Why is China allied with Pakistan?

t_co

Two of the most popular misconceptions among Indian defense planners are that a) China is allied with Pakistan in order to contain India and b) China needs a proxy in Pakistan to advance her interests in the region. On the contrary, India does feel a strategic threat from Chinese control over the so-called "Tibetan balcony", but one which is not intentional at all from the PRC standpoint.

China has no need to contain India, as India poses no strategic threat to China. Most major Chinese industrial and population centers, after all, are thousands of kms away from the Sino-Indian border and also separated by the Tibetan plateau. Any attempt by India to wrest the "Tibetan balcony" from Chinese control would likewise be difficult, as, in wartime, the Indians would be pushing some of the steepest mountains in the world against an entrenched enemy, and in peacetime, long-term demographics on the Tibetan plateau favor continued integration of the region into China proper. Hence, the plateau is secure, and ergo, any threat by India on the Chinese core is for all intents and purposes zero.

Nor does China needs Pakistan to do anything to advance Chinese interests--all China needs from Pakistan is to make room for a pipeline. China's interests in South Asia are limited to open sea lanes in the Indian Ocean, necessary to preserve energy imports from the Persian Gulf; China would like a pipeline to run from Gwadar to the Sino-Pakistani border. That's it--but, again, it's not essential, as China can simply link a pipeline from Iran to friendly client states in Central Asia (who already have their pipelines linked to China via Xinjiang).

Hence, notions of a strategic rivalry between the two powers puzzle most Beijing planners, as to them, India is not a threat, and never will be one. Chinese command of the Tibetan "balcony" gives it the ability to use conventional precision strikes that disable large quantities of India's military and civilian infrastructure without giving India the ability to hit back absent nuclear weapons. China's energy deals in Central Asia make Indian interdiction in the Indian Ocean pointless. Ergo China doesn't need Pakistan, necessarily, to get what it wants in South Asia.

So what does it retain Pakistan for?

The simple answer is that Pakistan is China's window on the Muslim world. Much like Saudi Arabia is America's window, and Syria is Russia's window, Pakistan is there to serve as a conduit for Chinese influence into the Middle East and North Africa. And that's it.

It is precisely because China demands so little of Pakistan that China can be seen as Pakistan's "all-weather" friend. China can afford to be Pakistan's friend because there are no strings attached to the relationship.

Unfortunately, Indian planners still assume China needs Pakistan due to its South Asian ambitions.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
You sound like a typical commie bluffer.

Before ranting more and throwing your stupid theories you should better learn the history of India-Russia defence pacts and insecurity of Chinese trembling in fear of being nuked by Russians.

And Pakistan will even side with devil (Islamic) to fight against India. China fits well in that equation for Pakistan.

JAISWAL

i don't under Stand what these chines bluffers were trying to proof here,
India is not Your Country men whom you can fool by BASELESS propaganda...

t_co

You sound like a typical commie bluffer.

Before ranting more and throwing your stupid theories you should better learn the history of India-Russia defence pacts and insecurity of Chinese trembling in fear of being nuked by Russians.

And Pakistan will even side with devil (Islamic) to fight against India. China fits well in that equation for Pakistan.
Sure, India may have threatened China in the past via the Indo-Russian pact, but with Russia now playing a much more neutral role between China and India, what other threat does India pose to China?

t_co

i don't under Stand what these chines bluffers were trying to proof here,
India is not Your Country men whom you can fool by BASELESS propaganda...
Just showing that India poses no threat to China. Why does that bother you?

hit&run

Mod
Sure, India may have threatened China in the past via the Indo-Russian pact, but with Russia now playing a much more neutral role between China and India, what other threat does India pose to China?
Go first read that history I pointed out before twisting things on its head. Commie troll.

JAISWAL

Just showing that India poses no threat to China. Why does that bother you?
it doesnt bother me an inch but its very bothering to see chines also following the Paki -Line -of -sight.
the sight of Denial ...
and its Shocking to see...
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

t_co

it doesnt bother me an inch but its very bothering to see chines also following the Paki -Line -of -sight.
the sight of Denial ...
and its Shocking to see...
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
How is this denial?

hit&run

Mod
Let's not be so aggressive with the Chinese guy. Just IMHO. He hasn't really trolled yet...
Either you are naive or do not know the effort of these commie propagandist negating their support of Pakistan's military build up.

A commie must be nipped in the bud than feeding his propaganda.

Regards.

hit&run

Mod
I have. And based on that history, it wasn't the Indian half of the Indo-Soviet pact that bothered China.
India didn't gave half a squat about what China was doing and pin pricking Russian bear, who was capable to send China into oblivion not once but many a times.

t_co

India didn't gave half a squat about what China was doing and pin pricking Russian bear, who was capable to send China into oblivion not once but many a times.
What does that have to do with China not being worried about what India is doing today?

t_co

Either you are naive or do not know the effort of these commie propagandist negating their support of Pakistan's military build up.

A commie must be nipped in the bud than feeding his propaganda.

Regards.
How have I denied Chinese military support of Pakistan? I've merely said that it's not aimed at India.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
How have I denied Chinese military support of Pakistan? I've merely said that it's not aimed at India.
It doesn't really matter, does it? At the end of the day, any military hardware or training provided to the Pakis will be solely aimed at India. You need to understand that the Pakis define themselves and their existence as "opposed to India". India is an eternal nation, has been in existence for thousands of years. Pakis carved themselves out of India on the premise that they are "not India" - that is the basis for the existence of their state.

It is unforgivable that China has supplied Pakis nuke tech. No matter what the "aim" is, the fact is that you are propping up a terrorist entity. Reduction of hostility between India and China is entirely contingent upon withdrawal of Chinese support to that rogue state.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Pakistan want china's support,weapons etc

China wants access to arabian sea(gwadar)

nothing more than this.

hit&run

Mod
What does that have to do with China not being worried about what India is doing today?
Go read the history and come back, read the time lines you and your Pakistani friends conveniently do not mention. I am not interested in spoon feed you so that you can nitpick and twist the facts.
On your above question again your supervisor has given you another twisting query to be asked on Indian forum, tell us what India is doing against China today, point by point.

JAISWAL

How is this denial?
basically you are ignoring many basic facts in your assumption ....
and my advice to you is, first- clear all your doubts regarding Indian Capabilities mentioned in this very forum,
and many other Indian defence forums across Internet, read the Indian Perspective and Understand it, then come here to discuss

hit&run

Mod
Pakistan want china's support,weapons etc

China wants access to arabian sea(gwadar)

nothing more than this.
You Pakistanis can not even sell the right thing to any one (I mean when you guys debate). No one need your Garbage port and warm swamp water of Arabian sea, the oil shipping to China is more Cheaper on boats than it will be on some fictional road and train rout from your ports.

Chinese have been selling you cheap weapons and nukes since ages ago and your port is still not ready to accommodate the fictional story of 'Pakistan's warm water of Arabia'; nor for China neither for CAR and Russia.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles