"UK is a Christian country"-David Cameron

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag

David Cameron says the UK is a Christian country

David Cameron has said the UK is a Christian country "and we should not be afraid to say so".

In a speech in Oxford on the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, the prime minister called for a revival of traditional Christian values to counter Britain's "moral collapse".

He said "live and let live" had too often become "do what you please".

The PM said it was wrong to suggest that standing up for Christianity was "somehow doing down other faiths".

Describing himself as a "committed" but only "vaguely practising" Christian, the PM admitted he was "full of doubts" about big theological issues.
full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16224394

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Seems to me like he's just pandering to the religious far-right.

mayfair

Nothing wrong in what he says...his country, his people, who have voted him to power.

Now if only he and the likes of him stop preaching us about secularism..

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Seems to me like he's just pandering to the religious far-right.

His comments is really more of a cultural issue as opposed to religious. The "Christian" thing in Europe is about European identity before the current influx of Asian and African immigrants who are asserting their cultural identities (as opposed to assimilation). Europe or UK for that matter is no longer a homogeneous society. There's a huge dilemma now in their society, on one hand they are so protective and proud of their freedoms (religion, etc.), yet they are equally proud of their cultural heritage. Which is which now?

Although you're right about the political right. That's the Tory base.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Nothing wrong in what he says...his country, his people, who have voted him to power.

The West is really fundamentally and institutionally secular. This issue about religion has nothing to do with Government or their Constitution in UK but is more of a cultural issue. UK, like the rest of Europe, want to retain their traditional identity and culture.

ejazr

Ambassador
Actually, the UK has a state religion and the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Church of England have a special position in the British constitution.

It is like Islam being the state religion in Bangladesh, but institutionally it is secular. Indonesia has six state religions, but in practice it is a secular country.

The problem with UK is that it has been afflicted with anti-religion secularism vis a vis Europeans like France. It should rather follow the Indian, US course were being religiously devout is not in itself a bad thing as long as you provide the freedom for other religions the same

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
"Institutionally secular" is just a meaningless phrase. These "institutions" only observe Christian holidays or civic holidays, but not those of other faiths. Id or Diwali are not officially celebrated nor are there official holidays for these religions which are the fastest growing in the UK.

Truly secular institutions would grant holidays for non-Christian festivals as well.

pankaj nema

Country flag
This statement has to be seen in its entire context

UK has a large Muslim population that is overtly aggressive in its Anti West Behaviour

The UK police is very busy conducting raids on Muslim neighbourhoods , Mosques and homes
and regularly hard liners are rounded up for Provocative speeches

Many people have been given long term prison terms

There is a growing feeling that UK muslims have been treated leniently by the UK constitution
and there is a need for tough laws like that in France Austria Germany and Holland

On the whole Anti Islamic feelings will remain and will
only grow stronger through out Europe for Next Several decades ie
AS long as the West is seen to be Anti Islamic by the European Muslim Population

The West is seen to always needling Islam whether it is Egypt Libya Syria Iran or Pakistan

This breeds radicalism amongst European Muslims which in turn leads to Anti Islamic rules and laws

German Chancellor has already DECLARED that Muslims Have FAILED to Integrate with Europeans

SO UK too must display some " Official tough ness " by the mainstream parties like Labour and Conseravative
OR ELSE the far right BNP will come to power

agentperry

i find muslims migerating from troubled areas guilty of what is happening today in europe.
they are mostly illiterate channeled into europe through illegal routes and via human trafficking. they come with a mindset of neil armstrong and turk invader that NOW I HAVE LANDED IN HEATHROW WITH MY DOZEN CHILDREN AND 4 WIVES I SHALL MAKE THIS COUNTRY A SHARIA COMPLIABLE STATE AND THESE PEOPLE WHO PAYS TAXES FOR THE BENEFITS THAT I GET FOR FREE ARE DIRECTED BY ALMIGHTY TO SERVICE ME.

THERE GRANDEUR DREAMS TAKE THEM NOWHERE BUT JAILS AND ISOLATION WITH IMMENSE TROUBLE TO THERE FAMILIES.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

I think his party didn't even get 50% votes.

Galaxy

Country flag
Yes, U.K. is Christian country and Muslims who trying for demographic invasion should always remember that.

If any Mullah has problem, better don't live in U.K and stay in Islamic nation under influence of Shria law.

Their country, Their rule. They are not inviting anyone. Those who go there should follow the culture and tradition of U.K. which is mostly based on Christianity.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Yes, U.K. is Christian country and Muslims who trying for demographic invasion should always remember that.

If any Mullah has problem, better don't live to U.K and stay in Islamic nation under influence of Shria law.

Their country, Their rule. They are not inviting anyone. Those who go there should follow the culture and tradition of U.K. which is mostly based on Christianity.
I disagree. Those who go there should start fighting and create divisions in the society. Who cares whether they are inviting or not.

Galaxy

Country flag
I disagree. Those who go there should start fighting and create divisions in the society. Who cares whether they are inviting or not.
Well, They always do the same wherever they go. Only Muslims have problem with majority wherever they go.

Why the hell they going in Western countries when they hate so much ??

They should live in Islamic nation under influence of Mullahs and don't forget Christians don't come to such Islamic nation.

U.K. government should banned Muslims to enter who don't obey Christian sentiments. BTW, Most of the Muslims countries already did for Non-Muslims.

Native Christian living under fear in most the Muslim countries and Muslims have problem with Christian countries when they going on own to make money and better life ?? Height of Hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Reactions: mki

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I dont care what muslims do...im only saying i dont wish for the well being of uk.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Native Christian living under fear in most the Muslim countries and Muslims have problem with Christian countries when they going on own to make money and better life ?? Height of Hypocrisy.
watch that Indian muslim video i posted yesterday....even maulvi agrees with you.

Global Defence

Articles