The anti-India pincer strategy: Here's why Pakistan and China are

Srinivas_K

Country flag
The anti-India pincer strategy: Here's why Pakistan and China are raising the stakes on the border

Indian Air Force (IAF) chief Arup Saha put his finger on the spot when he said at an on-record press conference on Saturday that he found it a "mystery" that the Chinese incursion into Ladakh coincided with the visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping to India (17-19 September).
"It's been always a mystery the way incursions take place and the way they get timed with various visits"¦ It's nothing new; it remains a mystery for all of us"¦ You all know that in diplomacy a lot of signaling is done, especially so with our northern neighbour. It could be part of some signaling to my mind. But I am not going to guess what it really means," Raha told journalists ahead of IAF's 82nd anniversary celebrations on 8 October.
What the Air Chief said was a confirmation and corroboration of what this writer had written here on 27 September. A quote from my above-mentioned article would be in order here:
Actually, a new disturbing trend is visible of late. Incursions have become an unannounced tenet of China's India policy just as infiltration has been for Pakistan for decades. Future events will have to be watched closely to determine whether there is any truth in this supposed trend which may be described as I-2 pincer diplomacy of China and Pakistan with respect to India – the 'I' meaning Incursions for China and Infiltration for Pakistan.
This is going to be the biggest security and strategic challenge for the Narendra Modi government in the near future – the I-2 pincer diplomacy of China and Pakistan where India's two known bug bears act against it, working in tandem. Now considering that the past often foretells the future, let us see how the recent past is foretelling the future.
Representational image. AFPRepresentational image. AFP
Once again, you have guns booming on the Line of Control (LoC) as Pakistani troops are wantonly and brazenly provoking the Indian soldiers. It is an open secret that Pakistani troops open unprovoked fire at the LoC and the International Border to give cover to its jihadi foot soldiers as they infiltrate into India.
Then you have a statement from Pervez Musharraf, the former President and army chief of Pakistan who was also the chief architect of the Kargil War of 1999, wherein he was quoted as saying on Sunday that India should not test Pakistan army's patience. General Musharraf blamed the Indians for ratcheting up tensions along the LoC.
Now that Pakistan is once again making the LoC a livewire, does it mean that another Chinese incursion is in the offing?
Well, this may well be the case. This is precisely what this writer had said while warning about China and Pakistan working against Indian strategic interests in tandem by way of I-2 pincer diplomacy – 'I' standing for Incursions for China and for Infiltration for Pakistan.
Let us read the Chinese tea leaves and extend the logic further.
That China and Pakistan are all-weather allies who describe their bilateral relationship as higher than mountains, deeper than oceans, sweeter than honey is well known. But perhaps what has not been adequately focused, from the Indian point of view, is a steady build up in their military-oriented bilateral ties.
This is India's worst national security nightmare: having to deal with two external enemies in a war situation simultaneously. Also China and Pakistan have already laid a firm framework towards this end. It has been several years since China has already taken sides in the India-Pakistan dispute, evident from the Chinese policy of issuing staples visas to Indians domiciles in Jammu and Kashmir (and Arunachal Pradesh) while Beijing issues regular visas to residents of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK).
China has been maintaining over twenty thousand troops in PoK for years in the guise of construction workers. Repeated protests from India to China on both these counts have produced zilch from the diplomatic perspective. This makes it clear that China has some long-term strategic designs and the Chinese periodically turn the heat on the Indians. Thus far, it appeared as if it pertains to the unresolved Sino-Indian border dispute and Pakistan was nowhere in the frame.
But the Chinese actions since last year (incursions just before Chinese Premier Li Keqiang in May 2013 and incursions coinciding with Xi Jinping's India visit in September 2014) and the inexplicable aggressive posture of the Pakistan Army in brazen violations of ceasefire since Modi government took over point to more sinister things.
The Modi government will have to find out whether China and Pakistan are working in tandem against New Delhi. This is a valid question, one which is bound to have a huge impact on Indian national security in the near future. Now that Pakistan has livened up the LoC yet again, it will be important to see if Beijing too chips in to rock India's boat. Or in other words, India will have to wait and watch to see if yet another Chinese incursion is in the works!
The writer is Firstpost Consulting Editor and a strategic analyst who tweets @Kishkindha.

The anti-India pincer strategy: Here's why Pakistan and China are raising the stakes on the border - Firstpost

Sylex21

If you believe there is some great plot against India from China + Pakistan alliance, than you might as well add other equally unlikely things into the equation like the USA and Japan etc... So if I wrote an article with the premise from above it would be something crazy like "China and Pakistani secret ploy to counter legion of American tanks disguised by repainting them with Indian flags, really driven by Japanese drivers."

Each nation pursues their own national interests, China and Pakistan are no more working in concert than the USA + Japan + India + Australia + Philippines + Vietnam + South Korea + England in some secret plot.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I wonder if China will rock the boat, for if it does, it will push India into the warm embrace of the US and then the pincer would bite China from the East and the West.

If push comes to shove, then the insurgencies in Tibet and Xinjiang could get a fillip and get to turning ugly and difficult for China to manage.

sgarg

Some people write alarmist articles like the above. I should say we take this with a pinch of salt.

First, India is no cakewalk for even a combined force from Pakistan and China. The fighting will be bloody and prolonged.

Second the attitude of Pakistan on the border is borne out of India's own policies rather than any special military strength of the neighbour. If India reacts strongly, the Pakistanis will be forced to change their attitude.

Third the people who control Pakistan are a very small minority. Pakistan is still feudal. A big military defeat is far more disastrous for Pakistan compared to India, as its centralizing force will disappear. A big war is far more risky for Pakistan than India.

Fourth, if the big war causes chaos in Pakistan (which is very likely), then China's Pakistan policy will be in tatters. China will be faced with massive costs of stabilizing Pakistan.

I find Chinese very shrewd people. They will use Pakistan in such a way that they cannot be hold responsible even if Pakistan falls. So Chinese will supply equipment but keep it low key.

hassan123

"Nothing is true, Everything is permitted" - Hasan ibn Sabbah.

"I applied my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also was a chasing after wind. For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increased knowledge, increased sorrow" - Book of Ecclesiastes (Book of the Teacher).

Global Defence

New threads

Articles