Why So Many Harvard Students Study Ancient Chinese Philosophy

t_co

Why Are Hundreds of Harvard Students Studying Ancient Chinese Philosophy? - Christine Gross-Loh - The Atlantic

Puett's course Classical Chinese Ethical and Political Theory has become the third most popular course at the university. The only classes with higher enrollment are Intro to Economics and Intro to Computer Science"¦ Why are so many undergraduates spending a semester poring over abstruse Chinese philosophy by scholars who lived thousands of years ago? For one thing, the class fulfills one of Harvard's more challenging core requirements, Ethical Reasoning.
The future ideology of the global elite: Chinese political ethics, Neo-Keynesian economics, and American computer surveillance.

Welcome to the superstate.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador

Blackwater

Have they got the answer?
Indian slumdog in rags can't copy so well because they have their dirty butts uncoverd and always be happy with this?

:taunt::taunt::taunt: i have hit where it hurts u the most:wave::wave: and force you to vomit:pound:

btw u did not indroduce urself in members forum. r u paki or baki??

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Have they got the answer?
Indian slumdog in rags can't copy so well because they have their dirty butts uncoverd and always be happy with this?
Whatever.

They have morality and ethics guiding them!

As far as butts uncovered, none can beat the Chinese!

Subway signs warn Chinese tourists not to poop in public

Even Dirtier - Chinese Toilet Habits

Apart from the germs spread by spitting and blowing your nose everywhere, there are other things you have to contend with in China. Perhaps the vilest of these are the toilet habits of the Chinese, so vile so that they deserve a chapter to themselves.

Some may argue that these are cultural differences. But I beg to differ. There are cultural differences that can and should be tolerated, and there are just plain nasty habits that hark back to an era of primitiveness when we still walked on all fours. China has squat toilets and Western style toilets. The squat toilets are traditional and are a cultural difference. But the toilet habits of many Chinese are not. They are extraordinarily dirty. Sometimes, I think even a dog has cleaner potty habits than many of them.

A toilet in Chinese countryside is usually a harrowing experience and one you will unfortunately remember for the rest of your life (unless you're Chinese). First, the smell: you can usually smell a Chinese toilet from far off. When you enter, you may run back out. What greets you are a row of rectangular holes in the ground and all around them are strewn lumps of stale feces and used toilet paper. There are no doors on the stalls, sometimes, even no partitions between the holes. But those are just the very sometimes when you've eaten some of China's finest prepared laxatives, prepared in a dirty restaurant by dirty people. So you quickly glance around, then run back in, clutching your aching stomach in agony. You very gingerly step towards the toilet, taking utmost care not to step on any stale shit or used toilet paper and do your business.

If you are lucky, you will use the toilet in privacy. But if you aren't, some Chinese person will enter, see you, a foreigner squatting and start giggling. If you're in a school, then you may very well die of embarrassment when the kids see you and not only giggle, but beckon their friends, loudly proclaiming, "Waiguo laoshi shang cesuo" – Foreign teacher using toilet, and the whole lot come running in and trying to see if your bottom is blue in colour.

Yet, I feel the behaviour of the kids is tame compared to the animals whose are so primitive they can't defecate into the toilet and throw toilet paper in the toilet or wastebasket provided for the purpose. You start asking yourself if they know what a toilet is to be used for in the first place. What is wrong with these people? Is this how they behave in their houses? Do they like to see stale shit on entering the toilet? Or do they get woozy from the stench and accidentally position their rear ends wrongly.

City people will claim these are dirty countryside habits but this is a blatant lie. For two years, I lived in a provincial capital in China's northeast. I worked in a modern high rise building on the eleventh floor in the most cosmopolitan area of the city. You could smell the toilets when you got off the elevator, despite the doors to the toilets being shut. The act of going to use the toilet was filled with apprehension, because 75% of the time, when you entered, the toilet was unflushed by the last occupant and full of reeking shit. Judging by the amount of shit, sometimes it was the last 2 or 3 occupants. On many occasions, I almost puked. And even in the squat pots, they spit on the floor, not in the pot. So when you go in and squat, you're staring at frothy spit in front of you.

Children learn bad toilet habits from young. They will literally stoop and pee or defecate on the street, despite there being a public toilet 10 metres away. The vast majority of Chinese children have never worn a diaper. Instead, they have a big slit that, when they stoop down, opens and allows them to pass whatever. Or if it's a baby, the mother will hold the baby up, and indecently open the baby's legs as wide as possible. Once I was on a train and there was a toddler who wanted to use the toilet. Rather than take the child to the toilet 5 metres away, the mother opened a bottle and had the child pee in that. Have some of these people no shame, no sense of what is decent and acceptable to civilized people? Really, what do these people think sometimes? Is there shit in their heads as well as in their lower parts?

The state of Chinese toilets is the one thing most repulsive to foreigners in China. And this is the thing I most cannot understand about China: the toilet habits of not all but so very many. I can understand the lack of privacy - Chinese people grow up with the community and family so they do everything together, including using the toilet. So to them it doesn't matter if there are no doors. But for the filthiness, there is just NO excuse. When I went hiking about the countryside in England, I came to a conclusion that humans are different from animals. Animals shit everywhere and don't care. Humans, on the other hand, have a sense of decency, self respect and an appreciation for hygiene.

Chinese people are human right, so why can't they realize that the sight and smell of shit that's weeks old is repulsive? That toilet paper thrown everywhere is unsightly and disgusting? Really, you don't have to have a brain to realize this. But like obeying traffic laws, littering and queuing, this is just another example of the Chinese state of mind where common sense and what is practical and beneficial to the society takes second place to uncivilized impulsiveness, selfishness and stupidity. And dirtiness.

What is this lady thinking???!!! There's a restroom less than 10 metres away. But TIC: This is China. Kids will stoop on the street and use the toilet and no-one bats an eye.

Rants About China - Even dirtier - Chinese toilet habits

Last edited by a moderator:

s002wjh

Country flag
Whatever.

Subway signs warn Chinese tourists not to poop in public
i think indian should be last person who criticize hygiene regarding bad habit from chinese in public area. goto youtube, there are tons video shows how india poop/spit/release in public area. heck goto major city in china then goto india, everyone will know the difference. and i'm talking about hygiene not infastructure

that been said chinese does have alot these kind issues, but so does most developing country. however, they are learning and changing compare to others.

t_co

Whatever.

Maybe you could learn some facts from another highly-decorated Indian officer:

Musings on banks of the Huangpu - The Hindu

An Indian, standing on the embankment of the Huangpu river, as he gazes at the impressive Shanghai skyline, is assailed by an assortment of unfamiliar emotions. The first is one of admiration for the Chinese; our Asian brethren who emerged from foreign invasion, a world war and sanguinary internecine conflict to attain nationhood, two years after India, to find themselves in thrall to harsh totalitarian rule. It was only after the passing of Chairman Mao that a pragmatic, new leadership adopted free market practices and opened up China to the world. The result, to all outward appearances, is a modern, prosperous nation, knocking impatiently on the doors of the first world.

The second emotion is dismay that China succeeded in every aspect of socio-economic endeavour where India has either failed or is running in the same place. On a recent visit, I walked through residential areas in Shanghai, Wuxi and Suzhou, away from high-rise concrete, stainless steel and glass condominiums to observe the lifestyle of the common Chinese. The lower-middle classes reside in complexes and colonies much like our own: flats built cheek by jowl with hawkers vending vegetables on rickshaws and small neighbourhood shops dispensing tea and snacks.

And yet there were significant differences which spoke of a quality of life alien to us. The smooth, unbroken and tree-lined pavements are used freely by pedestrians and cyclists. One saw neither open drains nor piles of garbage; nor did one encounter stray animals or need to navigate past their excreta while walking. One came, frequently, upon uniformed sanitary workers conscientiously picking up litter and depositing it in motorised rickshaws. Absence of construction debris, plentiful garbage bins, public toilets, fire-hydrants and enclosed electric transformers spoke of an omnipresent civic authority which not just functioned but also enforced civic rules and laws; something sadly absent in India.

Traffic flowed freely on narrow but well-maintained roads, uncluttered by hawkers or parked vehicles, which are confined to designated areas. Low noise levels were attributable to all two and three-wheelers being battery-powered on legal mandate. My search for slums or pavement-dwellers was fruitless, either because they were absent or astutely camouflaged. Part of the explanation lay in the fact that every construction site — and there were hundreds — had a multistorey pre-fabricated accommodation complex for workers and families, with attached kitchens and crèches.

Smaller cities like Suzhou have an 'old quarter' and people continue to live in tiny congested houses on cobbled streets lined with ancient canals. Once again, high standards of sanitation and hygiene have enabled the residents to not only live healthy lives but also earn a living by catering for tourists in sidewalk cafeterias by the canal-banks. No expense was spared to provide for the Chinese citizen aesthetically designed and well-maintained public amenities like parks, libraries, museums, theatres and opera houses in every city, something unheard of in independent India.

t_co

@mods, please tell @Ray and others to stop dragging this thread off-topic. This is about Harvard students studying Chinese political ethics, not copyright violations or sanitary issues.

dhananjay1

I guess they are doing the same thing with Chinese philosophy they do in Indology. That is to prove that Chinese weren't much good with philosophy till they adopted the neo-abrahamist ideologies. There is just no way western universities would say many positive things about Confucianism, Daoism.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
To defeat any nation , first have to know about their history and weakness on social, cultural, ethnic issues

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
To defeat any nation , first have to know about their history and weakness on social, cultural, ethnic issues
Or you could always do shock and awe.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Or you could always do shock and awe.
in case of countries like China and India that wont work out , for this internal chaos would be created and for everything Chinese would be made to hate their leaders and Indians to hate their leaders . Already the process has been started against both Indians and Chinese .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@mods, please tell @Ray and others to stop dragging this thread off-topic. This is about Harvard students studying Chinese political ethics, not copyright violations or sanitary issues.
Well, you must realise that if one gloats and salivates, then he should be ready to be correct.

Here is your post

The future ideology of the global elite: Chinese political ethics, Neo-Keynesian economics, and American computer surveillance.

What response did you expect to this?

Indian slumdog in rags
Shout Red Salute Chairman Mao, Glory to the Peasants?
Welcome to the superstate.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Maybe you could learn some facts from another highly-decorated Indian officer:

Musings on banks of the Huangpu - The Hindu
I have great regards for Adm Arun Prakash and we were Cadets together in the same Sqn.

China cannot be commented on through a brief visit and a tour of Shanghai and Suzhou ( a tourist destination) and that too confined to certain areas.

I am sure he had not gone to the rural areas or seen a Hutong or that littered beach called the No 1 Beach in the World!!

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Well, you must realise that if one gloats and salivates, then he should be ready to be correct.
Let us understand that t_co is the Chinese version of hello_10. Certainly much more articulate, but the motive is similar; i.e, to get attention. Just sayin'.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Let us understand that t_co is the Chinese version of hello_10. Certainly much more articulate, but the motive is similar; i.e, to get attention. Just sayin'.
Is t_co from Shanghai?

He is good at 'shanghai-ng' all threads!

hbogyt

I didn't even read the article, but I wager that it's for their arts degrees lolololol.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles