Indian Army Artillery

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
As LoC heats up, army contracts for two rocket regiments from L&T, Tata Power

On Wednesday, the MoD signed separate Rs 226 crore contracts with Larsen & Toubro (L&T) and Tata Power (Strategic Engineering Division), the designated “original equipment manufacturers” (OEMs) for the Pinaka.This is the first project where private Indian companies are designated OEMs, a role traditionally reserved for “defence public sector undertakings” and the MoD-owned Ordnance Factory Board (OFB). While L&T and Tata Power (SED) have just 14 per cent of the work share, it includes developing and building the heart of the Pinaka --- the command post and launcher --- and the coveted OEM role.
With the army looking to eventually induct 22 regiments of Pinaka in place of the obsolescent Russian GRAD BM-21, there could be 12 Pinaka Mark II regiments procured, in addition to ten Mark I regiments.
Beyond that, say L&T and Tata Power officials, the affordable Pinaka system offers great scope for export. Says Rahul Chaudhary, who heads Tata Power (SED): “Pinaka is a fully indigenous weapon with 100 per cent of its intellectual property belonging to India. That means we can export the system to any country that the government of India wants. In today’s export market, the Pinaka is one of the most competitive options.”
the private sector could be involved in fabricating Pinaka rockets at the faster rate needed. Last month, as reported by Business Standard, the army initiated the induction of private defence companies in fabricating ammunition. In the list of ammunition that private firms were invited to build were rockets for GRAD BM-51 MBRLs. With the Pinaka replacing that legacy system, its rockets could eventually feature on the private sector menu
Source : http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2016/12/as-loc-heats-up-army-contracts-for-two.html

India22

As LoC heats up, army contracts for two rocket regiments from L&T, Tata Power

Source : http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2016/12/as-loc-heats-up-army-contracts-for-two.html
Do you think Rocket Artillery is superior to conventional artillery? I think so because first few rounds of artillery do the most damage. After 15-20 seconds enemy becomes aware and takes cover. But conventional artillery can only fire 2-3 rounds in 15-20 seconds but within same time rocket artillery can fire a volley.

Btw BM-21 Grad now uses advanced rockets with increased range, does Indian army use same?

I think we have to make a 155mm Rocket artillery.

aditya g

Country flag
Do you think Rocket Artillery is superior to conventional artillery? I think so because first few rounds of artillery do the most damage. After 15-20 seconds enemy becomes aware and takes cover. But conventional artillery can only fire 2-3 rounds in 15-20 seconds but within same time rocket artillery can fire a volley.

Btw BM-21 Grad now uses advanced rockets with increased range, does Indian army use same?

I think we have to make a 155mm Rocket artillery.
Rocket Artillery has its place, but cannot replace tube arty.

In Indian Army Grads and Pinakas are attached to the Corps level IIRC.

India22

Rocket Artillery has its place, but cannot replace tube arty.

In Indian Army Grads and Pinakas are attached to the Corps level IIRC.
In my opinion, Rocket Artillery is better because it can neutralize a large area very quickly.

Rushil51

Country flag
In my opinion, Rocket Artillery is better because it can neutralize a large area very quickly.
Rockets are far more expensive than shells. And some times area that is supposed to be neutralised is surrounded by civil building etc. Hence both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
By Rocket Artillery soviets philosophy is to saturate the large area by cheap locally made HE rockets (mostly BM 21 and later Urgan) It's advantage is to slow down the advance of large force. The advancing troops will take time to organize. Fire a salvo of incendiary rockets and it will lit up the large area typically forest etc etc

So Rocket Artillery is absolutely necessary in Indian forces considering our war history

OTOH NATO believes in precision strikes even by Rocket Artillery. Unlike soviets their rocket artillery is not cheap nor in overwhelming numbers but precise.

Also, Rocket Artillery is inaccurate and little impact on entrenched Enemy or hardened target.

Now coming to our beloved Tubed artillery which is also absolutely necessary in our forces.

To summarise it's significance - If it wasn't for the tube Artillery we would've lost kargil war. I've with me a pic from kargil battlefield in which Grenadiers CO Khushal Thakur asking the fire support from FH 77 while the enemy is only few 100 Mts away.

The Paki counter attack was successfully repulsed thanks to the massive firepower of Bofors. No rocket artillery ( Grad and Pinaka) would be able to do that.

NqgX41480871288.jpg

The point i am making here is Rocket artillery can't match the accuracy and devastating firepower of Tubed artillery. The accuracy is further increased by Forward observers and drones etc. So if you want to hit the En hard who is sitting behind cover you need Tube Arty.

===========================================================

Excerpts from One more incident when Tube artillery saved the day for Army and saved us from impending defeat. Battered Gorkha troops, injured, low on ammunition repulsed the counter attack of Pakis due to devastating firepower of Bofors. This time the Pakis were only 50 mts away from Gorkhas.

"I radioed the Artillery Officer attached with us, located on the other mountain spur of 'Kukarthang' and asked him whether he knew where I was, and he replied in the affirmative. I then asked him to use me as a reference and give me several rounds of rapid-fire support. He was shocked! He tentatively wondered whether I really wanted him to direct our own artillery fire, approximately 100-odd rounds on my head. We are talking about the Bofors round with its devastating effect - its such a powerful gun! I had to take a chance; I preferred to die there by own gunfire, rather than get captured by the enemy. And by now, even the enemy knew that our ammunition was running low…and as the seconds ticked by, the enemy crept closer and closer 40 yards…35 yards…25 yards…and…I yelled at him and said that I didn't have the time and to just do what he was told! He did and I could hear the deadly whistling screech of the shells (usually the fore bearers of death) coming at us, from the gun position several kilometres behind us. My boys and I took shelter in the cracks of the huge boulders and the 100-odd rounds thundered and crashed all around us with a beautiful but deadly blast of shrapnel and flame. The temperatures suddenly rose due to the burning cordite and for a few seconds, we were engulfed in comfortable warmth, in otherwise the prevalent freezing cold. We could literally see the Pakistanis who were advancing in the open, being blown to smithereens right in front of us. They didn't know what had hit them. Several times they tried to close in for the kill, since we had no ammunition left, but with the help of our accurate and prompt artillery gunners we sent them reeling back with heavy casualties."

Last edited:

India22

Rockets are far more expensive than shells. And some times area that is supposed to be neutralised is surrounded by civil building etc. Hence both have their advantages and disadvantages.
MRLS is not for COIN. Main advantage is it quickly neutralizes area. A 155mm Gun cant fire more than 2/3 rounds per minute, a MLRS can fire dozens of rounds. A 155mm Howitzer can only carry at maximumabout 15kg explosives where a Pinaka can carry 100 kg warhead.

MLRS can be used in small units also. See Nebelwerfer. During Normandy Operations, they caused very high losses.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
By Rocket Artillery soviets philosophy is to saturate the large area by cheap locally made HE rockets (mostly BM 21 and later Urgan) It's advantage is to slow down the advance of large force. The advancing troops will take time to organize. Fire a salvo of incendiary rockets and it will lit up the large area typically forest etc etc

So Rocket Artillery is absolutely necessary in Indian forces considering our war history

OTOH NATO believes in precision strikes even by Rocket Artillery. Unlike soviets their rocket artillery is not cheap nor in overwhelming numbers but precise.

Also, Rocket Artillery is inaccurate and little impact on entrenched Enemy or hardened target.

Now coming to our beloved Tubed artillery which is also absolutely necessary in our forces.

To summarise it's significance - If it wasn't for the tube Artillery we would've lost kargil war. I've with me a pic from kargil battlefield in which Grenadiers CO Khushal Thakur asking the fire support from FH 77 while the enemy is only few 100 Mts away.

The Paki counter attack was successfully repulsed thanks to the massive firepower of Bofors. No rocket artillery ( Grad and Pinaka) would be able to do that.

View attachment 12113

The point i am making here is Rocket artillery can't match the accuracy and devastating firepower of Tubed artillery. The accuracy is further increased by Forward observers and drones etc. So if you want to hit the En hard who is sitting behind cover you need Tube Arty.

Excerpts from One more incident when Tube artillery saved the day for Army and saved us from impending defeat. Battered Gorkha troops, injured, low on ammunition repulsed the counter attack of Pakis due to devastating firepower of Bofors. This time the Pakis were only 50 mts away from Gorkhas.

"I radioed the Artillery Officer attached with us, located on the other mountain spur of 'Kukarthang' and asked him whether he knew where I was, and he replied in the affirmative. I then asked him to use me as a reference and give me several rounds of rapid-fire support. He was shocked! He tentatively wondered whether I really wanted him to direct our own artillery fire, approximately 100-odd rounds on my head. We are talking about the Bofors round with its devastating effect - its such a powerful gun! I had to take a chance; I preferred to die there by own gunfire, rather than get captured by the enemy. And by now, even the enemy knew that our ammunition was running low…and as the seconds ticked by, the enemy crept closer and closer 40 yards…35 yards…25 yards…and…I yelled at him and said that I didn't have the time and to just do what he was told! He did and I could hear the deadly whistling screech of the shells (usually the fore bearers of death) coming at us, from the gun position several kilometres behind us. My boys and I took shelter in the cracks of the huge boulders and the 100-odd rounds thundered and crashed all around us with a beautiful but deadly blast of shrapnel and flame. The temperatures suddenly rose due to the burning cordite and for a few seconds, we were engulfed in comfortable warmth, in otherwise the prevalent freezing cold. We could literally see the Pakistanis who were advancing in the open, being blown to smithereens right in front of us. They didn't know what had hit them. Several times they tried to close in for the kill, since we had no ammunition left, but with the help of our accurate and prompt artillery gunners we sent them reeling back with heavy casualties."
Second incident was col. Lalit rai at batalik sector, wasn't it?

tejas warrior

Country flag

View attachment 12113

Thanks for sharing.

Dhanush & ATAGS are much more accurate & longer range. We need them in numbers asap. It will give terrorist start a hard time.

sbm

Country flag
From 2012:
Ministry of Defence14-March, 2012 15:34 IST
CAG Report on Acquisition of Artillery Guns
The CAG report for the year 2011-12 (Defence Services) has made certain observations that modern technology Artillery Guns could not be made available to Artillery troops for certain reasons as explained in its Report.

As part of modernization, the Regiment of Artillery has been equipped with PINAKA Rocket Systems, Smerch Rocket Systems and BrahMos Missile Systems in the past 7-8 years. Nine Regiments of 130mm guns have already been upgraded in keeping with Artillery profile 2027. Various other gun systems are also at different stages of procurement. The modernization of Artillery is a continuous process and is being given priority to ensure that Artillery remains equipped with modern weapon systems

This information was given by Minister of Defence Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri A.A. Jinnah in Rajya Sabha today.

HH/NN
(Release ID :80928)

Now - does this mean 9 regiments of 130mm have been "upgunned" to 155mm/45? Or is this just the Shakti ACCS system installed?

Prashant12

Country flag
Indian gun booms in world’s biggest artillery programme

At 4.30 p.m. on Tuesday, in a historic moment for India’s artillery programme, an indigenous, fully integrated, 155-millimetre artillery gun fired its first rounds of live ammunition at the Proof and Experimental Establishment (PXE) in Balasore, Odisha.

The 155-mm, 52-calibre gun, dubbed the Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS), has been developed by the Defence R&D Organisation (DRDO), in partnership with two private sector firms --- the Kalyani Group and Tata Power (Strategic Engineering Division) --- and the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), which is owned by the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

Business Standard learns that Tuesday’s firing trials, and a second round of testing on Wednesday, met the specified parameters. Although extensive testing remains to be carried out in the months ahead, a project manager describes the actual firing as a “major milestone”.

The shortage of 155-mm, 52-calibre artillery is widely considered the Indian Army’s most worrying shortfall. Over the preceding 18 years, several international tenders for buying 1,580 towed guns from the international arms market have stalled. Consequently, no new 155-mm guns have entered the army since the purchase of 410 Bofors howitzers 30 years ago.

With the spectre of Bofors dogging international procurement, the DRDO charged its Pune-based Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE) with the ambitious ATAGS project to develop an indigenous towed gun.

“In the ATAGS programme, we are developing two parallel sources to cut the risk of delays. The private sector is extensively involved under the prime minister’s “Make in India” initiative. This would allow us to open two manufacturing lines, to meet the large numbers gun requirements of the services”, said Dr S Christopher, the DRDO chairman.

One gun project is being pursued by Tata Power (SED), while the other is working in parallel under the Kalyani Group. The OFB and Bharat Forge are making the barrels.

Going by specifications, the ATAGS is a world-beater. Its “extended range, base-bleed” ammunition has a range of 45 kilometres --- more than any 155-mm, 52 calibre gun in service. ATAGS also has an “all-electric drive”, which is more reliable than conventional hydraulic drives, and improves reaction time and accuracy.

With each ATAGS likely to be priced at Rs 15-18 crore, the contract for building 1,580 towed guns would add up to more than Rs 25,000 crore.

In war, most soldiers are killed or wounded by artillery fire, which is usually fired from 20-30 kilometres away. When an enemy position is to be attacked, artillery is used to pulverize it so that one’s own tanks and infantry soldiers easily overrun it, with minimal hand-to-hand fighting.

India has about 264 artillery regiments, each having 21 guns (including reserves). Many regiments currently deploy lighter, 105-mm “field guns”, but the army plans to make 155-mm its basic gun, since its heavier shell causes more enemy casualties.

If even 150 of India’s artillery regiments are converted to 155-mm guns, that would require 3,150 guns --- twice what was earlier tendered, adding up to about Rs 50,000 crore.

On November 25, the defence minister told parliament that the ATAGS was one of the DRDO’s “mission mode” projects. He said the ATAGS was to have been completed by September 2015, but the date had been extended to March 2017.

In addition, the artillery-starved army has several other gun procurements in hand. The OFB used manufacturing blueprints supplied by Swedish company, Bofors, with the controversial 1986 purchase of 410 FH-77 howitzers, to develop an indigenous 155-mm, 45-calibre gun.

A higher calibre denotes a longer barrel and, consequently, a longer range. Upgrading the 39-calibre Bofors into the 45-calibre Dhanush has increased the gun’s range from 27 kilometres to 35 kilometres (with enhanced range ammunition).

On August 5, the defence minister told parliament that an indent for 114 Dhanush guns had been placed with the OFB. Analysts believe that if these guns satisfy the army, the order could increase to as many as 400 guns.

Separately, New Delhi has signed a contract with Washington for 145 ultralight guns of 155-mm, 39-calibre, built by BAE Systems in the US, the defence minister told parliament on December 2.
In November 2014, the MoD sanctioned 814 mounted gun systems (MGS) for an estimated Rs 15,750 crore. Tenders are also out for 100 tracked (self-propelled) guns; and 180 wheeled (self-propelled) guns. All these are 155-mm, 52-calibre guns.

Towed guns are employed in plains and foothills; tracked (self-propelled) guns are mounted in armoured vehicles to support high-mobility tank formations; wheeled (self-propelled) guns are for fast-moving, non-armoured formations; The MGS is a regular 155-millimetre gun fitted onto a high mobility vehicle, allowing it to move faster and start firing quicker than a conventional towed gun.

=====================

Army’s artillery black hole: 155-millimetre guns in the pipeline”
· 1,580 towed artillery guns for Rs 25,000 crore
· 114 Dhanush guns from Ordnance Factory Board
· 145 Ultralight howitzers from BAE Systems for Rs 5,000 crore
· 814 Mounted Gun Systems (MGS) for Rs 15,750 crore
· 100 Tracked Self Propelled (SP) guns
· 180 Wheeled Self Propelled (SP) guns

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2016/12/indian-gun-booms-in-worlds-biggest.html

tejas warrior

Country flag
Indian gun booms in world’s biggest artillery programme

At 4.30 p.m. on Tuesday, in a historic moment for India’s artillery programme, an indigenous, fully integrated, 155-millimetre artillery gun fired its first rounds of live ammunition at the Proof and Experimental Establishment (PXE) in Balasore, Odisha.

The 155-mm, 52-calibre gun, dubbed the Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS), has been developed by the Defence R&D Organisation (DRDO), in partnership with two private sector firms --- the Kalyani Group and Tata Power (Strategic Engineering Division) --- and the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), which is owned by the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

Business Standard learns that Tuesday’s firing trials, and a second round of testing on Wednesday, met the specified parameters. Although extensive testing remains to be carried out in the months ahead, a project manager describes the actual firing as a “major milestone”.

The shortage of 155-mm, 52-calibre artillery is widely considered the Indian Army’s most worrying shortfall. Over the preceding 18 years, several international tenders for buying 1,580 towed guns from the international arms market have stalled. Consequently, no new 155-mm guns have entered the army since the purchase of 410 Bofors howitzers 30 years ago.

With the spectre of Bofors dogging international procurement, the DRDO charged its Pune-based Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE) with the ambitious ATAGS project to develop an indigenous towed gun.

“In the ATAGS programme, we are developing two parallel sources to cut the risk of delays. The private sector is extensively involved under the prime minister’s “Make in India” initiative. This would allow us to open two manufacturing lines, to meet the large numbers gun requirements of the services”, said Dr S Christopher, the DRDO chairman.

One gun project is being pursued by Tata Power (SED), while the other is working in parallel under the Kalyani Group. The OFB and Bharat Forge are making the barrels.

Going by specifications, the ATAGS is a world-beater. Its “extended range, base-bleed” ammunition has a range of 45 kilometres --- more than any 155-mm, 52 calibre gun in service. ATAGS also has an “all-electric drive”, which is more reliable than conventional hydraulic drives, and improves reaction time and accuracy.

With each ATAGS likely to be priced at Rs 15-18 crore, the contract for building 1,580 towed guns would add up to more than Rs 25,000 crore.

In war, most soldiers are killed or wounded by artillery fire, which is usually fired from 20-30 kilometres away. When an enemy position is to be attacked, artillery is used to pulverize it so that one’s own tanks and infantry soldiers easily overrun it, with minimal hand-to-hand fighting.

India has about 264 artillery regiments, each having 21 guns (including reserves). Many regiments currently deploy lighter, 105-mm “field guns”, but the army plans to make 155-mm its basic gun, since its heavier shell causes more enemy casualties.

If even 150 of India’s artillery regiments are converted to 155-mm guns, that would require 3,150 guns --- twice what was earlier tendered, adding up to about Rs 50,000 crore.

On November 25, the defence minister told parliament that the ATAGS was one of the DRDO’s “mission mode” projects. He said the ATAGS was to have been completed by September 2015, but the date had been extended to March 2017.

In addition, the artillery-starved army has several other gun procurements in hand. The OFB used manufacturing blueprints supplied by Swedish company, Bofors, with the controversial 1986 purchase of 410 FH-77 howitzers, to develop an indigenous 155-mm, 45-calibre gun.

A higher calibre denotes a longer barrel and, consequently, a longer range. Upgrading the 39-calibre Bofors into the 45-calibre Dhanush has increased the gun’s range from 27 kilometres to 35 kilometres (with enhanced range ammunition).

On August 5, the defence minister told parliament that an indent for 114 Dhanush guns had been placed with the OFB. Analysts believe that if these guns satisfy the army, the order could increase to as many as 400 guns.

Separately, New Delhi has signed a contract with Washington for 145 ultralight guns of 155-mm, 39-calibre, built by BAE Systems in the US, the defence minister told parliament on December 2.
In November 2014, the MoD sanctioned 814 mounted gun systems (MGS) for an estimated Rs 15,750 crore. Tenders are also out for 100 tracked (self-propelled) guns; and 180 wheeled (self-propelled) guns. All these are 155-mm, 52-calibre guns.

Towed guns are employed in plains and foothills; tracked (self-propelled) guns are mounted in armoured vehicles to support high-mobility tank formations; wheeled (self-propelled) guns are for fast-moving, non-armoured formations; The MGS is a regular 155-millimetre gun fitted onto a high mobility vehicle, allowing it to move faster and start firing quicker than a conventional towed gun.

=====================

Army’s artillery black hole: 155-millimetre guns in the pipeline”
· 1,580 towed artillery guns for Rs 25,000 crore
· 114 Dhanush guns from Ordnance Factory Board
· 145 Ultralight howitzers from BAE Systems for Rs 5,000 crore
· 814 Mounted Gun Systems (MGS) for Rs 15,750 crore
· 100 Tracked Self Propelled (SP) guns
· 180 Wheeled Self Propelled (SP) guns

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2016/12/indian-gun-booms-in-worlds-biggest.html

Two parallel lines for ATAGS will be game changer when two "Indian" private companies will compete for orders for same product.. think of their production rate !!

Capture.PNG

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles