Refitted HMS Ark Royal for Indian Navy

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
ok that makes some justification.. what about having the amphibious assault ship??
Man you know what, Admiral Gorshkov was in service with Soviet Union as an AAS only. I have no objection in acquiring any assault vessel but instead it should make some sense. My questions were only against the idea of induction for more AC`s AS BY 2020 we will be having 5 AC and you know what, its never ever easy to manage a AC and also each AC requires a protection group of other frigates,destroyers and cruisers.
Yes currently India must have a substantial number of amphibious assault ship to maintain its supremacy over the vast Indian Ocean and that too after when IN is made responsible for the entire offshore operations which will surely stress the need for more AAS and MARCOS marine commandos.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
India plans to have 3 ACs . AC1 beeing built at kochi shipyard (40,000T ) , INS VIKRAMADITYA, AC2 will be built after AC1 at kochi shipyard (60,000 -65,000T)
I know that better dude. And by 2020 just count the total number of AC`s under service with IN. INS Viraat, INS Vikramaditya,INS Vikrant, INS Vishal and after the completion of two indigenous AC`s, Kochin shipyard will construct 2 more nuclear powered AC. Now understood why I was not in favor of purchasing 2nd hand carriers.

vinay535

Indias lone serving AC INS VIRAAT was supposed to be decommisioned along time ago but Indian navy didnt wanted to be seen without an AC. There were major refits carried out on it so that it could be used till INS VIKRAMADITYA joined INDIAN NAVY. After that it will be tata byebye for VIRAAT.
i havent heard of 2 nuclear powered ACs . maybe someone can shed more light on it

gogbot

Why do people want to buy more carriers from outside.

We should focus those resources on our on IAC projects.
IN is doing a good job indigenising its fleet. Don't go backwards.

We have no pressing need for more aircraft carriers.
2 are on the way , with one in the works.

What we need are LPD's and Submarines which can be procured offshore to meet our urgent requirements.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
HMS Ark Royal is better than Adm.Gorshkov on abilities... It is getting retired than planned only because of the defense budget cuts, not actually for the maintenance costs...
Ark Royal was designed as an ASW helo carrier. Adding the ski jump was an afterthought. It cannot carry conventional aircraft. Comparing what a GR9 can do to a MiG-29K is like comparing Jack to the Bean Stock Giant. They aren't even in the same class carrier wise. It is getting retired because it has to undergo refit twice as often as a new ship, which translates to twice the maintenance costs. If it wasn't so expensive they wouldn't have made the politically tough decision to get rid of their carrier capabilities for the next ten years.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Indias lone serving AC INS VIRAAT was supposed to be decommisioned along time ago but Indian navy didnt wanted to be seen without an AC. There were major refits carried out on it so that it could be used till INS VIKRAMADITYA joined INDIAN NAVY. After that it will be tata byebye for VIRAAT.
i havent heard of 2 nuclear powered ACs . maybe someone can shed more light on it
Mark my words that INS Viraat would`n`t leave the service until 2017-19. Viraat was expected to be replaced by 2011–2012 by a new Vikrant class carrier that the Vikramaditya now represents. Since the Viraat has had its engine and hull refurbished and its electronics upgraded, it can serve until 2019. That would mean sixty years in service for the carrier.
About the nuclear powered AC, I have just read it somewhere I remember but could`n`t memorize where.
Will post details as soon as I get my eyes on it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles