opinion. Especially, with the projected threats from the other major powers. Especially, China as they have the will and the resources. If, the latter can develop and get to the air such types as the J-20 and J-31 its scary to say the least. While, I doubt they will match the US and to a less extent Russia. They maybe closer than we like. Plus, the fact that they could and likely will produce them in great numbers.

Also, what alarms me most is Russia's willingness to sell China the Su-35. Which, has many advance components for the forthcoming PAK-FA. Which, as I said in my previous posting. That Russia may sell to China for the right price.
Same old! You will not learn. Changing the grammar doesn't make your point different. I quit. You win! Congratulations! Your point is made.

lookieloo

What's the selection of in-production CATOBAR fighters looking like for 2025?

Somreet Bhattacharya

India has a bleak chance of going for a PAK FA and F-35 config due to the very fact that both are different aircrafts and would require immense logistical supports to maintain..in which case the PAK FA seems to have a higher probability of being accepted..Secondly, ya even I agree that the AMCA should be a 6th gen stuff..Its not that I am against the F-35 being taken for consideration but the problem with the US goods is they come with too many barriers to operate, I mean in case of a conflict with India's western neighbour the F-35s might face a situation where the system might not allow Indian pilots to take down the US-made aircraft they use, given the similarity with the systems..until the US supplies India with the source codes to change configurations..which is highly unlikely...The Russian stuff scores over that coz somehow the end-user law is not that stringent for India in their case, ofcourse there is a chance that they might sell the PAK FA to China, but aircrafts will have different source codes and ofcourse local customisations, which will make the difference...since future warfare will be more based on these little changes

Therefore, Indian orders for US made stuff as of now and probably in future might just remain confined to transport aircraft and smaller batches of combat aircraft...

Last edited:

p2prada

What's the selection of in-production CATOBAR fighters looking like for 2025?
SH International version, Rafale M and F-35C, available to India.

Russian attempts at a carrier may be for STOBAR versions.

The Chinese may have at least one CATOBAR capable production aircraft by then.

lookieloo

SH International version, Rafale M and F-35C, available to India.

Russian attempts at a carrier may be for STOBAR versions.

The Chinese may have at least one CATOBAR capable production aircraft by then.
That was kinda a rhetorical question. SH international is notional only, so if anyone wants it by 2025, they'd better get serious pretty soon (nothing remotely official even speculated). Rafale yes, Rafale M... same as SH international; if something official doesn't happen real soon... nope. Russian models: even more unlikely unless development begins in earnest quickly. Anything Chinese: totally unavailable without a radical shift in international policy.

p2prada

SH international is notional only, so if anyone wants it by 2025, they'd better get serious pretty soon (nothing remotely official even speculated).
Yeah. Also SH comes with performance degradation compared to Rafale M. The least likely contender here.

Rafale yes, Rafale M... same as SH international; if something official doesn't happen real soon... nope.
Dunno what you are talking about. The CATOBAR version of Rafale is Rafale M. It's been in production since the beginning of the program. The first active squadron was Rafale M.

Any IN tender will be a competition between Rafale and F-35C.

lookieloo

Dunno what you are talking about. The CATOBAR version of Rafale is Rafale M. It's been in production since the beginning of the program. The first active squadron was Rafale M.
Meaning it will be finished a lot sooner since only ~60 are planned for the French Navy. By the time India gets around to holding an IAC II fighter competition (say, 2020), the F-35C will likely be the only competitor in mass production. Rafale M might still be a possibility, but India would have to pay top-dollar for a low-volume product that's middle-aged.

Defcon 1

Country flag
IN has expressed firm requirement of 42 NLCA. Dunno where will they be used. IAC2.................

Last edited:

lookieloo

IN has expressed firm requirement of 42 NLCA. Dunno where will they be used. IAC2.................
Having a "firm requirement" for 42 of *something* isn't anywhere close to actually putting a vendor to work building it. If IAC II tender is held sooner, then it'll probably be the Rafale M (with SH as a remote possibility); if it's held later, then the F-35C is probably the only option; if it's held MUCH later, then the AMCA becomes a possibility.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles