EU members disappointed with EU handling of Modi's visit

Rashna

Country flag
EU trade policy undermined, say members

While EU says a summit may still take place later this year, Indian officials remain cold saying that they will wait to see what the bloc proposes.

NEW DELHI: Many European Union member-states have expressed their disappointment before the foreign ministry over the manner in which EU handled India's offer for a summit meeting in mid-April as part of Modi's European sojourn.

Speaking to TOI on condition of anonymity, the ambassador of a top EU nation said important EU members like France and Germany which did not oppose EU's lackadaisical approach to India were merrily engaging Modi on their own for commercial purposes.

"Now, we have one country successfully selling fighter planes, another wanting to sell whatever it can. Where does that leave EU and its overall trade policy with India?" the envoy said, adding that EU's common external trade policy had been undermined with the summit not taking place anytime soon.

Another senior diplomat from a north European country said an impression had been created that smaller EU countries had more of a hand in preventing the summit from happening. "Many member states were looking forward to the Modi visit as an opportunity to revive the stalled India-EU FTA negotiations," the diplomat said.

Talks for FTA have not taken place since 2013 with both sides at loggerheads over issues like automobiles and India's demand for a data-secure nation status. The BJP government is currently reviewing FTAs signed by the UPA government with other countries but after his meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin, Modi expressed hope that the dialogue with EU for FTA would resume soon and that the two sides would arrive at a mutually acceptable agreement. Merkel said both sides would need to make compromises to achieve such an agreement.

While EU says a summit may still take place later this year, Indian officials remain cold saying that they will wait to see what the bloc proposes.

The European diplomats, however, stopped short of directly blaming Italian diplomat Frederica Mogherini who serves as the chief of EU foreign policy for the summit cancellation. "There's too much at stake for just one person to take such decisions," said a diplomat.

Mogherini has on several occasions spoken out against the delay in trial of two Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen, warning that the issue had the potential to impact overall EU-India relations and may also have a bearing on the global fight against piracy.

EU trade policy undermined, say members - The Times of India

Rashna

Country flag
It seems that the cracks in the European Union are just getting wider and wider. They were holding out for 2 italian marines and got left out in the cold when Germany and France got on with business.

mayfair

The quote about North European countries is interesting, which one could it be?

I suspect it's the troika of Sweden, Denmark and Finland.

anupamsurey

Country flag
the Italy Must understand that this time the Govt of India is not run by The Italian Lady In saree, and her loyal servants........even last time it was Just Italy which stalled the FTA proceedings under the banner of EU where the countries like UK, Germany, and France were in favour of trade agreements with India.

Kyubi

Country flag

But what has these countries got to do with stalling the EU summit..

Mr.Nair

The country like italy now have to understand that bullying will not help them with regards to Inda

prohumanity

Country flag
Agree Mr. Nair....the bullying of India is outdated now and will become extinct in next next few years .

jouni

I guess we do not like Modis crashing of NGOs campaign. For centuries we have been giving a lot despite our small size. List of foreign aid by per centage of GDP

Norway – 1.07%
Sweden – 1.02%
Luxembourg – 1.00%
Denmark – 0.85%
United Kingdom – 0.72%
Netherlands – 0.67%
Finland – 0.55%
Switzerland – 0.47%
Belgium – 0.45%
Ireland – 0.45%

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
I guess we do not like Modis crashing of NGOs campaign. For centuries we have been giving a lot despite our small size. List of foreign aid by per centage of GDP

Norway – 1.07%
Sweden – 1.02%
Luxembourg – 1.00%
Denmark – 0.85%
United Kingdom – 0.72%
Netherlands – 0.67%
Finland – 0.55%
Switzerland – 0.47%
Belgium – 0.45%
Ireland – 0.45%
We are not interested in aid. Thanks for your support. We invite you to an open and balanced rule based market to invest and compete. :)

jouni

We are not interested in aid. Thanks for your support. We invite you to an open and balanced rule based market to invest and compete. :)
Maybe India and EU should make TTIP like EU and US, both would get the fast lane. Unfortunately I do not think you are yet ready for so transparent agreement.

Neil

Country flag

Norway – 1.07%
Sweden – 1.02%
Luxembourg – 1.00%
Denmark – 0.85%
United Kingdom – 0.72%
Netherlands – 0.67%
Finland – 0.55%
Switzerland – 0.47%
Belgium – 0.45%
Ireland – 0.45%
seriously? Hope fins Foreign ministry is not that dumb as you are portraying them to be.

NGO issue will not/ cannot cloud overall relationship that is beneficial to all. Someone in the EU messed up real bad so now bend over and beg for a visit.

DingDong

Country flag
Maybe India and EU should make TTIP like EU and US, both would get the fast lane. Unfortunately I do not think you are yet ready for so transparent agreement.
We are ready to do more business and trade, and the same seems true for large EU members like France and Germany if we believe the TOI article. These two nations plus UK want the largest piece of the cake and won't mind if the EU-India talks falter. India doesn't seem to mind either. These smaller, insignificant nations have the biggest egoes as evident from the discussions on this forum.

Be sure about one thing: our current Prime Minister Modi, he is :bs: proof. I hope the Finns won't bring in the AID angle while having discussions with him if ever the either side engages the other.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
lol ... ok we are not ready.

Samar Rathi

Country flag
We are ready to do more business and trade, and the same seems true for large EU members like France and Germany if we believe the TOI article. These two nations plus UK want the largest piece of the cake and won't mind if the EU-India talks falter. India doesn't seem to mind either. These smaller, insignificant nations have the biggest egoes as evident from the discussions on this forum.

Be sure about one thing: our current Prime Minister Modi, he is :bs: proof. I hope the Finns won't bring in the AID angle while having discussions with him if ever the either side engages the other.

whoa whoa whoa

Funding anti-India NGO's have become aid now ? :rofl:

GokuInd

Nor are you for removing your excessive agricultural subsidies.

sob

Mod
Country flag

Norway – 1.07%
Sweden – 1.02%
Luxembourg – 1.00%
Denmark – 0.85%
United Kingdom – 0.72%
Netherlands – 0.67%
Finland – 0.55%
Switzerland – 0.47%
Belgium – 0.45%
Ireland – 0.45%
did you read the report before you jumped in. The Nordic countries are feeling that they are being elbowed out by France and Germany, for trade with India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles