• Russian Federation

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • United States of America

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pmaitra

Who do Indians like: Russia or USA?

Contentious surveys aside, Indians tend to favour Russia over the US. Source: AP

April 14, 2014 Rakesh Krishnan Simha
A Pew survey says Indians are more positively disposed toward the US than Russia. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Do Indians look at the US more favourably than Russia? That would be counter-intuitive considering the Americans are firmly in the Western camp, which is often hostile towards India whereas Moscow is New Delhi's strategic partner and long-time friend. But according to the latest Pew Research Center survey, "In general, Indians are positively disposed toward the US."

The March 2014 survey titled 'Indians Reflect on their Country & the World', claims a majority (56 percent) of Indians have a favourable view of America, while 15 percent hold a very unfavourable sentiment. In comparison "Russia, a strong ally of India during the Cold War, enjoys a 45 percent favourable rating, with 23 percent of the public holding an unfavourable view".

What explains the 11 percent lead the US has over Russia? How could the US, which continues to view the county of 1200 million through the colonial lens, conducts massive spying against India and publicly humiliates Indian diplomats, be in Indians' good books? Clearly, something is amiss here.

This writer asked a seasoned pollster at a leading Indian opinion poll company if such surveys are bias-free. "It depends who you speak to and whether the organisation commissioning the survey has an agenda," he said. "For instance, some of our media clients have asked us to tweak results in a particular political party's favour. We can't say no because the media is a small industry and soon we'll have no clients left."

Given the fact Pew is a US company catering for an American audience, some bias is expected. And because the US media is beholden to its corporate masters and shamelessly flacks for the military, Pew surveys won't get a wee mention in the mainstream press if they deviate too far from the American narrative.

Holes in the survey

This isn't the first time Pew has acted fishy. In its September 2013 survey on Global Opinion on Russia, it talked to people in 38 countries but left India out, with the following footnote: "Results for India are not reported due to concerns about the survey's administration in the field."

What did Pew find? Whatever it was, the omission is unprecedented – and suspicious. The survey claimed that worldwide a median of just 36 percent expressed a positive opinion of Russia. Yet several major Asian countries were positively disposed towards Moscow. For instance, in South Korea 53 percent were in favour, in China the figure was 49 percent, Indonesia 43 percent, and Australia 42 percent.

If nearly half of Chinese polled had a positive opinion of Russia, then the figure from India – which Russia has defended with military might – would surely have been a lot higher. So if overwhelming numbers of Indians had expressed a positive opinion, then India's inclusion would have tilted the median in Moscow's favour. And upended Pew's agenda, if any.

Underhanded tactics

In the latest survey, Pew has achieved the miracle of favourable Indian opinion about the US by removing Russia from the equation and comparing – or rather contrasting – the US with India's chief competitor China and enemy Pakistan.

One of the questions asked was "Do you want strong ties with China or the US"? Predictably 42 percent of Indians chose the US with just 9 percent picking China. How difficult is that?

To the same above question, 21 percent said the US is neither a partner nor an enemy. And 26 percent had no opinion. So basically 47 percent of Indians nationwide did not answer that question because they were put off by the choices offered.

Pew is simply using a tested trick from the propaganda handbook. From a survey on Russia it removes Indians' opinion and in a survey on Indians it takes out the Russian option. Neat.

Snake oil

According to Pew, another reason Indians' views of the US are relatively positive may be that "they do not see Washington as acting unilaterally in foreign policy". "More than half (56 percent) of those surveyed express the opinion the US takes into account the interests of countries like India in making international policy decisions."

Seems like some of those Pew surveyed were either on drugs or brain dead. For, when was the last time the US sought India's opinion on a matter of international importance? How about never?

Other than pollster bias, there could be another explanation for Indians' bizarre views. For that we'll turn to another survey, by the Delhi-based Centre for the Study of Developing Societies. In that survey conducted in 1999 – only one year after the Pokhran atomic tests – 53.5 percent of India's electorate had never heard of the nuclear tests. Incredibly, 35.6 percent of the respondents had never heard of China, India's biggest neighbour. It's like Americans not knowing about Canada's existence.

So what gives? Indians, or at least the mall crawling species – those most likely to be approached by pollsters – are perhaps becoming an increasingly me-focussed generation that can't be bothered about global happenings.

Influence peddlers

Again, Pew's claim that 65 percent of well to do Indians and 61 percent of urbanites are pro-American simply does not wash. Yes, a large number of urban Indians have close relatives living or studying in the US. American universities and corporations are still the go-to places for Indians wanting to supersize their resumes. That is the only sense in which the US evokes positive feelings among some – but certainly not all – Indians. A US green card is not the aspirational thing it was in the last century.

Except for a minority of urban Indians, who author Rajiv Malhotra describes as sepoys – Indian soldiers serving the English army to fight other Indians – most Indians view the US and the West as harbouring ignoble intentions. In fact, the defining belief among Indians is the US and its cohorts do not welcome India's rise.

The fact that billions of dollars in aid money flows into India for conversion of poor Indians in the troubled Naxalite belt in southeastern India, and that nearly all of this money comes from evangelistic churches in the US, Germany, UK, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, Belgium and Australia are evidence of the multi-pronged Western gambit to weaken India's foundations.

Malhotra in his book 'Breaking India' gives evidence of this Western attempts to destabilise India: "What I found out should sound the alarm bell for every Indian concerned about our national integrity. India is the prime target of a huge enterprise – a 'network' of organisations and individuals – that seems intensely devoted to the task of creating a separatist identity, history and even religion for the vulnerable sections of India. The research tracked the money trails that start out claiming to be for 'education', 'human rights', 'empowerment training', and 'leadership training' but end up in programmes designed to produce angry youths who feel disenfranchised from Indian identity."

At the same time, Russia is not even remotely connected to anything anti-India. So any Indian who favours the West over Russia is either uninformed, brainwashed or on the take. According to Saurabh Shukla, a member of Citizens for Accountable Governance, Indians influenced by Westerners "take orders and finance from foreign masters and work continuously to undermine India's integrity. They are also rewarded with fellowships, awards and foreign trips by the foreign masters to feed their ego. The trend is very alarming."

Clearly, whether it is the consistent demonising of India as the "biggest pain in Asia" or the envy spewing out at India's Mars and moon missions, the US and the West have never been true friends of India.

Survey or no survey, that impression won't change. For, that's not opinion, that's fact.
Source: Who do Indians like: Russia or USA? | Russia & India Report

[HR][/HR]

What do DFI members think? Is the gloss over the Indo-US N-deal gone? Are we disillusioned now? Or were we forced to reorient ourselves towards the US, because after the collapse of the USSR, Yeltsin was not interested in the east? Overall, it may be argued, India has maintained a sit-on-the-fence stance, which, if you agree with, was it a wise foreign policy decision?

Levina

A feminist who is a Doval fan
Country flag
Would support Russia.

Reasons:
1) India and Russia belong to the BRIC countries (Brazil,Russia,India and China).China could eclipse America as the world's largest economy, and if India and Brazil continue their upward trajectory and ally themselves with Russia, the four countries are serious contenders that countervail the European Union and G8 countries.
2) After the Khobragade issue India knows how well it is "treated" by the Americans.
3) The recent pharma issues- US dragging India to WTO to stop the production of cheaper medicines in India and threatening India with patents law is nothing but a mere show of its high handedness.

But Russia had been our all weather friend ,Russia also stood behind India when it bore the brunt of harsh criticism for its nuclear tests in 1974 and 1998.Not to metion our relations with Russia when it comes to defence cooperation. Russia has backed up India so its time India recognised its freinds and foes and supported Russia whole heartedly.....actually we already do.

I was/am/will be Pro US.
Give your reasons.
:pop:

Last edited:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Well, I like to be diplomatic always.

I am with Russia in Arms and Defence equipments and with USA in economy and money investment matters like FDI, IT etc.....

Well I hope that everyone understand my DIPLOMATIC stand on these issues.....

Russian Defence equipments are more reliable than Amrikees and Amrika has more money for investment for developing India....:rofl:

pmaitra

Can we have a debate please? We can add a poll later on. I think a debate would be much more informative. No point doing "I love Elbonia - hurrr durr!" Put in your arguments to support your position and let others counter it.

pmaitra

Ok, there were too many requests to add a poll, so I have added one. I would request everyone to engage in a debate.

Illusive

Country flag
I abstain because both look after their own interests.

Russia has always milked India from the defence products we purchase from them,they have a strong lobby in our corrupt MoD.

US has always been arming pakistan and giving them aid which directly hurts India,the fact even after OBL raid they keep helping them really clears it up US is not an ally, they try to bully us through WTO and expect us to toe their line.

ghost

On my personal side i like America over Russia as a country for many reasons and would opt US over Russia if given a choice between these two to live but being Indian from point of view of India i would choose Russia .

Reason being

America in short is all and always about i,me,myself

Russia is about i,we,our-self

If seen in idealistic sense what Russia is doing in Ukraine is wrong but then it is protecting his self interest and i am sure every other country whether it be US or any major power would have done the same.

When talking about self interest

America= 1.self interest 2.self interest 3.self interest
Russia = 1 self interest 2. friendship 3.strategic interest

Major points being

America is the biggest "hypocrite" in this world as per me.

If it was not for USSR then India would have been ###### by Us along with other countries in the west and Pakistan in indo -pak war and i being Indian like other Indians being emotional would always be ready to take arms for Russia BECAUSE A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND IN DEED.

Having said all this i would like to add that in global world India cannot afford to overlook either of the two and we should develop a good balance between the two and as every country does put our self interest as our no 1 priority friendship being no 2.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
On my personal side i like America over Russia as a country for many reasons and would opt US over Russia if given a choice between these two to live but being Indian from point of view of India i would choose Russia .

Reason being

America in short is all and always about i,me,myself

Russia is about i,we,our-self

If seen in idealistic sense what Russia is doing in Ukraine is wrong but then it is protecting his self interest and i am sure every other country whether it be US or any major power would have done the same.

When talking about self interest

America= 1.self interest 2.self interest 3.self interest
Russia = 1 self interest 2. friendship 3.strategic interest

Major points being

America is the biggest "hypocrite" in this world as per me.

If it was not for USSR then India would have been ###### by Us along with other countries in the west and Pakistan in indo -pak war and i being Indian like other Indians being emotional would always be ready to take arms for Russia BECAUSE A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND IN DEED.

Having said all this i would like to add that in global world India cannot afford to overlook either of the two and we should develop a good balance between the two and as every country does put our self interest as our no 1 priority friendship being no 2.
Other than the first two lines (which are your personal views), you have nailed it. +1

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles