Top world economies by GDP (PPP)

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
I was a bored so I decided to check out some IMF reports. I was a bit surprised to know that India's GDP in 2015 is expected to be close to $ 10 trillion in PPP terms. I was also surprised to see that China's economy will surpass the US this year. Keep in mind that this is probably an underestimate because it's based on older GDP growth numbers before India changed how it calculates GDP growth.

GDP (adjusted for PPP) in billions in 2015

1) China - 19,230.293
2) United States - 18,286.685
3) India - 7,882.588
4) Japan - 4,916.755
5) Germany - 3,741.779

Source : IMF

Reactions: jus

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
@Cadian India's debt to GDP Ratio is 61% as per our RBI. In this case I will have to doubt the rest of the list since the list is wrong about india.

Last edited by a moderator:

karn

Country flag
@Cadian India's debt to GDP Ratio is 61% as per our RBI. In this case I will have to doubt the rest of the list since the list is wrong about india.
That is total debt including government , corporate debt and houshold debt .. Indias government debt to gdp ratio is 61%

Last edited by a moderator:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
That is total debt including government , corporate debt and houshold debt .. Indias government debt to gdp ratio is 61%
Thanks for the info, but i am not getting any source which says india's overall debt is more than 2 trillion. could you point to a source ...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Sorry guys, I am still unable to Wrap my head around it. Going by 2014 data public debt is about 450 billion usd. Are we saying that pvt companies are in a debt of more than 1.5 trillion usd to banks outside of the country.

I am still unable to find a source from within india, all the sources are external and outside of the country.

Even the above article is from 2012.

Help Appreciated.

karn

Country flag
Sorry guys, I am still unable to Wrap my head around it. Going by 2014 data public debt is about 450 billion usd. Are we saying that pvt companies are in a debt of more than 1.5 trillion usd to banks outside of the country.

I am still unable to find a source from within india, all the sources are external and outside of the country.

Even the above article is from 2012.

Help Appreciated.
Total debt means all the money owed by all India citizens and institutions and companies to whoever . If you have taken out a loan even that is added to "total debt".
External debt is different mostly dollar denominated... Its problematic as it is at risk due to currency fluctuations,
List of countries by external debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indias external debt is 455 billion USD.

Last edited:

santosh10

we are waiting for the world bank to update their following page, including the datas for 2014 as below :ranger:

it would be similar to the IMF data, i guess.....

//data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.PP.CD

CrYsIs

Country flag
GDP PPP has no meaning ,only per capita PPP matters where India is a bottom
ranker.End of story

prohumanity

Country flag
India 's debt is very low as India for decades protected its economy from outside influence and kept it domestically driven. Now, India is gradually opening up and accepting more debt from foreign sources. European economies are growing at the rate of 0.5 % , US economy is growing at 2% (even with war spending) China is growing at 5% and India is growing at 6 to 7 %. West is in stagnation , mostly older people who consume less of everything except health care. Wars in middle east ..are gradually draining the reserves and the victory seems 10 to 15 years away.

karn

Country flag
India 's debt is very low as India for decades protected its economy from outside influence and kept it domestically driven. Now, India is gradually opening up and accepting more debt from foreign sources. European economies are growing at the rate of 0.5 % , US economy is growing at 2% (even with war spending) China is growing at 5% and India is growing at 6 to 7 %. West is in stagnation , mostly older people who consume less of everything except health care. Wars in middle east ..are gradually draining the reserves and the victory seems 10 to 15 years away.
"War spending " is added to GDP.

Hari Sud

Country flag
When considering Chinese GDP -PPP, always remember that absolute number contains about 30 to 40% export contents. Hence that GDP number is not true representation of domestic consumption and true prosperity. Yes, I have to give credit that the exports bring in the cash and the Chinese have become cash rich. Alas! that cash stays back in US and Europe, hence they do not get the full benefit of exports, GDP and cash.

Jatt.Hindustan

Tihar Jail
Banned
Now, look at who has most fertile land/military manufacturing capacity only two things that matter.

India is top in 1st one, lacking in second..

Comparing a barren Canada, to a land like India is an insult to even a fish in Ganga.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I figured this thread was as good as any to post this great image which really puts a lot of things in perspective. This is a list of countries which are poorer than Bill Gates

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
No offence but that's dumb. If India's total GDP grows, so does its GDP per capita.
I have no knowledge of economics so I maybe wrong.
However I feel what he is saying is not dumb. If total GDP grows slowly and India`s population increases exponentially then the GDP per capita will decrease.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles