Paan shop owner gets Rs 132cr 'shock'

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

OUR CORRESPONDENT
Chandigarh, Oct. 24: Rajesh Chautala had expected fireworks this Diwali. But a day before, the Haryana paan shop owner got a "shock" instead — a Rs 132-crore power bill.

"I almost fainted. Even seven generations after me will not be able to pay," he said, referring to the state utility's two-month bill that reached him on Wednesday.

:pound:

Rajesh, in his thirties, took a while to gather his wits before he checked with neighbours in Sonepat's Gohana town and found he was the only one jolted.

"When I saw the figure, I felt sparks come out of my eyes. The bill stated I had to pay Rs 132.29 crore to the Uttar Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam. My bill is usually between Rs 800 and Rs 1,000 as I use only a 40-watt light and a fan in the shop," Rajesh said over the phone from Gohana, around 90km from Delhi.

Still, Rajesh, who makes Rs 20,000-Rs 25,000 each month and has rented the shop, decided to have a closer look to check if it was a printing mistake — the bill mentioned a consumption of "19 crore units".

"I found no mistake. When I told other shopowners, they were as horrified as me," Rajesh said.

The neighbours went into a huddle and, after a few calls to the power board, they were told it was a "computer mistake".

The Nigam dubbed the amount a "blunder" and blamed it on "technical problems" in a new billing software.

"There appears to be some problem in the online billing software, which could have led to such a big amount. We have started an inquiry," a senior board official told PTI, adding Rajesh's actual bill was Rs 1,668 for 232 units.

Rajesh isn't amused. "I am told it's a computer mistake which will be corrected after holidays on Monday. But who will compensate me for ruining my Diwali? Till I get the bill rectified, I am scared of switching on the lights at home."

Once Rajesh gets over his trepidation, the paan shop owner may like to "chew on" a small nugget: Haryana's 2014-15 power budget was Rs 5,360 crore. His bill was 2.5 per cent of it.

:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

:pound:

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Our family once had a similar problem with a wrong electricity bill of Rs. 10,000. This story however beats it by a long margin.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles