Military dead against permanent commission for women across the board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy

Country flag
Military dead against permanent commission for women across the board

Nov 7, 2011

NEW DELHI: At a time when the US is now allowing women to serve on board submarines and countries like Australia are dismantling all gender barriers to allow female troops to serve on the frontlines, India remains extremely reluctant to even give them permanent jobs in the military.
Induction of women officers into the overwhelmingly male-dominated environs of the armed forces, incidentally, has also remained largely stagnant. If Army and IAF had 1,072 and 957 women officers in 2008, the numbers have actually dipped to 1,055 and 936 this year.

Navy has recorded a slight jump, increasing from 173 in 2008 to 232 in 2011. In effect, women constitute just 3% to 8% of the total officer cadre, and they are not allowed to serve in the ranks below officer level in the 13-lakh strong armed forces.

JayATL

but every other bollywood movie shows how much the " the mother" is respected supposedly. basically the militray is saying you mothers, sisters, wifes are too stupid to be included....

or worse yet- they are calling indian men " Jalil" that won't respect women and hence they are concerned...

go figure.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
but every other bollywood movie shows how much the " the mother" is respected supposedly. basically the militray is saying you mothers, sisters, wifes are too stupid to be included....

or worse yet- they are calling indian men " Jalil" that won't respect women and hence they are concerned...

go figure.
and when they are captured by enemy soldiers then mighty jayatl will swoop down from the heavens and create a thread to ask usa to rescue them.

keeping aside that female soldiers asked the army to build separate toilets/bathrooms for them and separate rooms to sleep in...now tell me holier than thou atljay what should be done ?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

go figure.
Look here wannabe Yankee,

The world over, armed forces remain a male bastion. It is always "fighting men" whom we speak of, that is how even vocabulary has developed. Fighting is considered a predominantly male pursuit everywhere in the world. Even in your US of A, the tall fair tight-assed close-shaved men whom you ogle at every morning, are in a majority - the number of ladies in the forces hardly comes anywhere close.

There is nothing to do with "India considers women stupid" or "Indian men are Jalil".

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The Indian military should look closely at the US military experience. USN ships return from sea duty every time with pregnant sailors.

In the US Army I have seen female soldiers unwilling to perform required tasks (e.g., weapon disassemby and assembly, digging a fighting position) because they don't want to break a nail. A female officer in the field could not use camouflage paint on her skin because it was too sensitive. The famous case of the the first female at The Citadel who finally dropped out. On and on, and always the business of (oops!) pregnancy to avoid deployment.

Even the "family-friendly" policy of the US military is questionable. During my active service we heard, "If the Army thinks you need a wife, it will issue you one.":lol:

Param

The Indian military should look closely at the US military experience. USN ships return from sea duty every time with pregnant sailors.

In the US Army I have seen female soldiers unwilling to perform required tasks (e.g., weapon disassemby and assembly, digging a fighting position) because they don't want to break a nail. A female officer in the field could not use camouflage paint on her skin because it was too sensitive. The famous case of the the first female at The Citadel who finally dropped out. On and on, and always the business of (oops!) pregnancy to avoid deployment.

Even the "family-friendly" policy of the US military is questionable. During my active service we heard, "If the Army thinks you need a wife, it will issue you one.":lol:
Aren't there any Kitchens in the military?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Aren't there any Kitchens in the military?
I did KP when I first went into the Army, when it still had Mess Halls. Now they have Dining Facilities, often staffed by civilians.

I know what you mean by your question, though. And you are asking for trouble :)

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
^^ Don't worry, DFI has no female members. You can be as sexist as you wish, with no fear of retribution. :namaste:

KS

Bye bye DFI
I am also against women in the frontline.

JayATL

What we are seeing is that sexist trait that exists in most countries but acutely exemplified in 3rd world countries. Somehow women in the military quantify that "male bastion" "fighting men" club would be in jeopardy"¦

They used to have these "concerns" with another group called minorities and till recently "the gays".

Women are a part of fighting missions in the world's finest military the US of A and in European militaries. it really peaks to " narrow minded and backward mentality" that still exists among the indian posters above ...

it's funny that most of the gods they pray too are female warriors...

One would be baffled how a " volunteer army " would put a poor " girl" in harms way.. lol ( after all it would say they have no training standards)

Isreali women fight on the front lines

Tammy duckworth- now in obama's adminstration- both legs blow up , Iraq war Vet

Duckworth is an Iraq War veteran and former U.S. Army helicopter pilot whose severe combat wounds cost her both of her legs and damaged her right arm. She continues to serve as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Illinois Army National Guard along with her husband, Major Bryan W. Bowlsbey, a signal officer and fellow Iraq War veteran.[5]

My wife is an ex- marine, w/ the special intelligence group- who was attached to embassies in eastern bloc sector countries during the cold war. Without elborating on what her mission(s) were-- can't get any more frontline and risky short of flying into a war zone as Capt. Duckworth and hundreds and hundreds of female officers do in the frontlines of today's war.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
What we are seeing is that sexist trait that exists in most countries but acutely exemplified in 3rd world countries. Somehow women in the military quantify that "male bastion" "fighting men" club would be in jeopardy"¦ they used to have these "concerns" with another group called minorities and till recently "the gays".

Women are part of fighting missions in the world's finest military the US of A and in European militaries. it really peaks to " narrow minded and backward mentality" that still exists among the indian posters above ...

its funny that most of the gods they pray too are female warriors...

Tammy duckworth- now in obama's adminstration- both legs blow up , Iraq war Vet

Duckworth is an Iraq War veteran and former U.S. Army helicopter pilot whose severe combat wounds cost her both of her legs and damaged her right arm. She continues to serve as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Illinois Army National Guard along with her husband, Major Bryan W. Bowlsbey, a signal officer and fellow Iraq War veteran.[5]
No doubt LTC Duckworth's service is exemplary. Her example doesn't refute the problems with females in the US Army and other services as I outlined in my post. There is more than anecdotal evidence for those problems, but I will just say that the machinations of people in Congress, like Patsy Schroeder, have not served our country well.

The boundaries are being pushed, now with homosexuals, now with women in submarines. What is the point?

blueblood

Some wannabe liberals who are favoring women in combat duties or permanent commission fails to understand that Indian Army does not have huge logistics chain like US in order to provide "basic amenities" in the Himalayas neither it is a ceremonial European army with nearest thing to war is live fire exercise.

People think that Indian army is being sexist so just send any a woman to Siachin or even LOC and see for yourselves.

JayATL

No doubt LTC Duckworth's service is exemplary. Her example doesn't refute the problems with females in the US Army and other services as I outlined in my post. There is more than anecdotal evidence for those problems, but I will just say that the machinations of people in Congress, like Patsy Schroeder, have not served our country well.

The boundaries are being pushed, now with homosexuals, now with women in submarines. What is the point?
Your anecdotes are fantastic lies... " oh her finger nail would get busted". I in-fact have doubts you served based on those ridicluous anecdotes. It says the US military produces poor, ill trained soldiers. it's at best a one man's/ minority view account and despicable one that disrespects all whom sacrifice for ones country.

We used to hear anecdotes from folks like you about how " blacks were too Dumb to serve in the white man's army" ....

if your anecdotes were worth a penny - advanced militaries in the world , including the US/ europe would not have included " minorities", "women" " gays"...

JayATL

Some wannabe liberals who are favoring women in combat duties or permanent commission fails to understand that Indian Army does not have huge logistics chain like US in order to provide "basic amenities" in the Himalayas neither it is a ceremonial European army with nearest thing to war is live fire exercise.

People think that Indian army is being sexist so just send any a woman to Siachin or even LOC and see for yourselves.
i'm sorry. do the US send all their women to alaska? I never knew Siachin and LOC were the only postings ...and we are talking about frontlines of war -a policy

pmaitra

What we are seeing is that sexist trait that exists in most countries but acutely exemplified in 3rd world countries. Somehow women in the military quantify that "male bastion" "fighting men" club would be in jeopardy"¦

They used to have these "concerns" with another group called minorities and till recently "the gays".

Women are a part of fighting missions in the world's finest military the US of A and in European militaries. it really peaks to " narrow minded and backward mentality" that still exists among the indian posters above ...
Jay,

It is not true that 3rd world countries, or for that matter oriental societies necessarily try to put women down. Male chauvinism exists in all men, whether occidental or oriental.

Here is some news for you, from Germany, as a western and European country:
FLATOW: You know, what is it about our GPS in particular? I think we really take it out on it. And you've consulted with car companies on that. And I found interesting in you book, you start out in the front of your book talking about that German carmakers would not put a female voice into the GPS.
Dr. NASS: Well, even worse, BMW did in fact put a female voice in their GPS, and they actually had to have a product recall because German drivers would not take directions from a woman.
And what was particularly striking was, even after the helpdesk, when people were calling in angry, tried to explain that in fact it wasn't a real female in the car and in fact that all the people who had designed the GPS and the directions were male, nonetheless people were unfazed and insisted on changing the voice.

Read more: Studying Computers To Learn About Ourselves : NPR
Now some nice pictures from India:

BSF Female border guards at border with Pakistan:

Image from http://www.daylife.com available at :Photo from Getty Images - News, photos, topics, and quotes , Courtesy: Getty Images

Regards
Ancient file photos from Kargil:

Die Polizei, Jammu & Kashmir

BSF`s Female Soldiers and JCOs..

Go to the thread and you can see more: http://defenceforumindia.com/military-multimedia/1495-women-armed-forces.html

Last edited:

blueblood

^^^^^^ Listen mate, my cousin is a major in Artillery (about to be promoted to Lt. Col.) and his first posting was some outpost on LOC 3700m where he used to melt ice to wash his face and ass and listen to Pakistani radio and he wasn't even infantry.

My father's first posting was in some jungle/mountain in Nagaland with nearest civilians being 50 km away and for 18 months he read the only magazines he had to the extent that he memorized every damn word and he was also not infantry but Signals.

If you are confusing Indian Army with some fancy lifestyle as shown in Restrepo or Armadillo then I am sorry to burst your bubble. This what Field duty in Indian Army means. For Peace you go to places like Jhansi or Ambala.

But they are not frontline, are they?

PS: My aunt is a DSP in MP police so no I am not a male chauvnist pig.

pmaitra

^^^^^^ Listen mate, my cousin is a major in Artillery (about to be promoted to Lt. Col.) and his first posting was some outpost on LOC 3700m where he used to melt ice to wash his face and ass and listen to Pakistani radio and he wasn't even infantry.

My father's first posting was in some jungle/mountain in Nagaland with nearest civilians being 50 km away and for 18 months he read the only magazines he had to the extent that he memorized every damn word and he was also not infantry but Signals.

If you are confusing Indian Army with some fancy lifestyle as shown in Restrepo or Armadillo then I am sorry to burst your bubble. This what Field duty in Indian Army means. For Peace you go to places like Jhansi or Ambala.

But they are not frontline, are they?

PS: My aunt is a DSP in MP police so no I am not a male chauvnist pig.
Are you in the Indian Army? If not, then I'd rather learn what field duty is like from those who are in the Army.

What is the point of your post? My point was that women are already serving in different capacities in the police, BSF and Army. I am not sure why you had to come up with all the stuff about your family members. Just so that you know, I have two relatives, one in BSF who has served in J&K for little under 10 years and the other in the Indian Navy who works in a submarine, but mentioning them does not in any way help this thread, does it?

JayATL

Thats because of the population constraint and the overwhelming numbers on the Arab side.

Indians have no such problems.
are you a volunteer army? i.e. do people come and join on their account? .... by the extension of your logic( population constraint theory)- then you would have no issue if dalits were not allowed in the army . because Indian population is so big ... you don't need them.

In a volunteer army - the ONLY basis of not allowing anyone in any position is" qualifications" based- i.e training ( physical and academic) . If He/she pass it - then they get to protect the rest of you intellectual dwarfs...

Last edited:

blueblood

Are you in the Indian Army? If not, then I'd rather learn what field duty is like from those who are in the Army.

What is the point of your post? My point was that women are already serving in different capacities in the police, BSF and Army. I am not sure why you had to come up with all the stuff about your family members. Just so that you know, I have two relatives, one in BSF who has served in J&K for little under 10 years and the other in the Indian Navy who works in a submarine, but mentioning them does not in any way help this thread, does it?
No, I am not in the army.
My post wasn't directed at you but the Alaskan friend who think women are good for Indian frontline.

I was making the simple point that if you a woman and you like living at height where not a single blade of grass grows or somewhere in jungle where all you can see is grass and trees then be my guest.

It's good to know that your relatives are in the forces. My respect to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles