ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Dhairya Yadav

Last edited by a moderator:

Punya Pratap

Country flag
License Production Of GE-414

Source : GE F414 Engines Selected to Power India Light Combat Aircraft Program | Press Release | GE Aviation

=================

License production means there is no shortage of engines spares and engines, With ToT this is beneficial for Kaveri project too so does cost factor ..
@ersakthivel
@ Kunal very good post!

Second thing I noticed is the post mentioned 17 + 24 - 404 Engines now is this is final inventory ordered coz its way too short of the requirement to power the LSP's + SP's. Hope this is nt the reason for delay in delivering the SP's !! Any clarifications is welcome :)

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
License Production Of GE-414

Source : GE F414 Engines Selected to Power India Light Combat Aircraft Program | Press Release | GE Aviation

=================

License production means there is no shortage of engines spares and engines, With ToT this is beneficial for Kaveri project too so does cost factor ..
@ersakthivel
Most critical parts like BLISK and SCB would be manufactured only in US is my guess.It will be very doubtful if they transfer such a critical tech.

SO what is more important is the Agreement.

In case GOI frame agreements in a such a way that ,

with every single engine buy ,we buy or receive all the tech to make all the spares that are needed to maintain the engine through out its life in one installment and store them as war reserve.

GOI must find a way to have enough reserve engines and parts for each tejas mk2 fighter through out its life from the moment it gets inducted into IAF.

This is the only way in which we can avoid the sanction shortages.

ninja85

It is always good to have a bigger dia ASEAradar with a longer range effective BVR missiles like meteor. tejas has a higher radar dia than rafale even in mk1.

In mk2 it is supposed to have ASEA
still it gonna fly on borrowed wings.:rofl::laugh::lol:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
still it gonna fly on borrowed wings.:rofl::laugh::lol:
GE engines will be replaced once K-9 or the proposed common K-10 for AMCA is ready in a decade's time. Then the wings will become own. If we appy the same qualification our entire airforce is a borrowed airforce, what do you say about that?

Even chinese J-20 and J-31 fly with borrowed wings. Are they all aborting their program.

Air frame development will be completed with foreign engines and even initial inductions will be done with imported engine. As and when local engine tech matures replacement engines will be indian one.

Even the rafale during test flight period flew with GE engines only. And PAKFA right now is flying with an older engine not specially developed for it.

ninja85

GE engines will be replaced once K-9 or the proposed common K-10 for AMCA is ready in a decade's time. Then the wings will become own. If we appy the same qualification our entire airforce is a borrowed airforce, what do you say about that?
yeah whole air force is on borrowed air force,

Even chinese J-20 and J-31 fly with borrowed wings. Are they all aborting their program.
no new thing the chinese copy every thing,

Even the rafale during test flight period flew with GE engines only. And PAKFA right now is flying with an older engine not specially developed for it.
ok but that was test flight period of rafale but its engine was ready with the plane and now rafale is flying with its own engine and pakfa even it's older but still its their own technology and its new engine will be ready by the time of plane.

Last edited:

sgarg

Very good move on the Government's part. It makes a lot of sense that LCA Mark II is built by private sector. The order can be split between HAL and private sector and two assembly lines can churn out the aircraft. This way HAL's current investment is protected, and a healthy competition is created.

LCA Tejas order will be very big. I feel that even 250 is too small a number.

India needs a fighter inventory of around 1500 aircraft between air force and navy. Bulk of this must be a smaller single engine fighter. The air force projections are simply not correct. India has 60 air force airbases and additionally at least 6 naval airbases should be maintained in addition to a/c carriers.

The naval airbases that need fighters are Porbandar, Goa, Karwar, Kochi, Vizag, Kolkata

South India needs several fighter squadrons at air force bases. Currently there are none. These are needed as reserves (in case attrition is too high in the north) as well as to protect attacks from south and east.

Several LCA squadrons are needed in central and east India - minimum are at Lucknow, Gorakhpur, Patna and couple of airbases in West Bengal.

India also needs two squadrons in Kashmir, and 2 squadrons in Gujarat.

Punya Pratap

Country flag
I am of the opinion that Designing should be kept separate from Production... I would be happiest if DRDO etc are given the role of JUST doing R&D where as private players are given manufacturing. This will ensure not only better quality but higher outputs and a Mill Tech Industrial growth.

This is a right step in the right direction and I hope this is applied to other desi projects!

@ SGarg -- I believe IAF has a requirement for 14 squadrons of Tejas Mk2 which are primarily going to replace the Bis/Bisons so 252 is a number I can live with.
Dont forget that we also have a need for AMCA and not Tejas which will be the replacement for Jags and Mig 27's. Besides we will also have FGFA's as well as 14 squadrons of Super Sukhoi's!!

By the way you forgot to mention Jodhpur in the list of Forward Bases that will have Mk2 !!

As for IN, I wish they put one squadron each at INS Baaz & INS Dweeprakash besides INS Hansa and Karwar, Vishakapatnam, Kochi, Vizag, Porbandar !

PaliwalWarrior

you all are happy that pvt industry is getting order fine no issues but the point is

if you can give pvt players advance confirmed orders

why cant you do thte same to HAL ?

give them advance confirmed orders then see thier production

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Air Force has a requirement for 250 LCA Mark-2s

The Air Force has a requirement for 250 LCA Mark-2s, which the government estimates would be covered by the $12 billion advance order.

"It is absolutely essential to set up an additional military aircraft facility here, as HAL is overloaded for the next 10 years and has become too unwieldy,"

Vivek Rae, former director general (acquisition) in the MoD, said, "India sorely needs aircraft manufacturing capability in the private sector. We cannot afford to put all eggs in the HAL basket."

Subhash Bhojwani, retired Air Force air marshal, agreed an additional manufacturing facility is needed,
Source : India Offers To Spend $12B To Break Monopoly | Defense News | defensenews.com

=====================

IAF is planning to operate 14 sqadron of Tejas of both MK1 & 2 >>

In a written statement tabled in the Lok Sabha on Monday, Antony's deputy, Jitendra Singh, stated, "The MiG-21 and MiG-27 aircrafts of the IAF have already been upgraded and currently equip 14 combat squadrons. These aircraft, however, are planned for being phased out over the next few years and will be replaced by the LCA."

So far, the IAF has committed to inducting only six Tejas squadrons — two squadrons of the current Tejas Mark I, and four squadrons of the improved Tejas Mark II. In addition, the navy plans to buy 40-50 Tejas for its future aircraft carriers.
Source : IAF will buy 14 Tejas squadrons, lowering costs | Business Standard News

================

Like i said before, Its just matter of time when more assembly and manufacturing lines will be open in Gov / Pvt for Tejas ..

IAF`s demand will only increase for home made fighters, MMRCA or FGFA future are uncertain ..

Zebra

Country flag
Enhanced F414 Capability

Published on Aug 21, 2014, by GEAviation

==============

(Note: Tejas Mk2 will get F414-INS6, not Enhanced F414) :sad:

biswaranjanrath.sipu

It will take at least 5-7 yrs to develope LCA mk 2 for Ade and hal need another 10-15 yrs to build assemblyline for it and then iaf need another 3-5yrs for proving it as an incapable fighter.so finally after 20-30yrs it Will be inducted into iaf.wake up guys(for hal ,ade,iaf). Think it as a national project.

sgarg

F414 is same dimensions as F404. It is a drop in replacement for F404.

I dont think the engine change is a major problem.

sgarg

It will take at least 5-7 yrs to develope LCA mk 2 for Ade and hal need another 10-15 yrs to build assemblyline for it and then iaf need another 3-5yrs for proving it as an incapable fighter.so finally after 20-30yrs it Will be inducted into iaf.wake up guys(for hal ,ade,iaf). Think it as a national project.
These are your assumptions.

I am confident that Mark II will be flying in 2017.

biswaranjanrath.sipu

OK.then let's wait and see what will happen for LCA mk2.I will be more happy if ur assumption become true.but do not be over confident friend bcoz this is india. As an Indian I know what is the real situation but still I would like to stand by my country and will hope it will achieve all its milestones one day.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Lets keep our assumptions at bay, And must follow what the real men have to say ..

bose

Country flag
India needs another production facility to ramp up the numbers of fighters per year... India needs to act very swiftly and not get into the usual analysis paralysis state...

TATA or L&T are the most capable one's to start the production units... say from five years from now if we take a quick decision ...

sgarg

OK.then let's wait and see what will happen for LCA mk2.I will be more happy if ur assumption become true.but do not be over confident friend bcoz this is india. As an Indian I know what is the real situation but still I would like to stand by my country and will hope it will achieve all its milestones one day.
I know it is India. Russia has asked India to build GLONASS satellites for it. This India can send missions to moon and Mars.
It may not be your India as you may be expecting something else, but it is definitely my India.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles