Hundreds of Chinese nationals trapped in north Myanmar

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Hundreds of Chinese nationals trapped in north Myanmar: report

Hundreds of Chinese citizens, including miners and jade traders, are among 2,000 civilians trapped by fighting between government troops and insurgents in northern Myanmar, China's state-backed Global Times reported on Monday.

The Chinese nationals and Myanmar civilians are trapped in the northern state of Kachin, which borders southern China, where the Myanmar military has been battling the rebel Kachin Independence Army (KIA) for years, the newspaper said.

It cited an unidentified intelligence official for a Myanmar rebel group, although the group also was not specified.

The Chinese nationals included jade dealers, gold miners and lumberjacks, the report said. There is an open pit mine in the Kachin town of Hpakant, the largest source of Myanmar jade.

The rebel intelligence official told the Global Times that those trapped have limited food and water and no medical supplies.

A Chinese consular official said the Foreign Ministry was in the process of confirming the report and that no Chinese nationals had requested assistance, according to a state television report.

Officials from ethnic armed groups told the Global Times they would allow the Chinese to go home "if conditions allow".

The report said Myanmar has beefed up its military presence at the Kambaiti Pass, which sits on the border with China, in a bid to curb illegal cross-border traffic.

That could cut off passage for Chinese nationals lacking documentation to return home, the Global Times said, quoting unidentified sources. It said some of them had gone into hiding in homes and forests in the area.

The area is renowned for the flourishing illegal jade trade, much of it smuggled over the border into China.

In Myanmar, peace talks between rebel groups and the semi-civilian government that took over in 2011 after nearly 50 years of military rule ended last September without agreement.

The KIA took up arms in 1961 and is the second-largest among approximately 20 ethnic armed groups in Myanmar.
Hundreds of Chinese nationals trapped in north Myanmar: report | Reuters
These are the hazards when one goes hunting for lucre in a conflict zone.

The traders have gone their willingly and knowing of the dangers.

While it is true that the Chinese Govt should extricate them, but then what can the Chinese Govt do when the Mayanmar Govt and the KIA are contesting the area and that area is actually under none's full control?

The same thing happens when Indians are trapped in conflict zones as in Iraq.

Whatever, it is a most unfortunate situation and the solutions are very difficult to achieve.

Redhawk

While it is true that the Chinese Govt should extricate them, but then what can the Chinese Govt do when the Mayanmar Govt and the KIA are contesting the area and that area is actually under none's full control?

Whatever, it is a most unfortunate situation and the solutions are very difficult to achieve.
The Chinese are engaged in illegal activities such as the illegal mining and smuggling of gemstones. They deserve what they get.

DingDong

Country flag
Wasn't the whole top leadership of KIA eliminated by the Indian intel few years ago? There is a legal case going on in the Supreme Court of India (extra-judicial killing).

The Chinese are engaged in illegal activities such as the illegal mining and smuggling of gemstones. They deserve what they get.
China has been sending it's workers everywhere, from Myanmar to Africa. These civilians are later left to fend for themselves by the irresponsible and unaccountable CCP.

Last edited:

Redhawk

...China has been sending it's workers everywhere, from Myanmar to Africa. These civilians are later left to fend for themselves by the irresponsible and unaccountable CCP.
The P.R.C. sends its workers to those countries to wants to colonise or control. Where there is a significant presence of P.R.C. nationals coupled with a weak and corrupt government helps give the C.C.P. influence in those countries.

Sambha ka Boss

This is an insurgency hit areas but anti-China feeling runs deep among Myanmarese people. Cities like Mandalay has already turned into a Chinese majority city. I also read some reports that China in the past have aided insurgent groups in Myanmar.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This is an insurgency hit areas but anti-China feeling runs deep among Myanmarese people. Cities like Mandalay has already turned into a Chinese majority city. I also read some reports that China in the past have aided insurgent groups in Myanmar.
Chinese morality is a huge question mark.

They will sup with the Devil and praise the God in the same breath.

I wonder what makes you feel that Myanmar cities have Chinese majority. They may have Chinese sympathisers. But then I would doubt that too.

Myanmar people are also very nationalistic where their ethnicity comes into play.

Sambha ka Boss

Chinese morality is a huge question mark.

They will sup with the Devil and praise the God in the same breath.

I wonder what makes you feel that Myanmar cities have Chinese majority. They may have Chinese sympathisers. But then I would doubt that too.

Myanmar people are also very nationalistic where their ethnicity comes into play.
Mandalay city is dominated by Chinese. During Myanmar's global isolation, the Chinese made a full use of Burma.
China's sway runs deep in Myanmar's ancient capital | Reuters

amoy

The last emperor of Ming Dynasty fled to Burma for asylum. Bowing to Qing pressure Burma handed him over.

Historically Burmese control didn't reach the northern tribes before the Brit colonization. The Panglong agreement prescribes Burma is to be a federation consisting of Kachin State Shan State and so on. That was why Kachin and Shan (=Thai) among others conceded to join the union for independence. Later by coup the military junta revoked the deal, abolished the constitution and deprived of their rights hence the endless insurgencies against Burmese chauvinism.

Some of them hav made peace with Naypiydaw as highly autonomous regions. Chinese clout permeates cross_border groups ~Wa State and Kokang as well as Kachin (Christian mostly. Mandalay their capital) . Wa and Kokang (=Han) speak Chinese as their official language.

KIA is the one backed by US and Thailand.

War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength. ~from my MiPad using tapatalk

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indeed most Kokang are descendants of Chinese speakers who migrated to what is now Shan State.

In the 18th century, belonging to the Yang clan, a Chinese military house they fled with the Ming loyalists from Nanjing to Yunnan Province.

Later they migrated to the Shan State in eastern Burma, forming a feudal state called Kokang.

From the 1960s to 1989, the area was ruled by the Communist Party of Burma, and after the dissolution of that party in 1989 it became a special region of Burma.

They organised an army called the National Democratic Alliance Army (NDAA) and were taken on by the Burmese military and that conflict is known as the Kokang incident.

It is also a fact that there is a way high spurt of Han Chinese in the population as per the census of 2002 compared with 2009. China is out with its tricks.

Soon PRC will claim that it is a part of China as they did with Pakistan's Shaksgam Valley (POK).

Last edited:

J20!

Country flag
There are plenty more where they came from.
Its not like they are people too right? With kids, mothers, brothers and so on right? I mean who'd miss em?

I think that's the most racist shit I've read on this forum so far.

Why haven't you deleted this rubbish Ray? Aren't you a moderator? Does hate like this belong here?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

J20!

Country flag
You do know that most of the people trapped in the crossfire are families of people who work there? Kids, mothers and grandfathers who have nothing to do with illegal trading?

And even if they were illegal traders, do they deserve to get killed in a war zone for being breadwinners? Do the Thai, Malayan, Cambodian, Burmese, smugglers and traders in the area deserve to die as well?

The China hate runs deep on this forum.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited:

J20!

Country flag
Double post

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles