Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
The video shows interior of M1A2SEP. Americans use ammunition cases made from combustible cellulose material. What falls from the gun after shot is only a stub case with primer. In case of Indian rounds, IMHO it is also combistible cellulose case, it is just looking like a metal due to paint job. There is no sense to use metal cases, because they take up space inside a vehicle Kunal.

:namaste:

Compare them.

from the looks of it, it appears that Indian steel case base does take very little space compare to US rounds :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

from the looks of it, it appears that Indian steel case base does take very little space compare to US rounds
No, You just don't understand what You see. First there is no steel case on both photos, just metal stub case. Second is that in case of Indian round, there is not visible primmer, third is that American crew used training round with short penetrator and long primer, combat rounds with long penetrators have very short primmer.

Look the primer lenght depends on penetrator lenght. So the combat ammunition stub case with short primmer will take less space.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
No, You just don't understand what You see. First there is no steel case on both photos, just metal stub case. Second is that in case of Indian round, there is not visible primmer, third is that American crew used training round with short penetrator and long primer, combat rounds with long penetrators have very short primmer.

Look the primer lenght depends on penetrator lenght. So the combat ammunition stub case with short primmer will take less space.
Please explain in plain english, i though you said that

The video shows interior of M1A2SEP. Americans use ammunition cases made from combustible cellulose material. What falls from the gun after shot is only a stub case with primer
this stub case is metal that is what i am saying. That is all. Same is case with Arjun ammo. :confused::confused::confused:

Damian

Stub case is that par with primer, the rest is case, or projectile case or steel case base as described on some drawings. This is what I'am talking about.

Nobody today use a fully metal uncombustible steel projectile case, because it would take too much space after firing several rounds.

So projectile case is combustible, and the only thing left is steel case base with primer, not it is clear?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

--------------------------------------------------------

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
how many arjun so far Indian army has received and how many on order(only confirmed)?
Last time i checked 250 arjun mk1 were on order
and 120(or 118) mk2 were on order

correct me if i Am wrong

p2prada

how many arjun so far Indian army has received and how many on order(only confirmed)?
Last time i checked 250 arjun mk1 were on order
and 120(or 118) mk2 were on order

correct me if i Am wrong
124 Mk1s and 124 Mk2s are on order. That's 3 regiments for each.

DRDO's chief (or was it CVRDE) made an announcement that IA will order 250(248 I suppose) Mk2s "soon." So, the orders will probably depend on the trials going on now.

I don't think there are any credible reports of 124 additional Mk1s on order. So, the production line may be idle for 3 years until Mk2 production starts.

All these figures are over the top of my head.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
124 Mk1s and 124 Mk2s are on order. That's 3 regiments for each.

DRDO's chief (or was it CVRDE) made an announcement that IA will order 250(248 I suppose) Mk2s "soon." So, the orders will probably depend on the trials going on now.

I don't think there are any credible reports of 124 additional Mk1s on order. So, the production line may be idle for 3 years until Mk2 production starts.

All these figures are over the top of my head.
well i think even with follow on order.
Indian will have odd 500 arjun till tho fmbt is in mass production

p2prada

DRDO has a lot of influence within the ministry. They want to make it a successful project. So, a total of 500 tanks will be expected.

If you consider the time it will take for it to be inducted and the speed of our economic growth, we will be able to afford this. It may or may not be useful to the Army, but it still forces PA to work on two different tactics to counter two significantly different tank designs apart from helping our own industry achieve self reliance.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
New Panoramic Sight..

During 2011 tests..
------------------------------------
------------------------------------

Some Correction to earlier poster..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Re: New Panoramic Sight..

-------------------------
-------------------------

Off-topic:
Recently its been used for Upgrade program for TAM in Argentina & Will be implemented on T-90S as per Upgrade..

---------------

pack leader

Professional

Off-topic:
Recently its been used for Upgrade program for TAM in Argentina & Will be implemented on T-90S as per Upgrade..

---------------
---------------

some extra information on coaps system
first version was built for a large Azerbaijani order to upgrade t-72
it was installed in Argentina as well
the Indians got the second version that includes a soft kill laser beam disruptor (development ended in 2010 )
enabling upgraded afv to destroy second generation laser guided atgm ( kornet matis and Chinese copy's )

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

some extra information on coaps system
first version was built for a large Azerbaijani order to upgrade t-72
it was installed in Argentina as well
the Indians got the second version that includes a soft kill laser beam disruptor (development ended in 2010 )
enabling upgraded afv to destroy second generation laser guided atgm ( kornet matis and Chinese copy's )
Pack

The Fox

i just saw the end of the program on Arjun MBT in Discovery channel do any one have the full video

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
i just saw the end of the program on Arjun MBT in Discovery channel do any one have the full video
you should have posted this info here, so that someone would have recorded it. Hope someone in BR had done that.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles