Scotland to vote on independence in 2014

Will the United Kingdom breakup ?

• Total voters

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Scotland will hold a vote in 2014 on independence in what could result in the eventual breakup of Britain, a British government minister said on Tuesday.

British Prime Minister David Cameron, who wants to keep Britain intact, had backed holding a vote as soon as possible on whether to end Scotland's 300-year-old union with England, with a simple "yes" or "no" single question.

Scottish to vote on independence in 2014: minister | Reuters

Defenceindia2010

Country flag
Hope, Scotland vote's for independence anyway they are better off without the English. And if Scotland gets independence who knows Wales might be next.:pray:

drkrn

alas see what time has done..
the once "an empire where sun never sets " is now breaking apart.what a pity

if Scots really wish to break up then this will be an end to England & Britain will have to loose its veto & permanent seat to some other nation.
they have to look for new naval bases to keep their nuclear capable tridents out of Scotland..

i sense a great opportunity for India to set its foot in permanent league.we have to play wise or else we can have a good competition from Germany claiming the previous player an European so it must replaced with an European nation..

or can japan be a competition?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a nation that consists of four countries (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales). It would be better for Scotland to get more autonomy rather than outright independence, I think.

Anyways,
Scotland the Brave

Just love this song. Used to listen to the bagpipes version of this song before sleeping, when I was a kid. :)

PS: Gotta love the Scottish accent :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Scotland the Brave

Pipes and Drums Version

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
If only Churchill were alive now! It seems that India is more of a country than the equator but that the "United Kingdom", an artificial entity built by centuries of Anglo-Saxon imperialism, is not! :rofl:

IBSA

Country flag
I think the success of Scotland's independence will be influenced by the events on Catalunya.

A Spanish minister replied the Catalunya's threat promising to use force to avoid the break up of Spain. Will London to accept the pool results, or will they try to crash the Scottish independence movement on case of success???

If Catalonya get its independence from Spain and enters later in UE (they are Spain haters, not European haters), their success can inspire the Scottish claims. If they fails, Scottish can discourage on independence pursuit.

trackwhack

If only Churchill were alive now! It seems that India is more of a country than the equator but that the "United Kingdom", an artificial entity built by centuries of Anglo-Saxon imperialism, is not! :rofl:
Oh, he is alive. Through his millions of adulating fans. :lol:

mayfair

It'll be interesting to see if Scotland, which is itself dependent on the central grants to the tune of £11 billion a year will actually vote for independence. There is a strong unionist faction in there fiercely opposed to severing any ties from the Crown. Moreover, lots of Scots and English have settled down in England and Scotland respectively and lots of mixed families around.

Plus, at the moment the Scots enjoy many perks of being an independent country (separate legal system, football team, a parliament, even a separate currency) without accompanying baggage (need to maintain armed forces etc.). Not sure if they'll be willing to give it all up and wade in to the choppy waters of geopolitics as a sovereign nation.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Scotland declaring independence would trigger a domino effect, N.Irland will for sure follow suit, Wales might do the same. Then it would only be logical to strip England its membership in the UN security council (this does not mean that Britain deserves it now).

I truely believe that both Britain and France should give up their memberships, and in return a seat can be granted to the European Union.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Scotland declaring independence would trigger a domino effect, N.Irland will for sure follow suit, Wales might do the same.

My Reply :-
the reason you suggested the domino effect is by looking at the map without having a knowledge of the hidden demographics !!

the welsh population is a mere 3 million and composed of many english families who "migrated " there centuries ago but still consider themselves english and not welsh ...they would certainly NOT be in favour of any form of independence

the same is true for N ireland -many english and scottish families there - who hold to their original ethnicity and loyalty

i know that because among other reasons, i have lived there many years and spoken to many on this issue

the main and indeed ONLY contender for independence would be scotland - they have a large enough population of more than 5 million homogenous not mixed as in wales or N Ireland to form a nation immediately , have been in "the business of it for about FOUR decades ", have had a separate parliament for a long time , hold a fair bit of resentment against the colonialism of their nation and have resources including North Sea Oil to back their assurance of prosperity after independence , not to mention having top class universities , a separate scottish pound , a separate bank of scotland etc etc

i dont see the other joining in on the act , talking about it sure , but actually going for it no way - only scotland ...so there will not be any of your suggested " domino" effect even if scotland decides to leave the Kingdom.

Oh , btw i almost forgot - many thanks to member Lurkerbaba for an interesting thread !

Last edited:

Nagraj

Isn't it amazing how these things turn out. not even 100 yrs have passed.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Oh ach, those damn sassenachs.
In the Celtic languages, the word for the English nationality is derived from the word Saxon. The most prominent example, often used in English, is the Gàidhlig loanword Sassenach (Saxon), often used disparagingly in Scottish English/Scots. It derives from the Scottish Gaelic Sasunnach meaning, originally, "Saxon", from the Latin "Saxones"; it was also formerly applied by Highlanders to (non-Gaelic-speaking) Lowlanders.[2] As employed by Scots or Scottish English-speakers today it is usually used in jest, as a (friendly) term of abuse. The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) gives 1771 as the date of the earliest written use of the word in English.

Sasanach, the Irish-language word for an Englishman, has the same derivation, as do the words used in Welsh to describe the English people (Saeson, sing. Sais) and the language and things English in general: Saesneg and Seisnig. These words are normally, however, used only in the Irish and Welsh languages themselves.

Cornish also terms English Sawsnek from the same derivation. Some Cornish were known to use the expression 'Meea navidna cowza sawzneck!' to feign ignorance of the English language.[3]

England, in Gàidhlig, is Sasainn (Saxony). Other examples are the Welsh Saesneg (the English language), Irish Sasana (England), Breton saoz(on) (English, saozneg "the English language", Bro-saoz "England"), and Cornish Sowson (English people) and Sowsnek (English language), as in the famous My ny vynnav kows Sowsnek! (I will not speak English!).
Saxons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kesang

If more than 99% northern Irish voted for staying with United kingdom then we can expect even less separatism feeling among Scottish since there are no such thing like IRA in Scotland. I don't think that Scotland going to separate from UK.

BRAVEHEART

SAY SCOTLAND:D

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
If more than 99% northern Irish voted for staying with United kingdom then we can expect even less separatism feeling among Scottish since there are no such thing like IRA in Scotland. I don't think that Scotland going to separate from UK.

BRAVEHEART

SAY SCOTLAND:D
people in northern ireland are descendends of english colonizers only. they stole that land, the original irish are a small minority in northern ireland.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Good luck to Scotland, hope they vote for independence! Wonder what will happen to the UNSC seat of "Great Britain" when Scotland separates. Will it go to Scotland or stay with "England and Wales" or better, be abolished? :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles