Should India form an alliance with USA/Russia to counter Chineese MIlitary Growth?

Should India form an alliance with-

• Total voters

binayak95

Country flag
An Alliance With USA, Russia to counter Chineese growing naval might?

HI all,
I have had this grand and somewhat fictitious idea but considering American and Russian posturing in the past few years, I think that an alliance of India and Russia or more probably the US may happen to provide effective military control over the Indian Ocean and in case of a war, to enforce an effective quarantine, in lack of a better word, considering the fact that the Indian Ocean is one the most important trade channel for china.

Feel free to post all of your views.

Thanking you,
A true INDIAN,
binayak95:lca:

binayak95

Country flag
:wave:NO one seems to want to reply to this thread!! Is it because this proposal seems unlikely?? Trust me. Sources in the navy claim that there is a growing chant among the heirarchy to develop a form of alliance based on the "strategic partnership" concept with Russia or more preferrably the US. The clues are all too clear. The development of naval bases at Madascar and the patrolling off the coast of Seychelles and Indonesia. Rumours are also abound that India may enter into a treaty with Maldives and the US to enable us to use the erstwhile naval base of the Royal Indian Navy- Diego Garcia.

Last edited:

binayak95

Country flag
HI all,
In this thread we'll discover how many of us believe that such an alliance can be made and will be successfull.
There are a lot of possibilities and a lot of opportunties for India to develop an alliance with the US/Russia that may entitle:
-Sharing of Intelligence
-Sharing of military bases in the Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean
-Sharing of technology
-Joint production of weapon systems
Basically creating t=a power bloc like NATO during the Cold War period.

Feel free to post your views on the subject and point out my errors.

sky

Russia all the way .A good friend in the past,the present and if we play our cards right in the future as well..

no smoking

Country flag
Before you ask that, you should ask yourself a question: did US or Russia want to form such alliance?

Of course both of them want to counter Chinese military growth, but that doesn't mean they need an alliance with India by bearing some obligations for india.

To Russia, they have to consider their relationship with China on economy, political and military. They can't get more from alliance than their current policy.

In the case of US, they want to counter China in Asia but they also want to counter india's growing influence in south Asia in the meantime.

binayak95

Country flag
Before you ask that, you should ask yourself a question: did US or Russia want to form such alliance?

Of course both of them want to counter Chinese military growth, but that doesn't mean they need an alliance with India by bearing some obligations for india.

To Russia, they have to consider their relationship with China on economy, political and military. They can't get more from alliance than their current policy.

In the case of US, they want to counter China in Asia but they also want to counter india's growing influence in south Asia in the meantime.

I think that the US will benefit the most with an alliance with India and that they are definitely not worried about India's growing military and diplomatic influence because they consider India to be a democratic country on the rise. American military policy envisions India as a rising global power that can take over the responsibility of controlling the SE Asia theatre vis-a-vis China.

As for Russia, neither Russia nor India can ask for more from our present military and diplomatic alliance. Our countries are jointly manufacturing weapon systems such as the BrahMos and the FGFA. We support each other in Intl' Forums such as the UNSC.

binayak95

Country flag
Russia all the way .A good friend in the past,the present and if we play our cards right in the future as well..
I agree that Russia has been a very good friend to us for a long time. But we must also reatlize that the Russia of present is not the old Soviet Union that had the military and diplomatic clout to come to our aid. In the 1971 Indo-Pak war the Americans sent a naval task force led by the nuclear aircraft carrier USS Enterprise into the Bay of Bengal to aid the Pakistanis in what was then East Pakistan.
PM Indira Gandhi requested the Soviets for help. They responded by deploying nuclear submarines to protect our naval task force led by INS Vikrant and to reinforce our blockade of Bangladesh ports.

But...but.... the Russians can't possibly do that. They have their hands tied due to an economy that was devastated by communism.
The Americans on the other hand are very much in aposition to help us. They realise that India is the only Asian power that can counter China in the long run. They have a huge asset in the Indian ocean. Adoo Atoll islands which was once the home of the Royal Indian Navy during WW2.

KS

Bye bye DFI
India +France + Israel + Germany + Russia + Japan

no smoking

Country flag
I think that the US will benefit the most with an alliance with India and that they are definitely not worried about India's growing military and diplomatic influence because they consider India to be a democratic country on the rise. American military policy envisions India as a rising global power that can take over the responsibility of controlling the SE Asia theatre vis-a-vis China.
US also need to counter india's military growth in south asia. So, US would like to have india's help on countaining China doesn't mean it wants to give india's free hand in south aisa by forming an alliance. If you look at US' history of aiding Pak before 911, you would realise that Pak has been US' important ally in south asia which is aiming at --- India.

binayak95

Country flag
US also need to counter india's military growth in south asia. So, US would like to have india's help on countaining China doesn't mean it wants to give india's free hand in south aisa by forming an alliance. If you look at US' history of aiding Pak before 911, you would realise that Pak has been US' important ally in south asia which is aiming at --- India.
Yeah but then India was a close friend of USSR, which was a rival of US. That is clearly not the case now.

niharjhatn

Times have changed. Especially since the latest debacle involving Osama, the US have finally recognized Pakistan for what it is, playing a two-faced game. Plus - it aint the cold war no more.

The saddest thing is that under the growth of China, India, Korea, etc different nations in Asia could have formed truly solid ties with each other, and really competed on the world stage (i.e. with Europe). Instead they are intent on pulling the carpet out from under each other, giving outside powers another chance to step in and meddle with our affairs.

I hope the US, were they to really start to involve themselves with India, help on more stages than just militarily, but politically, helping other aspects like agriculture, and in my mind one of the most important - Military Intelligence. Even if they don't help us directly, better ties with the US will close our relationship with Israel even more, who have the best Intelligence service in the world!

Last edited:

binayak95

Country flag
India +France + Israel + Germany + Russia + Japan
With respect, I think you are being a bit too optimistic. Why the hell would Germany, France or Israel be interested in fighting China. Sure they consider the chineese a nuisance, no offence no smoking, but the question is do they dislike China enough to risk getting nuked??? Certainly not.

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
一厢情愿

hehe ,india can want to do it,,but indian can not do it.

KS

Bye bye DFI
With respect, I think you are being a bit too optimistic. Why the hell would Germany, France or Israel be interested in fighting China. Sure they consider the chineese a nuisance, no offence no smoking, but the question is do they dislike China enough to risk getting nuked??? Certainly not.
:p

Just chill dude. It was my dream.Need not be serious everytime.

Koovie

Better inecrease BRICS cooperation to the political and military field.
And in the longterm both China as well as India will have to work together to foster peace, cause we are neighbours

Adux

Country flag
Has anyone considered the cost India will have to bear when it takes on two real enemies , China and Pakistan all by herself. How did USA defeat Soviet Union? Read China, Pakistan and Western Europe.

I believe we should evolve a partnership with USA, Japan, Vietnam, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia and other ASEAN countries in a Asian NATO, where we have to make sure we are and will be treated equal to USA, we shouldnt and will not be (since we dont have the same history) treated similar to Japan.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag

Your assertion that USA will also like to counter India's military growth in South Asia is based on flawed assumption if there is any in your mind.

If that is the case why would they be willing to sell the latest in military weapons and refuse to sell the same to China? Pakistan's alliance has not paid any dividend from the stability of the Pakistan nation itself and in the neighbourhood as well since they are playing to the tunes of your esteemed CCP and PLA ideology of containing India, which has started to backfire in itself and left your regime in quandrum that is why your Government keeps issuing verbal warning to India on SCC issue. Besides times have changed in the economic sector of the region. The nations other than Pakistan in Asia are more lucrative to the business titans of USA than Pakistan. All you have to do is put all the number of USA exports to countries of S.E. Asia and South Asia and in the other column Dollar figures on USA export to Pakistan, anybody with a common sense will come to same judgement that time has come for USA to move on.

What I read into your assumption is fear that CCP and PLA is experiencing due to the possibilities of trilateral alliance which might be formed in the near future. Who is at fault that is the question you have to figure out. I know the answer already. Russia already has a military alliance with India if I remember correctly it was started durin the Indian and Pakistan war of 1971.

The leadership and common citizen of these two countries has a different take on alliance with India than what you think. India will not be burden on their economy but economic benefit to both of them as compared to Pakistan. Your only problem is the goals of your ruling thugs will not be realised at all ever in the future millennium and that is the giving you sleepless nights.

Now let us look at Russia. Are you saying that Russia has more to gain from China in the economy, political and military? How can you explain in detail rather than one line answer? From what I know Russia's major export to China is natural gas and oil. They can export the same commodity to Europe and other Asian countries. I do not see the political gain to Russia. Military, I do not think your country would dare to take on Russia. You do not want to wake up sleeping but alert Bear. If any one of your leader do that it will be the biggest strategic mistake for your nation. This will give you four enemies on four sides of your border. If you do not know let me know, I will tell you.

In Asia region USA does want a strong military counter weight to China to contain ever aggressive nation of yours towards all the neighbours in the region. You keep claiming Arunachal Pradesh state of India, SCC reefs, islets from Vietnam, Philippines. You are also claiming Leodo reefs of the Island of Jeju from North Korea in the latest development. Thus you are going to push North Korea towards South Korea and it has been done in the past by your regime.

USA does see India as a natural ally, which has had a peaceful coexistence with her neighbours ever since the Independence in 1947. India also provides an economic clout and exchange of goods and services both ways which no other democratic and transparent economy in Asia does. Now do not come back to claim that China provides the same benefits to USA and Western as India does. It does not when it comes to transparency and openness of the market. Do your own research if you want to satisfy your mind.

USA and Russia do not look at India as a threat militarily or economically but as an equal partner that is why their defense industries see no problem in joint collaboration projects or transfer of technology. Where as China has become a headache due to counterfeiting of products and not enforcing the WTO rules.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles