Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Well this was already i think discussed before ..Still lets discuss ..These Nuclear ACs are very high maintenance and we don t have the infrastructure to even service them if i am not wrong ..Plus that $2 billion can be spent on few new warships by IN at this moment our biggest problem is the budget nothing else if we have the appetite like china or even russian defence budget we can go for it ..

But if we can buy an ACs i would like to buy it like Wet lease type ACs along with all the Fighters on the deck that would be really worth ..Why just buy AC when you don t have the Fighters to operate in it ...
As things are, the 2nd 40000 ton AC is a must and powerplants and launch systems can be changed later.

Superdefender

Well this was already i think discussed before ..Still lets discuss ..These Nuclear ACs are very high maintenance and we don t have the infrastructure to even service them if i am not wrong ..Plus that $2 billion can be spent on few new warships by IN at this moment our biggest problem is the budget nothing else if we have the appetite like china or even russian defence budget we can go for it ..

But if we can buy an ACs i would like to buy it like Wet lease type ACs along with all the Fighters on the deck that would be really worth ..Why just buy AC when you don t have the Fighters to operate in it ...
I have asked for non-nuclear ACs buddy!

captscooby81

Country flag
My apologies . . Well that will be even more expensive to maintain compare to nuclear one . Reasons why we decommissioned Virat and running with only one AC old non nuclear ones are more prone to maintenance . But leading is good if we are getting something new . We already operating ACs for last 40 years so we don't have lack of operational experience . So no point in leading ACs from US unless it's nuclear one to learn something new. Or may be leasing a SSBN would be a much better option something like Ohio class . .

I have asked for non-nuclear ACs buddy!

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Want to have a sneak peek on how the VC 11184 looks like now?
Here it is...
What is the tracking range and where it is(not specific location,just general location)
And by the way r u noor alam?

NeXoft007

Country flag
What is the tracking range and where it is(not specific location,just general location)
Yes I am, and anyways, the radars onboard itself is classified. So, no info of tracking range either. But anyways, it could easily be more than 1000km

Prashant12

Country flag
INS Betwa which toppled last year, undocked after refit

INS Betwa, the missile frigate that toppled over during undocking in December last year, was undocked after a refit, Navy officials said on Thursday.

Navy officials said that the ship was planned for undocking on June 22. However, during flooding of the dry dock, a list of up to 7-8 degrees was observed which was corrected.

Still, the ship could not be undocked due to a leakage in the dock-gate of the dry dock and subsequent unfavourable tide.

The undocking was finally undertaken on June 27 when the tide was suitable.

"The ship has been undocked smoothly," a Navy official said.

The vessel was undergoing a refit at the dry dock in the naval dockyards in Mumbai. It slipped during undocking on December 6, killing two and injuring 14 naval personnel.

The Indian Navy on January 16 signed a contract with Resolve Marine to salvage the 3,800-tonne Brahmaputra-class frigate.

The cost of getting the boat upright was around Rs 20 crore.

A dry dock is a narrow basin or vessel that can be flooded to allow a load to be floated in, then drained to allow that load to come to rest on a dry platform.

Dry docks are used for the construction, maintenance and repair of ships, boats and other watercraft.

Undocking of a ship is the process of putting a ship back in water to float. The frigate slipped from her dock blocks and tilted. Officials initially said it appeared that the dock block mechanism had failed.

INS Betwa -- inducted in the Navy in July 2004 -- was part of Task Force 54, tasked to evacuate nationals of India as well as those from Sri Lanka, Nepal and Lebanon married to Indian nationals from the conflict zone during the 2006 Lebanon war, as part of Operation Sukoon.

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...year-undocked-after-refit-117062901023_1.html

scatterStorm

Country flag
Yes I am, and anyways, the radars onboard itself is classified. So, no info of tracking range either. But anyways, it could easily be more than 1000km
Seems to me that it's a maritime, long range Solid State X band Phased array BMT radar system, with possibly tracking range of between 1500-2000km or even more. Working Frequency for such long range are often UHF.

A newer more modern solution would be:

A similar radar technology existed back in 1986 used by AN/FPS 49 but was a ground based BMTR.

A similar yet more modern solution for long range BMT is Solid State X Band Phase Array Radar is this one:

Last edited:

WolfPack86

Country flag
Russia Won’t Sell Unfinished Project 11356 Frigates to India

According to the Russian Navy’s deputy commander for armaments Vice Admiral Viktor Bursuk, the Russian Navy does not consider any form of sale of the unfinished frigates to India.

The second trio of Project 11356 frigates, Admiral Istomin, Admiral Butakov and Admiral Kornilov, will be completed for the Russian Navy. The decision to complete the second series of Project 11356 frigates for the Russian Navy was made after NPO Saturn declared a noticeable progress in designing of domestic gas turbine powerplants for those ships.

Earlier on, Alexey Rakhmanov, president of the United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) had said that construction of Project 11356 ships would continue. However, he did not specify whether it would be a new series or USC would complete frigates Admiral Istomin, Admiral Butakov and Admiral Kornilov.

Now, it looks like two of the four Project 11356 frigates being offered to India will be newly constructed ones, meaning we won't be getting them anytime soon.
— with Rahul Rahul.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TejasMrca/photos/?ref=page_internal

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति

aditya g

Country flag

rohit b3

Country flag
Russian firms be like "Sorry, we have run out of money for kickbacks. No kickbacks/bribes for you, Indian Navy.

SanjeevM

Country flag
It could be the timing of this mess between India and China. Russia may have to choose the side. So they think they will remain neutral by denying India materials. If that's the intention, which will be clear in near future, they lost their customer.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Ka-226 was never meant for navy contract anyways. It was for IA requirements

Having said that MoD needs to get requirements from all services
If it was not meant for it then the article is factually incorrect. how can navy be not satisfied with it when they have not ordered it.
Then its the fault of Navy that they did not wake up earlier.

MoD are lazy people doing nothing. People here in DFI discuss about defense more that the entire MoD.
But if my memory servers we well it was planned for all the services as a replacement of cheetah and Navy does use them.

Though I will like to know on what factors was it disappointing to Navy.

Will it not be great to have commonality in forces?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles