Indian Army Artillery

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Does radio proximity fuse counted as mechanical or electronic ?
It can be both types. Electronic fuse is radio wave transmitting and receiving fuse. and it bursts the moment it gets requisite amount of strength of the radio
frequency. There are VT fuse, an acronym of "Variable Time fuze",which are radar fuses. Then there are mechanical time fuses.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Can some one who has the qualification in the field of science explain if a VT or proximity fuse is an electronic devise?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Its said that laser guided shells will hit 1mtr circle radius of the target and GPS guided one will fall in 10mtr radius of intented target.pls give a detail about using laser aid to hit mortar shells or else give a link so that I could get a basic idea as my knowledge about artillery is far less than basic.
Laser is a narrow wave called a beam. Laser guided ammunition finally rides on the beam and hits a target where the beam is pointing out.

GPS guided munition is a satellite guided munition which goes to a given grid reference as accurate as 10 meters it may be further accurate depending on satellite positions and triangulation. It transmits its position and receives corrections in the course by satellites where it is supposed to go.

Twinblade

Country flag
It is an electronic device all right.

But it is not available for 120 or 81 mm Mortars... whwere from the big discussion started...
Bhadra, for someone your age who claims to know a lot you spread a considerable amount of disinformation. The electronic fuzes are not manufactured by OFB, but rather by ECIL.

http://www.ecil.co.in/defence.php
Electronic Fuzes for Artillery and Navy:
The Electronic fuzes, manufactured by ECIL have stood the test of time for defect-free performance, quality and reliability. ECIL has built-up adequate capacity to meet country's needs. Today, ECIL designs and supplies a wide variety of fuzes for Artillery and Naval Guns of different calibers like:
Proximity Fuzes
Variable Time Fuzes
Point Detonation Fuzes

The latest addition to this range is Universal Electronic fuzes which can be set in proximity, time & point detonation modes by Inductive Fuze setters for a wide range of Guns & Mortars of the armed forces.
ECIL already has the capability to produce electronic fuzes, but the mortar modernization has not begun yet. Quoting from an Ernst and Young report on Indian defence market from January 2012:-
The focus is now shifting toward electronic fuzes, in view of enhanced performance and logistics re-quirements. Over a period of time the electronic fuzes will replace the mechanical fuze being used now. As on date these are being used only for 155 mm guns and that too is limited to less than 10% of the authorized scale. The usage is now being extended to 130mm and 105 mm guns. There is an existing de ficiency of electronic fuzes worth more than 1 million. Electronic time and proximity fuzes cost more than Point Detonation fuzes. Taking an average price of INR15,000 per electronic fuze, the existing market is capped at around INR1,500 million. The requirement is bound to increase in the future when the conversion for mortars also takes place. Due to limited source of supply currently, the time line to meet the immediate requirement of 1 million fuzes is anticipated to be five to six years. At this stage it will be dif ficult to predict the time line for switch over to the electronic mode. The switch over will also entail reduction in inventory. However, it is expected that the rate of acquisition will gradually increase by approximately 15%–20% each year.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its said that laser guided shells will hit 1mtr circle radius of the target and GPS guided one will fall in 10mtr radius of intented target.pls give a detail about using laser aid to hit mortar shells or else give a link so that I could get a basic idea as my knowledge about artillery is far less than basic.
That depend on what range you are firing from, GPS 155mm may have 10m hit radius, But for a 7km Motar shell its lesser..

Russian GRAN 120mm Guided Mortar Bomb

The guided bomb utilizes laser illumination to home in on the target. The system uses a mobile or dismounted (carried by a crew of two) and operated fire control system, that also supports target illumination, location and orientation of the firing position.The projectile weighs 27kg, of which 11.2kg is the High Explosive Fragmentation warhead, containing 5.3 kg of HE. and has a warhead
KBP. Artillery Guided Weapon Systems

-------------------------------------------------------

US XM395 Precision Guided Mortar Munition

The guidance system shares the same Distributed Aperture Semi-Active Laser Seeker (DASALS) technology as the BAE Systems APKWS II rocket system
XM395 Precision Guided Mortar Munition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Bhadra, for someone your age who claims to know a lot you spread a considerable amount of disinformation. The electronic fuzes are not manufactured by OFB, but rather by ECIL.

Welcome to Electronics Corporation of India Limited

ECIL already has the capability to produce electronic fuzes, but the mortar modernization has not begun yet. Quoting from an Ernst and Young report on Indian defence market from January 2012:-
I have quaoted the OFB website on shells and fuses.
I am repeatedly requesting you to tell me which bomb of IA artillery has electronic fuse?
You are not able to tell me and you are giving me just theory.
ECIL works around for big systems and not artillary fuses, if it does give me a proof. Only DRDO seem to be firing those fuses then.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Twinblade

and I quote you:

]"As on date these are being used only for 155 mm guns and that too is limited to less than 10% of the authorized scale"

I understand the diffrence between 155 mm and poor 81 and 120 mm. The discusssion was about 81 and 120 mm. OK.

The focus is now shifting toward electronic fuzes, in view of enhanced performance and logistics re-quirements. Over a period of time the electronic fuzes will replace the mechanical fuze being used now. As on date these are being used only for 155 mm guns and that too is limited to less than 10% of the authorized scale. The usage is now being extended to 130mm and 105 mm guns. There is an existing de ficiency of electronic fuzes worth more than 1 million. Electronic time and proximity fuzes cost more than Point Detonation fuzes. Taking an average price of INR15,000 per electronic fuze, the existing market is capped at around INR1,500 million. The requirement is bound to increase in the future when the conversion for mortars also takes place. Due to limited source of supply currently, the time line to meet the immediate requirement of 1 million fuzes is anticipated to be five to six years. At this stage it will be dif ficult to predict the time line for switch over to the electronic mode. The switch over will also entail reduction in inventory. However, it is expected that the rate of acquisition will gradually increase by approximately 15%–20% each year.
this is the state of our sixtyfour years of independence that India has given its Infantry not even a single electronic fuse because DRDO fuses are mot below INR 15,000. So what is harm in import.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
But the fact remains that 81 and 120 mm Mortars have no electronic fuses and DRDO need to provide that as soon as possible....
Fact is you are ignoring the fact on first place..

---------------------------------------------------------------

Follow the posts down below..

there no proximity fuses for 120 or 81 mm.
Sir,
There are new kind of fuses which proximate fuse act similar as AD gun fuse, Burst just 5m above the ground..
120mm had proximity fuses and of this I know.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It is an electronic fuse imported ex USSR / Russsia (now not sure) in a very limited quantity for 130mm medium guns.
If you dont know, there were PF shells for 5.5inch guns back in 60s..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Stop trolling..
stop using this insulting word time and again .....
I may say the same thing for you...
A few post back you were claiming that you had those in your hand..

and you saw 120 mm Mors in 14 GTC....

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
stop using this insulting word time and again ..... I may say the same thing for you...A few post back you were claiming that you had those in your hand..and you saw 120 mm Mors in 14 GTC....
Bhadra Ji,

That is the truth you dont like to see or hear, And yes i know field drills of 120mm/81mm Motar and even have close look at things like PF fuse which is not rare now, that is what you dont know now..

The fact is i and Ray Sir told you PF fuse exist for Mortars but you are ignoring and asking same questions, TB provided you the link of PF fuse manufacturer with Underline about ' mortar rounds ' but you are ignoring asking same question, You like to win argument not intellectual debate, Sir you are trolling..

And i sense you are about to go personal on me, I hope i am wrong..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
But the fact remains that 81 and 120 mm Mortars have no electronic fuses and DRDO need to provide that as soon as possible....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Fact is you are ignoring the fact on first place..

---------------------------------------------------------------

Follow the posts down below..

there no proximity fuses for 120 or 81 mm.
Sir,
There are new kind of fuses which proximate fuse act similar as AD gun fuse, Burst just 5m above the ground..
120mm had proximity fuses and of this I know.

--------------------------------------------------------------

AFAIK PF are electronic fuse..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Zabardasty mat karo yar... PF used to be only in 130 mm and now DRDO is manufacturing some for 155 mm...

Have some bloody mercy...

Last edited by a moderator:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
That depend on what range you are firing from, GPS 155mm may have 10m hit radius, But for a 7km Motar shell its lesser..

Russian GRAN 120mm Guided Mortar Bomb

KBP. Artillery Guided Weapon Systems

-------------------------------------------------------

US XM395 Precision Guided Mortar Munition

XM395 Precision Guided Mortar Munition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanx for clearing ma doubt on laser guided artilery strike.one last question ie is it right that if we had to laser guide a target the units with the laser designator should be pretty close to the target ?is thaere any way to laser designate a target by not going any near to it?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles