India asks U.S to Sell mine-resistant vehicles to be left behind in

Soumya1989

In a bid to avoid a Sukma like disaster — where 16 paramilitary security personnel were killed in a Maoist ambush in Chhattisgarh — the government has decided to approach Washington to purchase state-of-the-art mine resistant ambush protected (MRAP) vehicles, which the US forces will leave behind in Afghanistan after they pull-out of the country this year.

The spadework for the acquisition has already begun through the foreign military sales route with Pentagon inclined to sell "excess defence articles" to India rather than be captured by Taliban forces after the drawdown.

While South Block has asked its officials to prepare for the specifications of the MRAPs, there are five categories of some 3,800 vehicles currently in Afghanistan. Called Cougar or Buffalo, these more than 14-tonne vehicles with V-shaped hulls, have minimised the US forces casualties in improvised explosive device blasts and ambush, both in Iraq and Afghanistan.

US has given some 20 such vehicles to Pakistan under the coalition support programme. The V-shaped hulls that can deflect blasts from more than 150 kg IEDs — routinely used by Indian Maoists — have a six-inch thick bullet-proof glass, can run on flat tires and have a maximum speed of up to 100 kmph.

"The Americans first offered the MRAPs to defence ministry some years ago without avail. This time the request has come from home ministry as these vehicles will help in transportation of troops as well as improve patrolling on the main highways in south Chhattisgarh," said a senior ministry of external affairs official.

Although the casualties in the Tongpal ambush were partly due to violation of standard operating procedures by the security forces and in spite of actionable intelligence, it was decided at a high-level meeting chaired by Union home minister Sushilkumar Shinde that troopers needed extra protection with Maoists using planned attacks and area weapons. It was then that the MEA was alerted to approach Pentagon for sale of MRAPs under the bilateral Homeland Security programme.

Defence News - India asks U.S to Sell mine-resistant vehicles to be left behind in Afghanistan

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Re: India asks U.S to Sell mine-resistant vehicles to be left behind i

@p2prada @ghost

Have an Idea..!!

Instead of Buying those MRAP's Shall we use the Same Caspir Based Indian APC's ..I think Both have same Similarities

Before Sending the APC we use Some small UAV's to Scan the area to continue the Travel

So we Need Only small Recon UAV's

Last edited by a moderator:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

In a bid to avoid a Sukma like disaster — where 16 paramilitary security personnel were killed in a Maoist ambush in Chhattisgarh — the government has decided to approach Washington to purchase state-of-the-art mine resistant ambush protected (MRAP) vehicles, which the US forces will leave behind in Afghanistan after they pull-out of the country this year.

The spadework for the acquisition has already begun through the foreign military sales route with Pentagon inclined to sell "excess defence articles" to India rather than be captured by Taliban forces after the drawdown.

While South Block has asked its officials to prepare for the specifications of the MRAPs, there are five categories of some 3,800 vehicles currently in Afghanistan. Called Cougar or Buffalo, these more than 14-tonne vehicles with V-shaped hulls, have minimised the US forces casualties in improvised explosive device blasts and ambush, both in Iraq and Afghanistan.

US has given some 20 such vehicles to Pakistan under the coalition support programme. The V-shaped hulls that can deflect blasts from more than 150 kg IEDs — routinely used by Indian Maoists — have a six-inch thick bullet-proof glass, can run on flat tires and have a maximum speed of up to 100 kmph.

"The Americans first offered the MRAPs to defence ministry some years ago without avail. This time the request has come from home ministry as these vehicles will help in transportation of troops as well as improve patrolling on the main highways in south Chhattisgarh," said a senior ministry of external affairs official.

Although the casualties in the Tongpal ambush were partly due to violation of standard operating procedures by the security forces and in spite of actionable intelligence, it was decided at a high-level meeting chaired by Union home minister Sushilkumar Shinde that troopers needed extra protection with Maoists using planned attacks and area weapons. It was then that the MEA was alerted to approach Pentagon for sale of MRAPs under the bilateral Homeland Security programme.

Defence News - India asks U.S to Sell mine-resistant vehicles to be left behind in Afghanistan
So Shinde has eye on a new scam???

acetophenol

Country flag

Whats wrong with our MPVs? Sometime back a police officer commented that a reason for the casualities is that,our men usually don't strap themselves while riding the MPV.

Blackwater

Whats wrong with our MPVs? Sometime back a police officer commented that a reason for the casualities is that,our men usually don't strap themselves while riding the MPV.
USA ones are heavy duty can stand upto 150 kg IED blast, The V-shaped hulls that can deflect blasts from more than 150 kg IEDs — routinely used by Indian Maoists — have a six-inch thick bullet-proof glass, can run on flat tires and have a maximum speed of up to 100 kmph.

can indian one do that??

2ndly if we don't go for those MPV''s,those will be given to pakistan free free free free.

choice is urs

p2prada

The MRAPS may come cheaper since there are so many available.

DivineHeretic

Country flag

This deal, if it occurs, allows us to rapidly build up a large number of MPV's for counter-insurgency operations. This is the primary reason for the rationale behind this deal. However, there is also another element that might be at play here.

The Indian army has some 1700 APCs, organised into primarily into 4 mechanized infantry divisions (or RAPIDS). These 1700 APC's, with 7 troops mean around 12,000 troops can move along with the 3 Armored divisions, a necessity for rapid thrusts. Armor cannot operate without highly mobile, well protected supporting infantry columns moving into assault.

If India does buy some 2000 MRAPs, that would be enough to raise another 4-5 motorized divisions, should the need arise. And this would be done without any country accusing us of a rapid buildup.

Add RCWS, HMG mounts and/or AT launchers and we will have doubled our motorized division strengths. This is even more interesting given the fact that with 400-500 tanks in an armored regiment, we have committed only some 1200-1500 tanks into dedicated armored divisions, leaving at least the option of forming another 2 armored divisions to boost strike power when required.

Just a few random thoughts of mine glued together, so forgive the lack of a unified theme in all the paragraphs

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

The MRAPS may come cheaper since there are so many available.
They are writer going to give for free or scrap it. Strike a cheap bargain, get via Iran

ladder

Country flag

USA ones are heavy duty can stand upto 150 kg IED blast, The V-shaped hulls that can deflect blasts from more than 150 kg IEDs — routinely used by Indian Maoists — have a six-inch thick bullet-proof glass, can run on flat tires and have a maximum speed of up to 100 kmph.

can indian one do that??

2ndly if we don't go for those MPV''s,those will be given to pakistan free free free free.

choice is urs
Do you really feel those MRAP can withstand 150 Kg explosive? Seems that you haven't seen the depth of crater that 50 Kg of explosive ( Ammonium Nitrate grade) created in Bihar/Jharkhand/Chattisgarh.

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag

This deal, if it occurs, allows us to rapidly build up a large number of MPV's for counter-insurgency operations. This is the primary reason for the rationale behind this deal. However, there is also another element that might be at play here.

The Indian army has some 1700 APCs, organised into primarily into 4 mechanized infantry divisions (or RAPIDS). These 1700 APC's, with 7 troops mean around 12,000 troops can move along with the 3 Armored divisions, a necessity for rapid thrusts. Armor cannot operate without highly mobile, well protected supporting infantry columns moving into assault.

If India does buy some 2000 MRAPs, that would be enough to raise another 4-5 motorized divisions, should the need arise. And this would be done without any country accusing us of a rapid buildup.

Add RCWS, HMG mounts and/or AT launchers and we will have doubled our motorized division strengths. This is even more interesting given the fact that with 400-500 tanks in an armored regiment, we have committed only some 1200-1500 tanks into dedicated armored divisions, leaving at least the option of forming another 2 armored divisions to boost strike power when required.

Just a few random thoughts of mine glued together, so forgive the lack of a unified theme in all the paragraphs
If those MRAP come to India, then they probably would come with a raider that it can't be used against Pakistan. This check will be there to pacify our western neighbor.

The article itself hints at that ;)

Blackwater

Do you really feel those MRAP can withstand 150 Kg explosive? Seems that you haven't seen the depth of crater that 50 Kg of explosive ( Ammonium Nitrate grade) created in Bihar/Jharkhand/Chattisgarh.
all i know american MRAP must be better than desi ones.

if we get those in cheap rates y not

Jagdish58

When did we became pakistan:tsk:

acetophenol

Country flag

can indian one do that??

choice is urs

Can you provide a link that states the American MRAP can withstand 150kg blast?Its hard to believe.

OFB one's can handle 14 kgs under their tyres,10 under hull.
Ordnance Factory Board
The TATA one's also offers a similiar level of protection.

Run flat tyres are available optionally.

Buying these vehicles means,paying for their spare parts,which will be a pain in the arse in future.Don't forget that these are used vehicles.

ladder

Country flag

all i know american MRAP must be better than desi ones.

if we get those in cheap rates y not
May be, may be not but they way the author has projected that those MRAP are solution to Sukhma incident, which it is clearly not.

Also, I am talking about facts.

The whole purpose is what shall be the life cycle costs, and the life left in them.

Also, the issue I raised in my previous posts.

Immanuel

Country flag

I think 150kg is a bit over the top, however this purchase should be done for sure, we can buy the whole lot and everything thing else they got for a rather low price, they are heavy duty MRAPs and they will be very useful for both internal and external security.

EXPERT

the idea is cool , but that does not ensures the safety of our personel . . . Because our men think that they are the Dabbang , even if u give em a TANK , still they will not use it properly . .. .
They do not leave a single chance to show themselves as a hero . . .

p2prada

They are writer going to give for free or scrap it. Strike a cheap bargain, get via Iran
Good if it comes that cheap.

Yes, it can withstand such IEDs.

ladder

Country flag

Good if it comes that cheap.

Yes, it can withstand such IEDs.
Then Maoists will use 200Kg mine.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles