Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
Capability yes, capacity I do not know. I heard that we are having serious issues with our capacity since we have so many things going on at same time.

StealthSniper

Capability yes, capacity I do not know. I heard that we are having serious issues with our capacity since we have so many things going on at same time.

That's a good point, I also agree that we have the capability but I heard our shipyards are already logged with orders to keep them busy for awhile. Their was talk of some smaller shipyards that were expanding and inducting more equipment to deal with larger ships, and I remember the government aquired a private shipyard (I think it was Hindustan shipyard) to meet it's defence needs.

Here's a link I found:

http://steelguru.com/news/indian_ne...ernment_to_set_up_international_shipyard.html

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Okay guys I actually found the link that says that India wants to build it's own 4 LPD's that are the size of the INS Jalashwa.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Navy-to-build-four-amphibious-warships/553560/
Thanks for the link. It looks like India wants Mistral to augment thier amphibous capabilities until their LPDs come a reality. Or it may be that like Russia, they want to license produce several of the class. IN with 4 Mistral class assualt ships would make formidable power projection a reality.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
capacity is a problem with india. in fact if I remember correctly, there were reports of hiring foreign yards to build ships including destroyers and frigates. There are major expansion programs on at various shipyards and also since the govt has allowed private participation in defense, we have many private players coming in to build ships. I am sure in the coming years, indian defense industry will be vibrant and efficient and will rival anyone in its class.

StealthSniper

Thanks for the link. It looks like India wants Mistral to augment thier amphibous capabilities until their LPDs come a reality. Or it may be that like Russia, they want to license produce several of the class. IN with 4 Mistral class assualt ships would make formidable power projection a reality.

Well I'm sorry to say but the link you provided really isn't anything to go off of where my link is a very credible one and has been mentioned in other places also. I am not saying that the Mistral class ship is a bad ship (it's an awesome ship) but the link I provided just makes a lot of sense in regards to our economy and indigenous production. I think the Indian Navy is very smart to build the LPD's in house and I bet they got a lot of good knowledge from the LPD they got from America. It seems they want to have around 5 LPD's total and I don't see how they can have 4 Mistral class ships plus 5 indigenous ones in their Naval force.

India is already designing the LPD as we speak and they are looking at a total number of 5 LPD's around 2020-2025. It wouldn't make sense to buy these ships from France when we are already having problems with our Scorpenes and are behind schedule with them as it is. Also building in house cuts out the middleman and brings corruption down, not to mention it will save us a TON of money overall and we can configure our ships the way we want and to our needs.

I am not going to say that their is NO chance that we won't get the Mistral class ship (it is a good ship), but when we look at the overall picture and what our senior naval officer has said, I think building the LPD's in house is the best thing India can do.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Well I'm sorry to say but the link you provided really isn't anything to go off of where my link is a very credible one and has been mentioned in other places also. I am not saying that the Mistral class ship is a bad ship (it's an awesome ship) but the link I provided just makes a lot of sense in regards to our economy and indigenous production. I think the Indian Navy is very smart to build the LPD's in house and I bet they got a lot of good knowledge from the LPD they got from America. It seems they want to have around 5 LPD's total and I don't see how they can have 4 Mistral class ships plus 5 indigenous ones in their Naval force.

India is already designing the LPD as we speak and they are looking at a total number of 5 LPD's around 2020-2025. It wouldn't make sense to buy these ships from France when we are already having problems with our Scorpenes and are behind schedule with them as it is. Also building in house cuts out the middleman and brings corruption down, not to mention it will save us a TON of money overall and we can configure our ships the way we want and to our needs.

I am not going to say that their is NO chance that we won't get the Mistral class ship (it is a good ship), but when we look at the overall picture and what our senior naval officer has said, I think building the LPD's in house is the best thing India can do.
The link I provided was a remark from a DCNS spokesman talking to Russian papers about the Mistral. DCN has been approached by India for a ship. India wants to modernise her shipyards as well as Russia. India is likely waiting on the Russian deal to see what kind of ToT and workshare we are willing to give. St. Nazaire has been hard up for work with the PA2 being held off until 2011. The Russian sale will provide plenty of work until then and should have no problem transfering the workload and technology over to the RF since we will have our hands full with PA2. Whether India just wants a Mistral to give them experience operating a ship that meets all their requirements or the ToT of it to skip wasting money reinventing the wheel is something to watch.

StealthSniper

The link I provided was a remark from a DCNS spokesman talking to Russian papers about the Mistral. DCN has been approached by India for a ship. India wants to modernise her shipyards as well as Russia. India is likely waiting on the Russian deal to see what kind of ToT and workshare we are willing to give. St. Nazaire has been hard up for work with the PA2 being held off until 2011. The Russian sale will provide plenty of work until then and should have no problem transfering the workload and technology over to the RF since we will have our hands full with PA2. Whether India just wants a Mistral to give them experience operating a ship that meets all their requirements or the ToT of it to skip wasting money reinventing the wheel is something to watch.

I think that the INS Jalashwa will give the Indian design and engineering crew a huge step forward in building their own in house LPD, rather then not having a LPD in the first place and starting from scratch. But if it is needed maybe they could just buy 1 Mistral class ship to maybe gain operating experience on, and also get ToT to use on it's own indigenous ships of the future. We do know for sure that we will have 4 LPD's in the same vein as the INS Jalashwa, but if we can also get 1 Mistral class ship (which is slightly larger and is more of a helicopter carrier) I think it can't hurt if it's not too expensive and it works well for the Indian and French governments.

nandu

Boeing updates on delivery of the P-8i maritime aircraft to the Indian Navy

22 Feb 2010 8ak: Richard Buck, Program Manager, International Operations, Boeing spoke to 8ak editor, Manu Sood to give us an update on the delivery of the P-8I aircraft to the Indian Navy. Mr Buck told 8ak that the P-8i program was well on track and 2010 will be a critical year for the program as the lab testing of aircraft is scheduled this year, before adding that the delivery of the first aircraft can commence as early as 2013, and the rest being delivered by 2015. In August 2009, the government of India and the U.S. government signed a technical assistance agreement that allowed the program to move forward with the necessary technical discussions required to execute the program. In October 2009, the program completed a successful Preliminary Design Review.
The P-8i has integrated Raytheon's advanced AN/APY-10 synthetic aperture radar for tracking ships, submarines and small coastal vessels; Northrop Grumman's electronic warfare self-protection suite and electronic surveillance measures systems; BAE Systems' countermeasures dispenser system; GE Aerospace's flight and stores/weapons management system, and GE-SAFRAN's powerful CFM 56-7 engines. The company also confirmed that weapons and stores, such as the Boeing-built Harpoon Block II missile, are part of the agreement, to be acquired through the U.S. government under its Foreign Military Sales program.
The program is significant for India, not only because it is the first foreign customer for the P-8i, thereby signifying the new US- India military ties, but also because the size of the offsets program is a whopping US$600 million, which will surely benefit the Indian defence industry.
Many people wrongly believe that this was a government-to-government deal through the Foreign Military Sales route (FMS) but Mr Buck confirmed that the deal was signed after a global tender which requires an offset commitment. Boeing recently signed contracts with three Indian public-sector companies and one private-sector firm to source avionics and electronic equipment. Purchase contracts have been released to the Electronics Corp. of India Ltd. (ECIL), HAL Avionics Division, Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL) and Avantel Softech Ltd. Additionally, Boeing has made source selections on three additional aircraft systems. Contracts for those systems will be solidified in the near future. Equipment and software from the Indian suppliers will be delivered to Seattle for incorporation into the P-8I.
The P-8I’s has a range of 1,920km Factor. Boeing has offered the Indian navy a Universal Air Refueling Receptacle Slipway Installation, which can accommodate an air refueling boom similar to those used on the KC-135 and KC-10.
Asked what the difference between the American P8-A and India's P8-I was, Mr Buck replied that the Indian version is customised to India's needs and meets 100% of the requirements as required by the Indian Navy.

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a010536e7add0970c01310f282b1f970c

A.V.

Even russia was interested in misrals
russia still is they are negotiating in the midst of serious opposition from local manufacturers but the georgia war showed the poor deployment of the russian troops they are looking for such ships which can help quick deployment of armed personnel and machinery in event of conflict

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Myanmar Navy Chief in New Delhi

BY : ANI
Commander-in-Chief of the Myanmar Navy, Vice Admiral Nyan Tun, who is in Delhi, on an official visit to India, met Defence Minister A.K. Antony along with Chief of Army Staff General Deepak Kapoor, the Indian Navy chief, Admiral Nirmal Verma, and the Vice Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal P.K. Barbora today.
Tun will remain in India till Thursday (Feb. 25).
India shares a 1,645-kilometre border in its east with Myanmar.
Myanmar recently took part in the 13-nation ‘Milan 2010′, a biennial meeting of navies from South Asia and the Asia-Pacific region, including Australia and New Zealand.
The five-day event, which was hosted by India, commenced on February 5 at Port Blair in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Navies from Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam took part in the event.
Defying concerns over China’s naval expansion and its growing influence in the region, India’s Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma, has repeatedly stated the Milan group is not a security bloc.
India is also seeking Myanmar’s help in combating insurgent groups that have bases in Myanmar, and hopes that cross-border trade will boost the economy of its troubled and isolated northeast region.

http://idrw.org/?p=612

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Trishul SAM and the Indan Navy

Trishul SAM and the Indan Navy

February 23rd, 2010 | email this | digg it
Posted by P. Chacko Joseph

Former navy chief Admiral Sushil Kumar has filed a RTI as per reports in an Indian newspaper. He says that the decision to induct Israeli Barak anti-missile system was taken in 1993-94.
I remember my discussion with Admiral (Retd) Vishnu Bhagwat in 2007. What he told me was that navy was ready to wait for Trishul SAM to perform. Navy was ready for any indigenous weapon system to be deployed in Mark I phase, followed by the Mark II phase and so on. It has been 2 years since I met him.

The real issue here was that Israeli Barak anti-missile system was approved for the Indian Air Craft Carrier INS Viraat. Then the Navy was not ready to put it in more ships. Navy wanted Trishul SAM to be deployed on other ships and ultimately on INS Viraat.
After the dismissal of Admiral Bhagwat, the Barak systems were approved for some more ships.
As per the newspaper “claims by the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) that the indigenous Trishul project was in advance stages of development in 1999.” The Missile trials had some hits and some misses. This is why Admiral (Retd) Vishnu Bhagwat was ready to wait for Trishul SAM.
Type 25A Kora Class corvettes were supposed to field Trishul SAM’s. On 15 March 2001, the former Defence Minister George Fernandes stated that the missile has to undergo more trials and it will not be available before 2003.
It is true that navy ignored the Trishul and pushed for Barak. I am not sure that it was for bribe or something else. What I can say is that the decision was good for the country. Trishul SAM had more developmental problems later. What was not good for the county was the ignoring of Trishul SAM.

http://frontierindia.net/trishul-sam-and-the-indan-navy

gogbot

I dont understand what this article aims to prove, trishul was deemed not cost effective and shelved in favor of the Barak NG.

What's left for the trishul ?

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Indian navy training in Phuket ends today

BY : Phuket Gazet

Some 900 Indian Navy midshipmen are shipping out from Phuket this afternoon after taking part in training exercises aboard three visiting Indian warships: the INS TIR, the INS Krishna and the ICGS Varuna.
An Indian delegation, including Southern Naval Area Commander-in-Chief V/Adm Krishnan Nair Sushil and Indian Ambassador Pinak Ranjan Chakravarty, met their Thai counterparts at the Royal Thai Navy Base in Cape Panwa on Monday.

The Thai delegation was led by Royal Thai Navy Area Three commanding officer V/Adm Choomnoom Ardwong.
The four-day training exercise began on Sunday. The Indian vessels ship out this afternoon from Ao Makham to the Nicobar Islands. From there, their next stop will be Cochin City in India’s Kerala State. The three Indian training vessels’ last port of call was in Burma.
In addition to the training, the sailors also had some fun when a team of Indian midshipmen played a friendly football match on terra firma against a Royal Thai Navy team at Rajabaht Phuket University yesterday. The Thai sailors won the match 3-1.
V/Adm Choomnoom said the Thai and Indian navies continue to enjoy a strong and positive relationship.
The Indian visit follows a similar training exercise by the Thai Navy in India, he said.
India and Thailand are jointly responsible for preventing terrorism, piracy and securing maritime safety at the north end of the Malacca Strait, which starts off in Phuket and runs between the Malay peninsula and the Indonesian island of Sumatra. Half of the world’s shipped oil moves though this strait.
Some of the vessels that visited Phuket Deep Sea Port will be of interest to military maritime buffs.
The INS Krishna, now under the command of Cdr Nirbhay Bapna, was originally commissioned into the British Royal Navy in 1968 as HMS Andromeda, a Leander-class frigatethat saw action in the 1982 Falklands War.

http://idrw.org/?p=637

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Indian Navy has ‘hegemonic mindset’: Pak naval chief

BY : PTI

The Indian Navy’s current force structure and future expansion plans “reflect its hegemonic mindset to further flex its muscles and become a blue water navy,” Pakistan Navy chief Admiral Noman Bashir said today.
Bashir made the remarks while addressing a naval aviation seminar in the southern port city of Karachi.
He said the Pakistan Navy is keeping a watchful eye on its area of responsibility to ensure the free flow of traffic and to effectively tackle threats and challenges.
As the sea is the most economical medium of transport, sea lanes of communication have become lifelines for survival, economic growth and prosperity, he said.
However, the sea has also been exploited for illicit activities like piracy, drug smuggling and human trafficking, he noted.
Framing strategies to secure Pakistan’s interests and preserving the lawful maritime order in the face of these challenges is a multifaceted and demanding task, Bashir said.

http://idrw.org/?p=639

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Indian Navy has ‘hegemonic mindset’: Pak naval chief
Hahaha ! We become ‘hegemonic' if we have the money and they don't ! What an immature statement, especially coming from the Head of Navy.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Hahaha ! We become ‘hegemonic' if we have the money and they don't ! What an immature statement, especially coming from the Head of Navy.
It's the Pakistani naval chief did you expect anything else form his mouth

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
more trials soon:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/54775/auvs-trial-conducted-again-kerala.html

After the successful preliminary trial of the indigenously developed Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) in a Kerala reservoir, the Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute is expected to carry out another round of experiment in the same lake this year.

A senior scientist in-charge of the project said the trial conducted in the Idukki Dam reservoir, one of the largest in the country, was a success.

"Another round of trials will be held in the same lake before trying it in the sea," the scientist said from CMERI at Durgapur, a Research and Development Institute under the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).

"We chose Idukki reservoir in Kerala since it offers the required parameters for conducting the test", the scientist said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Besides its application for coastal security, the device could be used for various other purposes like sea-bed mapping and environmental data collection in the depths of the Indian Ocean. It could also be used as a tool for coastal security operations with further improvement of the device.

The scientist said the preliminary test was conducted for seven to eight days and the results were "very satisfactory".

"We brought the device, weighing 480kg and 4.8 metres in length in a truck from Durgapur in West Bengal," the scientist said.

The trial was conducted under tight security since the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was also involved in the project.

The vehicle is controlled by wireless navigational instrument from land. It is embedded with advanced power, propulsion, navigation, and control systems.

The biggest arch dam of Asia, Idukki reservoir is located about 250 km from Kerala’s capital Thiruvananthapuram, and its lake covers an area of 60 sq km.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
India-made stealth submarine to be tested next month

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: After the ‘eye in the sky’, here is a home-grown spy in the sea. India is all set to test its ‘‘Autonomous Underwater Vehicle-150’’ off the Chennai coast next month. Developed by the Durgapur-based Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI), a unit of the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), the unmanned vehicle, has immense civilian and military potential.

‘‘AUV-150 will be tested for sea-floor mapping and monitoring of environmental parameters, such as current, temperature, depth and salinity,’’ CMERI director Gautam Biswas told TOI. ‘‘Once the technology is proven, it will be customised for military applications, like mine counter-measures, coastal monitoring and reconnaissance. It will also be very useful in cable and pipeline surveys.’’

The project was sponsored by the ministry of earth sciences and had technical assistance from IIT-Kharagpur. ‘‘A full-scale prototype was put to freshwater test in Idukki dam in Kerala recently. All navigational parameters functioned satisfactorily,’’ said S N Shome, group head for robotics and automation at CMERI under whose supervision the AUV took shape.

The prototype weighs 490 kg, is 4.8 metres long and has a diameter of just 50 cm. It packs a wide array of gadgets into its slender frame — depth sensor, altimeter, sonar and GPS and payload sensors — apart from a hybrid communication system that uses radio waves while on the surface and acoustic underwater.
The remote controlled vehicle uses a Lithium polymer battery and can operate up to depths of 150 metres at speeds of 2-4 knots, say sources.

The AUV will leapfrog India to a select group of nations, like the US, Australia, Germany, Russia, Korea and Japan, which are vigorously pursuing autonomous underwater technology and underwater robotics. ‘‘The institute had been working on the project since 2003, but with the stress being on indigenization, it was bound to be time consuming,’’ said S Nandy, a scientist associated with the project.

Link
How is it a stealth submarine ?

I'd agree that Lithium polymer batteries make much lesser noise than a conventional diesel, but what about propeller blades and all ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles