India votes Against Israel in UNHRC Resolution

Blackwater

India along with BRICS countries on Wednesday voted in support of a UN Human Rights Council resolution to launch a probe into Israel's offensive on Gaza.

India joined Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa to vote for a Palestinian-drafted resolution on "Ensuring Respect for international law in The Occupied Palestinian Territories, including East Jersusalem".

In the 47-member council, 29 countries voted in support of the resolution while 17 nations abstained. The US was the only nation to vote against the resolution. European countries abstained.

The voting came as bloodbath in the Gaza Strip continued unabated on Wednesday with Israel and Hamas refusing to back down in the 16-day conflict that has killed over 680 Palestinians and 31 Israelis.

Earlier, India asked Israel and Palestine to demonstrate political will to agree to a ceasefire and return to the negotiating table. "We remain hopeful that a sustainable ceasefire will be reached between the two sides, linked to the resumption of the peace process, for a comprehensive resolution of the Palestinian issue," India's Permanent Representative to the UN Asoke Mukerji said at the UN Security Council open debate on 'The Situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian Question'.

He said India is "deeply concerned" at the steep escalation in the conflict between Israel and Palestine that has resulted in a large number of civilian casualties and heavy damage to property.

timesofindia.com

amoy

America is a role model in supporting allies no matter how isolated it turns out to be. India did a right thing in consistence with its usual stance in the inconsequential UNHRC.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Free Karma

This is nothing more than a token gesture, wont amount to much.

Israel has already issued a statement yesterday saying Gaza wont affect India ties. the official line as always given a balanced response, but unofficially...we all know who most people support :)
In addition, we are still working to get 30 odd people out from ISIS areas and are depending on for some help.

anupamsurey

Country flag
even though the UNHRC is just a namesake and joke on the stage of global politics, India in a way actually supported the exploits of terrorist group (hamas), so India has lost its justification in fight against terror (India is the most affected country / victim of Islamic terrorism on this earth), so pardon me if India finds less sympathy in context of a next deadly terror attack. though i feel that it was a good piece of diplomacy which India showed with Israel, India must have taken Israel under confidence before voting on such sensitive issue. but Indian politicians, and Indian people must understand that supporting Israel is nowhere equal to hating Muslims (after all we believe that most of the Indian muslims are against terrorism).

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
This is nothing more than a token gesture, wont amount to much.

Israel has already issued a statement yesterday saying Gaza wont affect India ties. the official line as always given a balanced response, but unofficially...we all know who most people support :)
In addition, we are still working to get 30 odd people out from ISIS areas and are depending on for some help.
my reply is the same as i wrote to Hari Sud below

UNHRC means nothing.
the vote has some consequence because later others will quote it and mention some fine day to India that
they voted thus

wrong move, it was better if india remain absent
i think the word you were looking for is ABSTAIN .... and yes i agree that india should have abstained.

In fact toi report a few days ago reportedly said that shushma swaraj said india wouldn't take sides !

Otm Shank

Norhing is meaningless. India needs a more coherent foriegn policy if it actually wants to have benefical results from its diplomacy.

EXPERT

How can we move away from the decision taken during the BRICS Summit. All BRICS nations together came on this decision which is not wrong at all. And I know we already have told Israel and convinced them about our voting in UNHRC.

ladder

Country flag
even though the UNHRC is just a namesake and joke on the stage of global politics, India in a way actually supported the exploits of terrorist group (hamas), so India has lost its justification in fight against terror (India is the most affected country / victim of Islamic terrorism on this earth), so pardon me if India finds less sympathy in context of a next deadly terror attack. though i feel that it was a good piece of diplomacy which India showed with Israel, India must have taken Israel under confidence before voting on such sensitive issue. but Indian politicians, and Indian people must understand that supporting Israel is nowhere equal to hating Muslims (after all we believe that most of the Indian muslims are against terrorism).
The resolution contains and condemns the rockets fired by Hamas also.

ladder

Country flag
21st special session of the Human Rights Council on the human rights situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem - 23 July 2014
21st Special Session

Excepts from the text of resolution which also has reference to action by Hamas.

Condemns all violence against civilians wherever it occurs, including the killing of two Israeli civilians as a result of rocket fire, and urges all parties concerned to respect their obligations under international humanitarian law and international human rights law;
Calls for an immediate cessation of Israeli military assaults throughout the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and an end to attacks against all civilians, including Israeli civilians;

Last edited:

LastProphet

Although it was decided at BRICS but still I don't like it.... Quite surprising is the fact that even South Africa voted against Israel... It's very surprising coz they are normally fully in sync with Brits & America....!!!!!

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
The resolution contains and condemns the rockets fired by Hamas also.
OK, what do you advise then?
21st Special Session

Excepts from the text of resolution which also has reference to action by Hamas.
Thanks for the links. thought for a second that Modi govt has gone full retard. It seems it only went half retard

Any way , imagine if this was done under UPA. All the right wingers would have a had a field day crying secularism.

Right wingers, come out of your hiding please!?!?

I would have rather wanted them to just abstain like the europeans did. NDA is proving to be a carbon copy of UPA :tsk:

Otm Shank

OK, what do you advise then?
Abstain and issue a statement that india wishes to see minimal loss of life but fully supports israels right to defend it's citizens and hopes its military objectives are soon met. Intefering while their citizens still have rockets fired at them and their soldiers are still in a hostile zone is not how you treat a friend.

ladder

Country flag
Thanks for the links. thought for a second that Modi govt has gone full retard. It seems it only went half retard

Any way , imagine if this was done under UPA. All the right wingers would have a had a field day crying secularism.

Right wingers, come out of your hiding please!?!?

I would have rather wanted them to just abstain like the europeans did. NDA is proving to be a carbon copy of UPA :tsk:
Could have abstained but what would we achieved from that?

India-Israel relation is so strong now that, no public posturing will derail it. Even Israel would have taken into confidence before we voted.
But, by voting for the resolution we maintained our relation with other Islamic nation.

Other factor which needs to taken into account our previous voting stance on the previous resolutions thus cited in this resolution.

What we have stated in the case of Sri-Lanka can be followed if any stronger and intrusive resolution is presented against Israel.

This resolution is simply about following the international law which none should be against. But, certain references about Israel ( which I personally object to) should have been pruned before voting in favor of the resolution. But, I will take it.

Also missing is the condemnation of Egypt for closing the border crossing while condemning the Israel for it.

anupamsurey

Country flag
my point was Israel will not give a shit about this UNHRC voting, as simple as it is the UNHRC doesn't has a proper mechanism to impose its will (gutless), my question is does security council gets any say in this.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles