Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

ppgj

Guys i have seen one of the tank from DRDO (tank Ex) in digital cama. i will try to post the pic.
please.

sayar, your video on Arjun was good. very informative. and you look as good as Arjun in last frames. oooooooooooooooooooo

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
PPGJ it is not emotionally attach to it, it is just that it is such a good tank, which will save lives of our tank crews and it is much better then T Series tank.

i had the pic with Arjun tank, therefore i have chosen to post it on the video, i had one standing on the Arjun tnak itself.

BTW more scans are coming.

venkat

ppgj! in the video posted by FA , at 1:47 Arjun tries to climb rather too steep ramp!!! it appears the outcome seems to be clipped!! for Arjun class the ramp is too steep to climb at higher speeds!!

Last edited:

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
No rethink on Arjun tank: DRDO chief

BY : THE HINDU
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) dispelled apprehensions that there was a question mark over the capability of the indigenously manufactured Arjun tank.
Speaking at a press conference here on Saturday, DRDO chief V.K. Saraswat dismissed reports that the tank was undergoing yet another series of revaluations vis-À-vis the Russian T-90 main battle tanks.
Dr. Saraswat said that half of the 124 tanks ordered by the Army had already rolled out, and there was no rethink about their induction. The comparative evaluation referred to in media reports was nothing but a trial of the tank’s role in the overall arsenal of the Army. “It is a normal process of identifying the role the tank will play in the plans,” he said.
“Let me make it clear, that these are not evaluation trials of the Arjun tank, as those trials, including in summer and winter months, are over and more than 50 per cent of the tanks have now rolled out of the factory for induction.”

http://idrw.org/?p=600

pavanvenkatesh

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20090810.aspx

Any chance we will get one of these(or similar) on Arjun?
I don't think so at least not in the near future the tank now already weighs 58 tons and this took a lot of convincing for the army to buy them and they are still don't perticularly like the tank even after all the trials and tests it passed so adding one more ton to it now will be a hugh problem maybe they will buy this system seperatly for there T-90s and T-72s but not Arjuns

black eagle

Country flag
DRDO Chief clarifies Arjun MBT status in the Army

February 21, 2010, (Sawf News) - DRDO chief, VK Sarsawat, recently clarified that the Arjun is not being re-evaluated once again by the Army.

Speaking at a press conference on Saturday, he said the comparative evaluation referred to in media reports was nothing but a trial of the tank's role in the overall arsenal of the Army. "It is a normal process of identifying the role the tank will play in the plans," he said.

"Let me make it clear, that these are not evaluation trials of the Arjun tank, as those trials, including in summer and winter months, are over and more than 50 per cent of the tanks have now rolled out of the factory for induction."

Here is my translation: of why the Army is conducting the trials.

The Army is evaluating how it can put the Arjuns to good use.

I think the biggest problem with the Arjun is its 60 ton weight. Indian amour can be most effectively used in the desert. Unfortunately a 60 ton tank can easily getting bogged down lumbering across sand dunes.

A typical border road leading to the Tibetan plateau. Photo Credit: Vijainder K Thakur

The use of Arjun on the Tibetan plateau is completely ruled out because our road infrastructure leading up to the plateau does not support the carting of such a heavy tank.

The Army's approach with the Arjun is exactly the approach that the Air Force needs to adopt with the LCA Tejas squadrons, when it gets them.

The use of the Arjun and LCA Tejas in service will give DRDO / HAL valuable product support experience as well as inputs for their follow-up projects.

Do remember, however, that HAL frittered away the lessons and experience from the Marut HF-24 project. Considering that DRDO made the Vijayanta tank using Vickers MBT drawings it did not give a very good account of itself with the Arjun. Hopefully the times have changed.

It is interesting how some journalists working with leading publications have been presenting a distorted picture, not pausing to think for a moment before sullying the image of the services.

http://kuku.sawf.org/Articles/62789.aspx

flaming arrow

Guys check out this video,our armoured boys

Last edited by a moderator:

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Nice video Flaming Arrow.
They seem to be in love with aviators and champagne.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
From the Amoured corps of India with love

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
This is good news, but I would like to wait for some confirmation coming from higher source so this takes the number to 250 approx:

New Delhi, Feb 27 (PTI) The Army is likely to soon place a repeat order for 124 indigenous 'Arjun' Main Battle Tanks from DRDO as troops have expressed satisfaction over the armoured vehicle's performance in desert terrain in Rajasthan.

"A repeat order of another 124 Arjuns is expected from the Army soon, as it is satisfied with the tanks' performance,"
a senior DRDO official said here today.

The new order would be a follow-on to the 124 Arjuns ordered by the Army in 2004, of which the Avadi-based Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF) has already supplied 45 to comprise an armoured regiment.

The regiment has now taken out the tanks to the desert in Rajasthan for conversion trials and reports from the troops reaching the Army headquarters say the combat vehicles were doing extremely well, the official said.

"The repeat order is necessary to keep the production lines in Avadi running.

Agantrope

This is good news, but I would like to wait for some confirmation coming from higher source so this takes the number to 250 approx:

New Delhi, Feb 27 (PTI) The Army is likely to soon place a repeat order for 124 indigenous 'Arjun' Main Battle Tanks from DRDO as troops have expressed satisfaction over the armoured vehicle's performance in desert terrain in Rajasthan.

"A repeat order of another 124 Arjuns is expected from the Army soon, as it is satisfied with the tanks' performance,"
a senior DRDO official said here today.

The new order would be a follow-on to the 124 Arjuns ordered by the Army in 2004, of which the Avadi-based Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF) has already supplied 45 to comprise an armoured regiment.

The regiment has now taken out the tanks to the desert in Rajasthan for conversion trials and reports from the troops reaching the Army headquarters say the combat vehicles were doing extremely well, the official said.

"The repeat order is necessary to keep the production lines in Avadi running.
Nithin source pls :)

Edited: I found the source on myself

http://www.ptinews.com/news/540373_124-more-Arjun-tanks-to-be-ordered-for-Army

Last edited:

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=12461

Different battle arenas for twin tanks
Arjun and Bhishma to coexist
Ajay Banerjee
Tribune News Service

New Delhi, February 27
Unlike the epic Mahabharata, the Indian Army’s lead tanks named after legendary warriors ‘Arjun’ and ‘Bhishma’ will coexist and will be deployed in different battle arenas in the future. At present, a “deployment” trials are being conducted in the deserts of Rajasthan, where 14 of the home-grown Arjun tanks face the Russian origin T-90 - christened Bhishma - by the Indian Army.

The Indian Army is likely to order more Arjun tanks rather than depend entirely on the Russian tanks, sources said. The chief of the Defence Research and Development Organisation, Dr VK Saraswat, says: “We are expecting a repeat order of the Arjun tanks in the near future”.

Separately, sources said two more regiments - some 124 tanks - of the Arjun series are likely to be inducted. An announcement is likely after the “deployment” trials are over. Saraswat clarified the comparative evaluation referred to in media reports was nothing but a trial of the tank’s role. “It is a process to identify the role the tank will play and will not be comparative between the two tanks,” he added.

The Indian Army had ordered two regiments of the Arjun but had then showed reluctance to accept more. The trials will show the true picture. Commanders of the Indian Army, who in the past have been critical of the Arjun, have slowly come around and now say that the two tanks are of different classes and cannot be compared with each other.

The Arjun at 58.5-tonne is much heavier than the 46.5 tonne T-90. But with more powerful engines the Arjun moves faster than the T-90. It is ideal for deployment in the arid Rajasthan-Gujarat sector facing Pakistan.

The Arjun has better and latest systems on board. It has better transmission system than the T-90, accurate firepower while on the move. The Arjun has better thermal imaging capability, enabling it night vision.

The night vision capability of T-90 is of lower category. It malfunctions in the heat of Rajasthan, says an in-house input of the Indian Army. The Army plans to have 1,650 T-90s in the next few years. The production has been localised and the first tanks built in India rolled out a few months ago.

/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles