US offers help for next generation aircraft carrier

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
won't the russians and probably israelis and french be pissed at this increased defence cooperations, which might affect them ?
No!!! This will make Russians and the Israelis to work hard and be more competitive against American companies in defense co-operation with India. There are some officers and bureaucrats in India's defense ministry who are concerned of US military sanctions in the future. Whereas Russians and the Israelis would always stand beside India in case of future conflicts.

After 1998 Pokhran nuclear tests, France and Russia refrained from condemning India.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
All such news should be seen against the backdrop of PM visiting USA with all the Nuclear liability clauses diluted for them. Americans are just trying to make things easy for PM back home. After few months, back to secure one with technology denial regime throwing excuses at us.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Americans can never be trusted.
they installed bugs in tuAF f-16.turkey is a nato member and lapdog of usa and still US installed those bugs.

i'll rather have a obsolete weapon which works when in need then to have an advance weapon which won't work when needed :gangnam:
or how paki radars were shut down during operation osama

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Last edited:

jmj_overlord

still i guess Russia will always remain a steadfast friend of India whether the defense co operations increase or decrease.....

W.G.Ewald

Professional
It is to our advantage. We need to learn to play them against each other.
Posts on this general subject of defense cooperation with other countries vary a lot. Some are insightful, some wishful thinking, many are based on xenophobia, particularly anti-Yank sentiment. The articles in the Indian press reporting on the issue is inadequate, in my opinion.
What I would like to find are sources which reveal the policies and intentions of the Indian government.

Reactions: sob

t_co

Posts on this general subject of defense cooperation with other countries vary a lot. Some are insightful, some wishful thinking, many are based on xenophobia, particularly anti-Yank sentiment. The articles in the Indian press reporting on the issue is inadequate, in my opinion.
What I would like to find are sources which reveal the policies and intentions of the Indian government.
You could always try the tellers at the Standard Chartered nearest South Block - get them drunk and ask them which corporate logos dominated the most recent batch of checks they had to process

W.G.Ewald

Professional
India-US Defense Relations

Under the New Framework, India and USA agreed to:
a) Conduct joint and combined exercises and exchanges;
b) Collaborate in multinational operations if it is in common interest;
c) Strengthen capabilities of militaries to promote security and defeat terrorism;
d) Promote regional and global peace and stability;
e) Enhance capabilities to combat the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction;
f) Increase opportunities for technology transfer, collaboration, co-production, and research and development;
g) Expand collaboration relating to missile defence;
h) Strengthen abilities of the Armed Forces to respond quickly to disasters, including in combined operations;
i) Conduct successful peacekeeping operations;
j) Conduct and increase exchanges of intelligence.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
still i guess Russia will always remain a steadfast friend of India whether the defense co operations increase or decrease.....

A Cold War hang-over, there should be no "friend" or "foe" in international relations. Only "national interests."

sob

Mod
Country flag
You could always try the tellers at the Standard Chartered nearest South Block - get them drunk and ask them which corporate logos dominated the most recent batch of checks they had to process
Why not the nearest HSBC branch?

By the way the main Standard Chartered Branch is in Parliament Street, just about 1.5 KM from the Indian Parliament.

t_co

A Cold War hang-over, there should be no "friend" or "foe" in international relations. Only "national interests."
Even if you're only going by national interests, Russia and India fit together pretty well. No land borders, a common interest in Eurasian stability - especially Central Asia - common cause against Islamic fundamentalism, clear geo-political and geo-economic reasons to oppose a unipolar global order, developing nations seeking shelter from the IP- and free-trade agendas of Western trade lobbies, etc

The only thing that India and Russia would disagree on is the price of energy - Russia wants it high, India wants it low.

t_co

Why not the nearest HSBC branch?

By the way the main Standard Chartered Branch is in Parliament Street, just about 1.5 KM from the Indian Parliament.
lol, that works too

why can't India have a coherent, long-term, and action-driven foreign policy? China gets frustrated with it because China wants to do business with India, while all India does is dither on this and dither on that. Heck, China is so annoyed it's resorted to poking India with a stick to see if there is any reaction...

jmj_overlord

many warships have been buit and bought from russia right ? Won't the US help offend russians?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Even if you're only going by national interests, Russia and India fit together pretty well. No land borders, a common interest in Eurasian stability - especially Central Asia - common cause against Islamic fundamentalism, clear geo-political and geo-economic reasons to oppose a unipolar global order, developing nations seeking shelter from the IP- and free-trade agendas of Western trade lobbies, etc
But still not "friends," although I doubt if it is really in India's interest to constantly annoy the US in lockstep with Putin...

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
These have to be pretty interesting times. Is it that the hard work put in by diplomats, and various other interest groups is paying off at last?

Rather than getting suspicious about the intentions, I would like to go with the explanation of joint effort put in by various people/groups, diplomats on both sides, on having pushed India as a key ally, I forget the exact terminology. Which means, now the pentagon instead of debating why some technology can't be given to India, debates why certain technology is not being given to India, when it should be, from a situation where the answer would more likely than not be a no, they have shifted to saying a yes in most cases.

The reason for all this seems to be China, but then why complain, today the pull in relations between Japan, Australia, most of south-east Asia with India are primarily happening for the same reason. Important is not to get either floored or suspicious, think like a true businessman, extract the most with national interests paramount.

Don't look at all these happenings in isolation either, the US' interests are again being pushed on the civil nuke deal. These happen to be last few days of the Congress, and God forbid, but if we were to have a 3rd front, that would mean another government in coma possibly much worse, so have the best before the worst hits.

Lastly, look at this holistically. The impact this would have on competing countries, and the proposals they will be forced to consider to make, this will all round have a very positive impact.

Anyways, the thing I am most interested in is which all high grouping doors are being opened for India, and are we being allowed an entry or not, at least for now, no, but it is here that I want to see the real action happen.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This offer by the US represents a huge jump in relationship between the two countries. By offering support for next gen carriers of India, the US is in essence endorsing a dominant role for Indian Navy in the critical Indian Ocean Region, a position the US holds right now.

India has to come out of its old don't trust the US attitude and reciprocate in a constructive & positive manner.

I hope this offer is taken.

s002wjh

Country flag
The United States has offered to develop the next generation aircraft carrier technology with India, visiting deputy secretary of defence Ashton Carter said Wednesday.
The technology on offer, Electro Magnetic Aircraft Launch System, will be a quantum leap for the Indian Navy that currently relies on the Russian ski-launch technology.

Both Indian carriers, INS Vikramaditya, coming in November, and INS Vikrant, being built in Kochi, can ski-launch only light fighter aircraft. But EMALS would make it possible to launch heavy aircraft, including early warning systems, refuellers and transporters, from future ships. India has yet to freeze the design of the second indigenous carrier it plans to build after Vikrant.

Carter said the US is keen to develop and co-produce defence equipment with India on the lines of Brahmos, a missile developed jointly by India and Russia and which is on offer for export to a third country. One such technology that can be shared under the Defence Technology Initiative is EMALS, Carter said. "The US is developing and fielding that system and is offering the technology to India which has an aircraft carrier and is considering making more," he said.

Also on offer for joint development is the next generation anti-tank guided missile, Carter said.

The Javelin system has been on offer to India for years but it never managed to make the cut due to restrictions imposed by US law on transfer of technology, a critical factor guiding most of India's new defence acquisitions. But Carter said work has been done to amend bureaucratic processes and new version of this system can be jointly developed.

He emphasised that the US wishes to replicate, in part, the Russian model of cooperation with India. "That is exactly the same kind of thing where two industry teams are involved in the whole product life cycle; where the product is both co-produced and developed."

He dismissed concerns that such collaboration can be hampered due to India's refusal to sign the so called frameworks agreements.

US offers help for next generation aircraft carrier - Indian Express
unless its coming from US media, ill take this as grain of salt. US will just hand over the top tech(emag) to india, not even an ally, i doubt it.

shafiq alam

Country flag
I would not be so exited with this news US has this habit of backstabbing countries outside WEST whom they call friend when their interest have been served...we shouldnt start celebrating as we know they still supply Pakistan with military aid and weapons in the name of fight against terrorism while we all know weapons like Sidewinder missiles will never be used against Terrorist but will be zeroed on our fighters in a conflict

W.G.Ewald

Professional
unless its coming from US media, ill take this as grain of salt. US will just hand over the top tech(emag) to india, not even an ally, i doubt it.
Interesting that this story does not appear in US media.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles