Awesome Tigers from our National Parks

trackwhack

Many of you may have followed the stories of Sita, Machli, Charger, B2 etc. I just adore these beasts and wanted to share some pics and a short write up of some of them

1. Sita - Bandhavgarh National Park

Perhaps the most photographed tiger in the world. She brought up 6 litters of more than 14 cubs and as many as 12 are supposed to have reached adulthood. A fierce hunter, she has had many documentaries shot of her. She was aged 17 when she died in 1996.

2. Charger - Bandhavgarh National Park

Sita's long time mate. He definitely fathered at least one of Sita's litter and perhaps 2. One of the largest male Bengal tigers ever seen in the wild. He was massive and had a bad temper. He was't called Charger without reason :). His fight to take over control from the then dominant male Banka is legendary. This guy was so badass, he hunted and killed elephants in his prime.

trackwhack

3. Machli - Ranthambore National Park

Nicknamed the lady of the lakes, she was the darling of Ranthambore. The original Crocodile Hunter. :) She was the daughter of another tigress called Machli but someone mistook her for her mother and the name carried on. She had 5 litters of which she raised 9 cubs to adulthood. She was a fiercely dedicated mother and had many battles with larger male tigers to protect her kills and her cubs.

Machli, facing the camera in a duel over a kill with a much larger male tiger (T-28)

Iamanidiot

Tigers are quite ferocious and do not balk at hunting animals much largers than themselves

trackwhack

I think it is the duty of every well-off Indian to visit Tiger reserves, take their kids and tell them about these legendary beasts. We need to ignite the passion of nature conservation in our country. There is so much that can be done to secure the future of these magnificent beasts. I had the awesome honour of seeing Machli in the wild in 2003. She was so beautiful, my eyes filled up.

ashicjose

tigers are dangerous than lions,lions can be pets easily than tigers becoz lions living social life like humans and tigers living their own,only in breeding time they come together.THEY ARE REALLY DANGEROUS.

trackwhack

4. T 28

This guy is the current Don of Ranthambore. He is MASSIVE. Though it is not possible to weigh these guys, based on the profile he is estimated at 280+ kgs (and Charger was supposed to be bigger, over 300 Kgs :shocked:). Though he hasnt quite created a legacy yet, he is well on his way and he still has a good 4-5 years of ruling Ranthambore left in him. He has already fathered more than 5 litters so far. However there are no good pics of his hunting prowesses.

Has any of the members here encountered an y of these four animals in their Tiger safaris so far? Please post your experiences with tigers if any :)

trackwhack

Khali

Ok, so this guy is the Big Daddy of them all.

Khali is a tiger in Corbett National park, estimated to be 340 Kgs from his profile. He is 1.5 times the size of the average male. He has 3 female tigers in his harem :lol:. Since the report below of him going missing, he has been spotted, the last two pictures were taken in June 2011.

Incidently the largest tiger ever recorded was a Bengal that weighed 845 pounds or 385 kgs.:shocked:. This was back in 1965.

mki

I think it is the duty of every well-off Indian to visit Tiger reserves, take their kids and tell them about these legendary beasts. We need to ignite the passion of nature conservation in our country. There is so much that can be done to secure the future of these magnificent beasts. I had the awesome honour of seeing Machli in the wild in 2003. She was so beautiful, my eyes filled up.
I agree with your comment.... but befor that we need to learn how to behave in such kind of reserve for the comfort of nature......
I have seen many videos, in which our people goes in large tours to these forests...... making so much noise... and throwing plasics and rubbish every-where.... so till our people learn some manners or we strathern the law we need to stop the safari tours.......

so far human made so much damage to the nature and this legendary animals...... so now please protect them and let them live in there home peacefully....

Reactions: sob

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
WWF - Tiger - Overview

Bengal (Indian) Tiger

Scientific name: Panthera tigris tigris

IUCN Listing: Endangered

Habitat: Dry and wet deciduous forests, grassland and temperate forests, mangrove forests

Location: Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar and Nepal. India is home to the largest population.

Interesting Fact: Some Bengal tigers are cream or white in color instead of orange, due to a recessive gene for this coloration. These "white" tigers are rarely found in the wild.

Last edited:

kaustav2001

Country flag
Awesome posts trackwhack :thumb: .. keep up the good work. This thread/ topic sure is a nice addition to the forum.

satish007

Indian animal protection is waaaasy better than China, well done India. we respect you guys attitude to animal , south china tigers and many wild animals were extinct by greedy Chinese.

China changed the dictionary no long time ago, we had a lot of animal descriptions like that meat rich of protein, fur are useful.
I recalled while I was boy, our familly like watching wild animal TV show, many of our familly topics were how to cook them even we just finished our dinner, what's the hell we are?
how about indian now, more and more hunters?

very good pictures, I never saw tiger hunt alligator

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Sad news:

NEW DELHI: 3 tigers found dead in a week in India reserve | World | NewsObserver.com
Forest rangers in a wildlife reserve in northern India are investigating the deaths of three tigers whose carcasses were found over the last week, news reports said Monday.

The latest carcass was found Saturday in the sprawling Corbett Tiger Reserve in Uttar Pradesh state. Park director Samir Sinha told Press Trust of India that officials were investigating the cause of the tigers' deaths.

The carcasses of two other tigers were found in the park earlier last week, leading wildlife officials to suspect that the animals had been poisoned by poachers. But Sinha said that can be confirmed only from autopsy results.

India is home to more than half of the world's estimated 3,200 tigers, with most of them living in wildlife reserves.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I guess I'll post this here:

Most people don't know this, but the largest population of tiger is not in India (1700) or in the wild (3500-3800) in general. The largest populations of tiger are in PRC (China) and the USA.
These are captive populations. The estimated captive population in China is b/w 5000-6000 (less than 100 in the wild) and the estimated captive population in the US is around 5000 (0 in the wild). The reason for captivity in both these countries are different: in the US, rich guys might have private zoos and some may own a tiger for fun, as an exotic pet etc. but in China they love tiger skin, bone, penises, tiger wine etc.
When these animals are kept in captivity, I believe their natural instincts are dulled. The offspring of these tigers might not be able to survive and compete in the wild.

This magnificent animal is not just a treasure of India or Russia or China, it is a treasure of mankind.

At least it is comforting to know that India is taking positive steps and getting positive results
It has even banned tourism in core areas of the tiger reserves.

Fortunately the largest wild tiger population lives in India, and the country is taking new steps to protect them. Last summer India banned tourism in the "core zones" of tiger reserves in response to concerns that too many tourists threatened the reserves and their feline residents.

While this is progress, in the end tigers' fate lies with the Chinese government. The biggest threat to their survival is poachers, and the biggest market for poachers' wares is China.
http://www.care2.com/causes/chinese-tiger-farms-kill-captive-cats-to-sell-parts.html

Sources: America's 5,000 Backyard Tigers a Ticking Time Bomb, WWF Says – News Watch
Chinese Tiger Farms Kill Captive Cats to Sell Parts | Care2 Causes
Inside China's Legal, Hidden Tiger Farming Trade | Motherboard
Tiger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Carolina Tiger Rescue - Home Page

My older daughter is a volunteer at Carolina Tiger Rescue.

I went with her mother and her sister on a tour today. We learned the global population of tigers in the wild is 3500, in captivity 5000. We heard that Leonardo Dicaprio recently gave $3 million to WWF for tigers in Nepal.

W.G.Ewald

Professional

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles