Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Damian

Hi Guys its the same concept of nano-tubes of energy absorption by the Armour leading to contraction and expansion of the Armour.this all has been posted just read it ......... kanchan Armour does the same.......

http://drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/techfocu...FApril2011.pdf

please read ........... Kanchan will keep on undergoing changes as well its a tech India owns and will be updated
Carbon Nano Tubes are different than Kanchan armor that use more classic materials.

CNT's are still not ready for being used as armor materials because problems with easy, cheap and mass production in form of armor plates, were not solved yet.

Kanchan is just a composite armor, all composite armors works by energy absorption, projectile yaw, erosion, bending, breaking and other projectile defeating mechanisms. But it does not make them comparable in performance to CNT's, that are far more capable while being lighter and less bulky.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
just because IA does not use top of line tank ammo, it does not mean we can't test our system against them.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its a very good source on NANO technology as well as Gr8 Info on Kanchan evolution..

Wasn't aware, Titanium composites are also use for Kanchan..

And use of Boron carbide in Composite Armour..

----------------
----------------

They are also working with CNT, From above article where it mentioned that NANO technology may also be used for Protection of Solider and Vehicle, It wont be surprising if they are already working on it, Soon or latter they will have CNT for Protection purpose for vehicles..

Carbon Nano Tubes are different than Kanchan armor that use more classic materials.

CNT's are still not ready for being used as armor materials because problems with easy, cheap and mass production in form of armor plates, were not solved yet.

Kanchan is just a composite armor, all composite armors works by energy absorption, projectile yaw, erosion, bending, breaking and other projectile defeating mechanisms. But it does not make them comparable in performance to CNT's, that are far more capable while being lighter and less bulky.

rahulrds1

Old news(2008) about Kanchan armour.

www_hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/000200810221783.htm

" DRDO has come up with the 'Kanchan' explosive reactive armoured plates for tanks."

Damian

just because IA does not use top of line tank ammo, it does not mean we can't test our system against them.
You don't have a gun that can fire 120mm ammo for smoothbore guns, like DM53 avaiable on market. While M829 series are not exported by USA.

They are also working with CNT, From above article where it mentioned that NANO technology may also be used for Protection of Solider and Vehicle, It wont be surprising if they are already working on it, Soon or latter they will have CNT for Protection purpose for vehicles..
I never said that they won't come up with this idea. It is preaty obvious for most highly developed nations that CNT's are the only way forward.

Old news(2008) about Kanchan armour.

www_hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/000200810221783.htm

" DRDO has come up with the 'Kanchan' explosive reactive armoured plates for tanks."
That is interesting, UK/US Burlington armor was also reported that in 1970's-1980's period there was developed a variant of it with integral explosive reactive armor.

navkapu

Country flag
The Research on CNT is for Armour and Stealth coating for Fighters and its been going on for many many years. LCA uses it .....

Its a very good source on NANO technology as well as Gr8 Info on Kanchan evolution..

Wasn't aware, Titanium composites are also use for Kanchan..

And use of Boron carbide in Composite Armour..

----------------
----------------

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Simple citizen, writing on internet forum should be the last person to know such informations.
carbon nano tube based armour is in the lab.
Now my mundane concern is what is the best armoured tank availble to india?
because if war brakes out between pakistan and india within the next two years, will the makers of T-90 sudenly change the armour of existing indian army T-90s with carbon nano tube based armour?
If yes I will vote for scrapping arjun project and buy as many T-90s from russians.

But since the answer is no, it is back to square one.

Damian

carbon nano tube based armour is in the lab.
Now my mundane concern is what is the best armoured tank availble to india?
because if war brakes out between pakistan and india within the next two years, will the makers of T-90 sudenly change the armour of existing indian army T-90s with carbon nano tube based armour?
If yes I will vote for scrapping arjun project and buy as many T-90s from russians.

But since the answer is no, it is back to square one.
Composite armor based on CNT's is still in a very early phase ofresearch, do not expect it will be ready tommorow.

However composite armors in all modern tanks, are at least semi modular, and can be quickly replaced or repaired, there is no problem with that.

p2prada

Titanium has very good heat dissipation capability.

Apart from that Boron Carbide is a very old composite. My friend made some and I had these composites at home for quite sometime. I think every Tom, Dick and Harry with an aeronautics degree knows about it.

Very good at breaking walnuts and stuff. :p

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Lets not turn this thread into pissing contest..
I accept it kunal there is no use in making MY DADDY STRONGEST claims without any basis.

ALL I wanted to say is that the suspension ,engine ,tracks,and transmission of ARJUN is engineered in a way that it can support heavy 60 ton weight.

So in future if a very light weight armor like Composite armor based on CNT , posted by DAMIAN arrives, and if it is implemented on arjun it will only get better, with even lesser weight.

It's gradient climbing performance, top speeds will only increase with lighter advanced Composite armor based on CNT , because higher horse power engine will deliver more power for the above purpose freed from supporting the weight of older heavy armor,

It's power to weight ratio will also improve,
It's total weight will decrease,
It's pressure per square foot will also decrease much further resulting in the tank being deployed in more areas,

SO it will only add to the performance of arjun in further upgrades.
And the bigger size and bigger internal volume and bigger APU will be only beneficial in the long run, considering it will have space to carry more rounds in safe way,

And if future self defense systems require some space ,weight support ,and power from APU it is available.

If arjun is designed as a small compact tank all these advantages won't be there.

Last edited:

Damian

I accept it kunal there is no use in making MY DADDY STRONGEST claims without any basis.

ALL I wanted to say is that the suspension ,engine ,tracks,and transmission of ARJUN is engineered in a way that it can support heavy 60 ton weight.

So in future if a very light weight armor like Composite armor based on CNT , posted by DAMIAN arrives, and if it is implemented on arjun it will only get better, with even lesser weight.

It's gradient climbing performance, top speeds will only increase with lighter advanced Composite armor based on CNT , because higher horse power engine will deliver more power for the above purpose freed from supporting the weight of older heavy armor,

It's power to weight ratio will also improve,
It's total weight will decrease,
It's pressure per square foot will also decrease much further resulting in the tank being deployed in more areas,

SO it will only add to the performance of arjun in further upgrades.
And the bigger size and bigger internal volume and bigger APU will be only beneficial in the long run, considering it will have space to carry more rounds in safe way,

And if future self defense systems require some space ,weight support ,and power from APU it is available.

If arjun is designed as a small compact tank all these advantages won't be there.
This is something with I can agree, but only if new materials will arrive, and we don't know when technology will be mature enough, by that time Arjun might a obsolete design withdrawn from service for a long time.

navkapu

Country flag
Early phase of research BHU develops metal for revolutionising defence technology | India - Oneindia News (Published: Saturday, May 26, 2007, 9:34 [IST])it was ready in 2007 its just large scale commercial production that i don't know about it, this was ready in 2007 ......

it was out lab half a decade back .......

I mean we don't really know if its being used in the Kanchan only ......... it may be we wont know ..

Composite armor based on CNT's is still in a very early phase ofresearch, do not expect it will be ready tommorow.

However composite armors in all modern tanks, are at least semi modular, and can be quickly replaced or repaired, there is no problem with that.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
This is something with I can agree, but only if new materials will arrive, and we don't know when technology will be mature enough, by that time Arjun might a obsolete design withdrawn from service for a long time.
Again, don't write about arjun's obsoleteness without even having basic information

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

How can an 8 feet high tank be "fully submerged" in 6 feet deep water?

Everything says defies physics or other natural laws.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@ersakthivel, What Damian meant by absoluteness is in next 50 years in time..

Again, don't write about arjun's obsoleteness without even having basic information about it's armour,engine,and it's firing accuracy.
@Damian, There were talks about hybrid Armour in 2008-9 which was ready by that time, I am not sure what are composition of Indian Hybrid Armour, But i can assume Nano technology have part in it..

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

Everything he says defies physics or other natural laws.
Do you know what is the meaning of the word deep water snorkelling ability ,when it comes to MBts. Go google and find yourself.?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
What is clear is that the MoD is happy with the Arjun. According to the Parliamentary Standing Committee for Defence's last annual report for 2007-08, the MoD testified before the Committee that the Arjun tank was:

"¢ "A product unique in its class", and "an improved system
"¢ "Rs 6-8 crores cheaper than its contemporary system in the West".
"¢ "Far superior in firing accuracy,
"¢ "Driven for over 60,000 kms and fired more than 8,000 rounds. There was no problem."

pmaitra

Everything he says defies physics or other natural laws.
It could be possible.

Let's say there is a tank of water, large enough to hold a 8 foot tank, but has 6 foot deep water. If the tank is placed in the tank, the water displaced by the volume of the tank, will raise the water level inside the tank, and yes, the tank could be fully submerged.

P.S.: Think of buoyancy, and how it is computed. ;)

tank - battle tank; tracked vehicle with a gun.
tank - water tank; a large pool of water.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
It could be possible.

Let's say there is a tanks of water, large enough to hold a 8 foot tank, but has 6 foot deep water. If the tanks is placed in the tank, the water displaced by the volume of the tank, will raise the water level, and yes, the tank could be fully submerged.

P.S.: Think of buoyancy, and how it is computed. ;)
IIRC he's talking about tanks crossing a a large water body where the volume displaced will have a negligible change in the overall water level

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles