Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Bad Move.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

pmaitra

India extends visa-on-arrival facility to 180 countries

NEW DELHI: In a significant step towards liberalization of the visa regime, the government on Wednesday cleared two initiatives: visa on arrival and electronic travel authorization for all countries barring eight "prior reference'' countries including Pakistan, Iran, Sri Lanka and China.

ETA will allow foreign travelers to apply for a visa from home and receive an online confirmation in five working days.

"We have decided to extend visa-on-arrival to tourists from 180 nations. It will take 5-6 months to put the infrastructure in place. We hope to implement this from the next tourist session beginning October," planning minister Rajiv Shukla said.

Visa-on-arrival at 9 airports initially

The extension of visa-on-arrival and electronic travel authorization to citizens of 180 countries will be implemented initially at nine airports including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Goa and Trivandrum. Both facilities are likely to be implemented by the end of the year.

India currently offers visa-on-arrival to tourists from 11 countries like Finland, the Philippines, Singapore and Japan. The decision was taken in a meeting convened by the Planning Commission that included representatives from the PMO, ministries of home affairs, external affairs and tourism.

ETA will be available for a 30-day period from the date of the tourist's arrival in India while VoA will also be for the same period for a single entry.

The move, aimed at boosting the tourism sector, would not need the Cabinet's nod, Shukla said, adding that the home ministry would notify the same at an appropriate time.

"The facility will provide a major boost to the country's tourism sector. This is historic," Shukla said.

A separate website would be set up for extending the facility to foreigners intending to visit India as tourists.

To get a visa, they would need to apply on the designated website along with the required fees. They would be granted an electronic version of the visa within three days.
Times View

This newspaper has consistently argued that providing a visa on arrival should be the norm rather than the exception. For reasons of geography, history and culture, India is well-placed to become one of the world's most favoured tourist destinations. Its potential has, however, been tapped only very slightly. Given the tourism sector's positive spin-offs on employment and earnings, we can ill-afford to let such a situation continue. Anything that can attract tourists to India is worth pursuing. Visa on arrival is one such thing, but far from being the only one. The government must also work to improve the tourism infrastructure and provide a greater sense of security to tourists, particularly women, among other things.
Source: India extends visa-on-arrival facility to 180 countries - The Times of India

Continued from: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/foreign-relations/58030-intel-nod-visa-arrival.html

[HR][/HR]

Good move or a move that makes India vulnerable? Also, should India seek reciprocity?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Terrible move. In one swoop, they made the OCI/PIO pretty much meaningless. As for reciprocity, why would the US or UK etc want to open their gates to an immigrant flood from India? Similarly, India will be now saddled with millions of refugees from even poorer countries (Somalia, Bangladesh, et al).

A historic move or a hysterical one? :hmm:

Free Karma

There seems to be a difference in reporting..see this:
NEW DELHI: Putting to rest the reservations of the ministries of home affairs and external affairs, India on Wednesday allowed visa-on-arrival facility for tourists from 180 countries, including US, UK, China, UAE and Bangladesh. The move is expected to give a major boost to tourism in the country.

However, tourists from eight "prior reference" countries - Pakistan, Sudan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Somalia and Sri Lanka - will continue to apply for visa through embassy.

Till now visa-on-arrival facility was available to tourists from only 12 countries that included Japan, Finland, Singapore, Indonesia, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Cambodia, Vietnam, the Philippines, Laos and Myanmar.
Under the liberalised visa regime, which is likely to kick in from September this year, tourists from these countries can apply online for electronic travel authorisation at least three days prior to their date of travel. Once in India, they will have to undergo just one biometric identification to get the visa, which will be valid for 30 days and would not be renewed. The facility will be available on 26 airports across the country.

"This is a major breakthrough for tourism as we have now extended the visa-on-arrival facility for 180 countries as against the initial proposal of adding just 40 countries," said minister of state for planning Rajeev Shukla, adding that all concerned ministries are now on board to liberalise the visa regime.

It is estimated that the tourism industry can generate $42.8 billion by 2017, a 42% surge from 2007.

Planning Commission had called a meeting in October last year to address the reservations of the concerned ministries on the issue. While the Ministry of Home Affairs was opposing the move citing security reasons, Ministry of External Affairs wanted the identified countries to reciprocate similarly for Indian tourists

Read more at:
Visa-on-arrival facility extended to tourists from 180 countries - The Economic Times
so is China included in the relaxations or not? imo they should not, especially given recent evidence about them harbouring the ulfa leader and such.

From this it seems two of the three departments in the meeting - Home ministry, and the external affairs were against this, but the pmo pushed this forward. Seems like mms at work again, I've read a lot about how he constantly interferes in foreign policy, implementing what certain other countries want, against the advice of specific department, the problem with this guy is he seems to be over assertive at the wrong areas, at the wrong time while being completely silent on other issues.

From the David Headley issue it's clear that people from U.S cant be trusted ,so you make things even easier for them? And then Bangladesh...while the govt there is doing well, there are still many radical elements at play, with backing from external agencies....well some may say visa restrictions never applied to b'deshis visiting here :p

No reciprocity, valid concerns from home ministry....pushed through because of mms, yup, pretty terrible. I'm sure some countries could be allowed, but not a blanket of 180.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Great move.

I hope it will give major boost to the tourism sector and business travel. For eg. Getting an Indian visa was nightmare even for the US business people.

If US/UK do not open their doors for a big middle class in India, then it is their loss. I am sure with the earned revenues, it would be much easier to track the visitors. Even with a strict visa regime David Headley and others were able to get in. So, no system is perfect. In a cost-benefit analysis, I think it is much better to have a liberal system and earn more money to develop better checks and balances.

Also, it is tourist visa and not long term visa. I am sure countries would be black-listed if their citizens fail to return back to their countries. It is because of this reason that UK has strong checks against Indian tourists.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Terrible move. In one swoop, they made the OCI/PIO pretty much meaningless. As for reciprocity, why would the US or UK etc want to open their gates to an immigrant flood from India? Similarly, India will be now saddled with millions of refugees from even poorer countries (Somalia, Bangladesh, et al).

A historic move or a hysterical one? :hmm:
Do Bangladeshis need to fly in to the above mentioned 9 cities to get tourist visa? It is much easier to jump over the border. Also, I did not know that Somalians can suddenly become rich to fly into India and then flood India as refugees.

I saw you preaching universal brotherhood on all other threads. Why a u-turn now!!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The first few weeks are going to be a nightmare for travelers. Indian Immigration guys are clueless and rude at the best of times.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Although 1 month is a small period for a diverse country like India. May be they should extend it to 45 days.

pmaitra

From this it seems two of the three departments in the meeting - Home ministry, and the external affairs were against this, but the pmo pushed this forward. Seems like mms at work again, I've read a lot about how he constantly interferes in foreign policy, implementing what certain other countries want, against the advice of specific department, the problem with this guy is he seems to be over assertive at the wrong areas, at the wrong time while being completely silent on other issues.
I have always batted for MMS over the years as he was one of the few people I really liked, but if what you are saying is true (provide a link if you can), then I think I would rather have Modi in his place, but even he could turn out to be another MMS, who knows?

The first few weeks are going to be a nightmare for travelers. Indian Immigration guys are clueless and rude at the best of times.
I think the immigration folks in Delhi were better behaved that those in NYC.

They are much better than Americans!
I have had very good to bad experience. In the southern US states, you are treated well by the immigration folks.

Although 1 month is a small period for a diverse country like India. May be they should extend it to 45 days.
I think they can fly out to a neighbouring country, and return. It is only good. No need to make anyone feel entitled. Entry into India is a privilege, and should be that way.

Edit: It will not be renewed, so they will have to depart. I think this is a good move.

pmaitra

India should also make sure that they have enough money before they travel to India. This is important. India is not a cheap destination as many people think. They come on a budget, and end up living in shady areas, making themselves vulnerable to assault.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
India should also make sure that they have enough money before they travel to India. This is important. India is not a cheap destination as many people think. They come on a budget, and end up living in shady areas, making themselves vulnerable to assault.
How can they make sure the tourists have enough money before they travel to India.
I think India should have extended visa on arrival only to developed and a handful of developing nations, as that is where the tourists are going to come from.
I mean 180 countries, are you kiddin' me ?
@Free Karma : I think China should be extended this offer too. I mean, they are gonna harbor ulfa guys anyway, so why not extract moneys from Chinese tourists.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twinblade

Country flag
India extends visa-on-arrival facility to 180 countries

Times View

Source: India extends visa-on-arrival facility to 180 countries - The Times of India

Continued from: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/foreign-relations/58030-intel-nod-visa-arrival.html

[HR][/HR]

Good move or a move that makes India vulnerable? Also, should India seek reciprocity?
Visa on arrival is a good move. As far as screening people is concerned, the embassy route is no more effective than the online route. That red tape and long queues only dissuade genuine visitors, not people with malafide intent. It will also allow us to cut down bureaucratic costs of maintaining full capacity missions world over.

pmaitra

How can they make sure the tourists have enough money before they travel to India.
I think India should have extended visa on arrival only to developed and a handful of developing nations, as that is where the tourists are going to come from.
I mean 180 countries, are you kiddin' me ?
@Free Karma : I think China should be extended this offer too. I mean, they are gonna harbor ulfa guys anyway, so why not extract moneys from Chinese tourists.
You won't believe me, but many tourists from developed nations come on a shoe-string budget, expecting India to be cheap, and it turns out to be exorbitant for them.

Yes, I think India needs to extend some extra benefits to people from the region, including Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and Afghanistan, as well as PRC, former Soviet Central Asian countries, and Iran. It could be an extra 10 says, allowing a 40 day validity, as opposed to 30 day for other countries.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
The points raised by @Known_Unknown are completely valid and I don't think there is a good enough way to address those worries. THere are many people from Africa who would not mind coming to India in hopes of improving their lives. This is even more true if India continues on a strong growth trajectory in the future, which it is likely to do. What are the mechanisms to address these issues?
Also, wrt the OCI thing, I don't see anyone wanting to acquire it after this. The primary motivation has always been to avoid the long wait in order to get a visa. If there is no wait, no one will get it. Even if you ignore the principle of reciprocity ,which IMO should be applied, this may be a disastrous move for India.

pmaitra

@Known_Unknown and @atheisthindu,

This VISA-on-arrival is a short term 30 day and non-renewable VISA. PIO cards will always be important.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Do Bangladeshis need to fly in to the above mentioned 9 cities to get tourist visa? It is much easier to jump over the border. Also, I did not know that Somalians can suddenly become rich to fly into India and then flood India as refugees.

I saw you preaching universal brotherhood on all other threads. Why a u-turn now!!
Universal brotherhood is the ideal. That ideal cannot be achieved if all and sundry from all over the world (I think the total number of countries in existence is just over 190) are allowed in without any checks of any kind in the present envorinment. There are enough poor and desperate people in the world who would want to move to India and then become "choo mantar". This happens all the time in the US, UK etc despite them having so many restrictions.

Imagine how long the wait would be to pass through immigration at Indian airports now with everyone waiting in line to be assessed for visa eligibility.

In the next 10-20 years when India is supposed to be a "suppapowa" :)lol:), more and more of such refugees would come as tourists and disappear, staying under the radar to work odd jobs to make money and steal employment from locals, indulge in drug crimes, prostitution etc.

Finally, is there even a single other example of a country offering VoA to the rest of the world? I don't think so.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
This is an unprecedented move. No other country in the world provides visa-on-arrival to 180 countries in the world. Has the rest of the world missed out on some wisdom that only GOI has access to?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles