Islamabad is a planned capital city...why is it so close to India?

ArmchairGeneral

I just checked this out...

45KM from India proper, and 80KM from the LoC...

what were they thinking? Why hasn't India ever taken an offensive in this region, in either 65 or 71?

How vulnerable is Islamabad today?

Sambha ka Boss

I just checked this out...

45KM from India proper, and 80KM from the LoC...

what were they thinking? Why hasn't India ever taken an offensive in this region, in either 65 or 71?

How vulnerable is Islamabad today?
Pakistan army's headquarters is in Rawalpindi, they wanted a new capital where Army can keep a close tab and run the government from Rawalpindi and it worked for them in case of both cvilian and military government.

sorcerer

Country flag
When Indian army crosses the border..things can get escalated quickly at the side of Pakistan. This can trigger uneven events.
This could be the reason why the international community is worried about quicker nuclear escalations in the event of a war.

They are using their costliest piece in the game to keep us Indians at bay..

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
That's not their real capital :lol:

Jatt.Hindustan

Tihar Jail
Banned
Because, if you follow the two-nation theory no muslim dominayed-mjaority area is India proper, it is Pakistan.

So is the border on LOC, or 100kms away in Hp and Jammu near Amritsar?

It is common knowledge, we control up to ravi and they are in Jhelum.

4 500 km almost if not more..

Also, putting troops through mountains is not easy.

The turjs living in the mountains of potohar, were given Pakistan..

Of course they would put it in their culture core..

Otherwise other MUSLIM ethnic groups, like Baloch and Pathans can threaten them.

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
That's not their real capital :lol:
As if Rawalpindi is located far from Border !

Seems the terrain is good for defence, one of the reason why they chose the capital there. 8 of their 11 corps are located in Punjab.

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
There are plenty of natural barriers (terrain) between Islamabad and Indian border, which makes mechanised ground warfare close to impossible. At 80 km from LoC, we can't shell Islamabad. That's what makes the stretch of PoK south of Muzaffarabad valuable real-estate for Pakistan. If there's ever a serious military effort from India to recover PoK, it will be focused on that stretch.

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
At the time of independence Karachi was their capital. Because of the excessive Muhajir settlements in Karachi and military wanting control over political leadership caused the moving of capital to Islamabad.

In my opinion above all Baki army has always assumed that india-pak issue resolution is always one war away from closure. However this thinking has no value today. This thought process applied only till early 90's at best. There is too much disparity among both forces today and thankfully they realise this as of now.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Pakistan lacks depth. From our border to the Durand is hardly 400kms. Besides we don't intend to mount an invasion but with modern missiles, every city in Pak is within short range missiles. Hell we have a 100km glide bomb. Which means we can bomb them from aircrafts within out territory

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
i suggest locking the thread ! :thumb:

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Even pakistan's major industrial belt are lying very close to IB .Why dont they develop western pakistan?

Illusive

Country flag
Even pakistan's major industrial belt are lying very close to IB .Why dont they develop western pakistan?
Pakistan = Punjab, to some extent sindh, the rest they dont care, no wonder there are rebellious.[SCRIBD][/SCRIBD]

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I fact they missed the chance recently to do what you state, they are moving their China-pak silk route from their west (passing thru KP, Balochistan) to the east passing by Punjab and Sindh.

With this change I don't think their west will ever develop as much as their east.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
I fact they missed the chance recently to do what you state, they are moving their China-pak silk route from their west (passing thru KP, Balochistan) to the east passing by Punjab and Sindh.

With this change I don't think their west will ever develop as much as their east.
Yeah , I agree with you. But one should balance their development.Like we did Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata and other cities.Other wise they have to face situation like our state faced.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Yeah , I agree with you. But one should balance their development.Like we did Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata and other cities.Other wise they have to face situation like our state faced.
I have been keeping an eye on Baki internal politics since the past six months, initially to form a opinion for myself on whether india-pak issue will ever get resolved. Answer for which is never as things stand today.

Now to answer your question, similar to the move to national capital from karachi to islamabad. i have realised that most of their national and strategic decisions are knee jerk reactions either by political elite or military elite. Motivation is always political or military. Never have i found initiatives which have been led by academic or scientific elites considered as a solution. only one notable scientific initiative which they have implemented is of A.Q Khan and that is it. As the atmosphere stands today which is unlikely to happen over there.

Sambha ka Boss

Because 60% Population of Pakistan live in Punjab, Western part is thinly populated Balochistan and moreover, since their independence they have neglected Balochistan and their natural resources were looted for Punjab province.

mayfair

Even pakistan's major industrial belt are lying very close to IB
Pakistan HAS an industrial belt???

Why dont they develop western pakistan?
Pakistan is not called Pakjab for nothing. It's all that matters there. The jernails (even the pashtun and baloch ones) have all their holdings in Pakjab (or London, Canada, US and Australia etc), North and Central Punjab to be precise. In the Pakjabi perception, Pakhtun are jaahil, pig-headed cannon fodder, Baloch are nomadic, primitive neanderthals and Sindhi and Muhajir are kanjar, effeminate and SDRE, so why bother with development?

Pakjabis have taken Jack Sparrow to heart- Take, beg, borrow or steal whatever you can, give nothing back.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles