China Expands Airbase On Coco Island

Galaxy

Country flag
China Expands Airbase On Coco Island

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2011

That arrestingly beautiful piece of land is Greater Coco Island in the Bay of Bengal, a part of India's Andaman & Nicobar Islands union territory. It is one of only a tiny constellation of islands that belongs to Myanmar. Greater Coco has for long been known to be managed by Chinese, with reports over two decades of signal intelligence facilities, maritime bases, a radar facilities (which is, apparently, all but confirmed) and as a general surveillance hub to keep tabs on Indian military activity (which only really began in a big way in 2001 with the setting up of the Andaman & Nicobar Command at Port Blair).

While I was on assignment on the Andaman Islands earlier this month, there was plenty of talk about how the Chinese were expanding Greater Coco island's airstrip into a modern air base. The Google Earth grab above gives you a splendid view of the runway that the Chinese appear to have built (my sources say the base is close to completion).

Indian threat perceptions aside, this airfield has got to afford one of the most scenic landings of any airport I can think of. What a beauty.

Livefist: China Expands Airbase On Coco Island

Last edited:

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
dude, that is pretty close.

why the hell Myanmar is working against us?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Last I heard, Myanmarese military staff took Indian officials on a tour of the islands to convince them that there was no Chinese activity there. This happened around 2 years back (I think). If there is an airbase there now, it has to have come up pretty recently.

SHASH2K2

Looks like Myanmar is still playing double game . Coco Island is too close to our comfort. I seriously think India should fortify Andaman and then look for an Island near Vietnam.Maybe in 3-4 years from now we need to go to china instead of letting them come to our shores.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I would make them squeal like pigs if i had power. an eye for an eye is only language chinis understand.

agentperry

myanmar is forced to work against us by chinese and the 19+tribes are encited to stand up against myanmar govt( just like ulfa) by chinese. game they play

trackwhack

Wont it be part of Navy's strategies to take this base out as soon as hostilities begin if it does?

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Looks like Myanmar is still playing double game . Coco Island is too close to our comfort. I seriously think India should fortify Andaman and then look for an Island near Vietnam.Maybe in 3-4 years from now we need to go to china instead of letting them come to our shores.

what is in it for Myanmar by supporting Chinese against us?

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
is our stupid army and navy aware about these development?

Galaxy

Country flag
I am not sure but i heard Coco Island was part of India and Nehru gave these island to Myanmar as Gift in 50's

Zebra

Country flag
We should talk with Myanmar , some kind of trade and get the Coco islands back .

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
this means only one thing, they are targeting our islands....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles