GDP of States in India 2012

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Recent Update: The VMW Analytic Services is working on the launch of UNIDOW Development Indicator -UDI, which ranks Indian States not only by GDP numbers but the "UDI". UDI is a rating measure of the UNIDOW FIS and will be based on several parameters to rate federal states of India. Curious to know more? Please contact VMW Analytic Services: [email protected]

===

sounds farzi ?

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
Maharashtra is 16% of GDP and Mumbai - 8%.

ant80

What is the per-capita GDP of the states? That will give a better picture of prosperity than the overall GDP.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Maharashtra has a YoY growth of 14%?? Hmmm. Gujarat is not shining. Even per capita wise gujarat is low. Karnataka in the dumps. Both my native state and adopted state not high up the ladder.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Maharashtra has a YoY growth of 14%?? Hmmm. Gujarat is not shining. Even per capita wise gujarat is low. Karnataka in the dumps. Both my native state and adopted state not high up the ladder.
Maharashtra as at high position because of Mumbai. Take our Mumbai from Maharashtra it will be languishing some where in the middle. Same with Karnataka. Take out Bangalore, it will languish some where at the bottom

drkrn

wow andhrapradesh ahead of Tamilnadu in this list.but still per capita income needs to improve.
what happened i think they have a very well established industrial base there
any way thanks to daredevil.i couldn't get my states GDP on net but he kept all the countries

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tamil Nadu has higher state GDP as well as per capita than Gujarat. What's happening? In spite of all the power cut? Statistics indeed tell some story.

Hari Sud

Country flag
There is a need for huge education on the matter GDP and which figures which person uses and when.

There are mostly two GDP figures which are floating around on the internet. The nominal GDP which is inflation adjusted and current exchange rate relative to dollar adjusted figure. I belive "daredevil" above has posted these above for India by state.

There is PPP-GDP. This is the total economic output of a country taking into account the relative costs and inflation. It does account for relative lifestyle and living conditions in the country.

To a layman like me the PPP-GDP makes more sense. If you scour the internet you would find India's PPP-GDP close $4.0 Trillion for year 2011.

On the other hand nominal GDP is $1.6 Trillion.

Hence here is my point - an economist or a politician or a common man too impressed by China always quotes PPP - GDP for China at $10-11 Trillion (although 60% exported and not available to Chinese people) but quotes nominal GDP for India at much lower value. He is comparing apples and oranges. But politically it is a tool to beat on India's head to show how advanced Chinese are in 25 years and how backward Indians are in that period. The forgoing is not one bit true.

Hence check the basis when statistics are quoted. Statistics have a unique way to lie.

Going back to China and Chinese people, if they exported 60% of their GDP then only 40% (about $4.0 Trillion) is left for local consumption. This is not much different from what people of India have to consume (they hardly export anything compare to China). That 60% sold outside of China brings back huge cash. Alas!!! a good part is retained by American and Europeans to pay for their wars and financial misdeeds. Remaing returning to China pays for raw materials, labour, building a military machine and eye catching infrastructure. The forgoing does not impact much the lifestyle in the countryside where 72% of the Chinese live.

Hence my point here is that - do not get too impressed with Chinese statistics.

If you need a better explantion then ask an economist.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
I would be pretty keen on the real GDP numbers for these states, that would give us a much better sense of which state is doing what and also the aid and loans/grants raised by the concerned states. If we can access data in those lines, would be the real deal. As a matter of fact, a much more detailed data which can list up debt to gdp ratio, tax to gdp ratio, and more such data which can give us a sense of the real fiscal situation of the state.

I was going though the data listed up at the wiki, and that gave a sense of a comparative analysis between nominal GDP from '04-'05 to '11-'12.

This data puts Bihar as a shining example of the good that has happened, coupled with smaller states that tend to get over looked, more importantly these are landlocked states and amongst the bigger states MH, TN and to an extent GJ have done better, rest put up a disappointing show, but then again, and I put a rider here, which is, these are nominal numbers, accounting the inflation, so one gets only a partial sense, and in some cases a very biased sense, of what is happening, and I'm no fan of nominal numbers.

One thing does stand out from this data, the smaller states have done much better, in fact some of them have done phenomenally well, though there are also examples of JH, and CH which have been a disappointment and no more.

Rahul92

Uttar pradesh overtook Andhra pradesh due to telengana moment

Global Defence

New threads

Articles