Chinese Smartphone Brands Go Local In India

huaxia rox

Light Reading India - 4G/LTE - Chinese Smartphone Brands Go Local In India - Telecom News Analysis

In contrast with the Chinese smartphone majors—Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. and ZTE Corp. (Shenzhen: 000063; Hong Kong: 0763), which have not been incredibly aggressive in the Indian smartphone market, a number of small Chinese smartphone vendors have silently forayed with their high-end smartphone offerings.

The lucrative smartphone market in India has already seen advent of some domestic players such as Micromax Informatics Ltd. , Karbonn Mobiles and Spice Mobiles Ltd. among others that are vying with Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (Korea: SEC), Nokia Corp. (NYSE: NOK) and Sony Corp. (NYSE: SNE) with their affordable offerings.

Some of the new Chinese smartphone vendors are Konka, Gionee, Jiayu, ZOPO, and Xiamoi. Among them, Konka is the only company that entered the market with a strategic alliance with MAK Mobility, which already has its presence in the feature phone segment. MAK Mobility is providing Konka the platform for distribution and supply chain management in India.

Very recently, Konka launched its high-end range of Android powered smartphones in India, which is priced between INR-10,000 to INR 15,000. Konka's complete range is based on MediaTek's MTK6577 that features 1 GHz dual core processor.

The company is expected to launch a business smartphone range along with new smartphone line-ups in different segments.

China-based Konka recorded sales of $3 billion in 2011 and presently has over 25,000 employees, five manufacturing bases in China and three manufacturing bases in Indonesia, Mexico and Turkey.

Apart from Konka, Gionee has also launched its first high-end offering in India, called the Gionee Dream D at INR 17,999. The device has a 4.65-inch HD (1280 x 720) display with Corning Gorilla Glass 2 protection and runs on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 and is powered by a 1.2 GHz quad-core processor and 1 GB of RAM.

Jiayu, another entrant in the Indian market has recently rolled-out Jiayu G4, priced at just INR 9,000. This smartphone comes with 4.7-inch (1280 x 720) display also with Corning Gorilla Glass 2 protection and runs on the Google Android 4.1 OS platform. It is powered by a 1.2 GHz quad-core processor and 2 GB of RAM.

Zopo, a Chinese Android phone manufacturer, also has a complete range of smartphones for the Indian customers priced between INR 7,000 to INR 16,000. The company also offers Quad-core processor equipped Zopo Max 950 phablet in the country for INR 17,000.

Both the Jiayu G4 and ZOPO Max 950 are powered by Mediatek's quad-core MT6589 smartphone platfor, which has already been used by Micromax for its Canvas HD A 116 phablet/smartphone. Karbonn and Spice have also adopted the same quad-core chipset for their phablet offerings. (See The Phablet Battle Gets Intense.)

Lastly there is Xiaomi, which launched the Xiaomi MI-2 at INR 17,000 in the Indian market. Xiomi is the only company among its counterparts, which used Qualcomm's Snapdragon processor. The Xiaomi MI-2 has a 4.3-inch (1280 x 720) IPS capacitive touch screen display and runs on a 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor, with Jelly Bean Android 4.1 OS.

Aside these small Chinese entrants, Lenovo Group Ltd. (Hong Kong: 992) will also expand its smartphone line-up tin India in 2013. Presently, Lenovo offers five Android devices priced between INR 6,500 ($122) and INR 28,500 ($535).(See Lenovo To Go Bullish In Indian Smartphone Market.)

Evidently, MediaTek's low-cost chipsets—MT6589 and MT6577—have been allowing these Chinese companies to foray into the Indian market with competitive offerings in the affordable segment for smartphones. While the entry of these vendors is relatively recent, it is most likely that existing domestic players will face aggressive competition from these Chinese companies in Tier2 and Tier 3 cities, where smartphone penetration is very low.

The price sensitive Indian market has observed 3G tariffs cut lately, which is helping 3G services to penetrate deeply. With the drop in 3G tariffs is likely to lead to a burst in demand of these affordable high-end smartphones in Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities.

faizan300

Chinese smartphone brands are popular in India due to cheap price but the quality if these products is not more good.

Neo

Chinese smartphone brands are popular in India due to cheap price but the quality if these products is not more good.

fashionstylestrend.com/top-brands/
That is a misperception. Huawei's latest series of smartphones is as capable as the Samsung Galaxy series.
A friend gifted me a Huawei Ascend G700 on my birthday and I am using it as a spare to use my Pakistani sim.
Though it doesn't even comes close to the iphone, I found the quality and software to be compareable to Samsung or Nokia.

ladder

Country flag
That is a misperception. Huawei's latest series of smartphones is as capable as the Samsung Galaxy series.
A friend gifted me a Huawei Ascend G700 on my birthday and I am using it as a spare to use my Pakistani sim.
Though it doesn't even comes close to the iphone, I found the quality and software to be compareable to Samsung or Nokia.
Xiomi sold like hot cakes in Flip-kart.

Chinese propriety phone software was a drawback but after Android, they are more acceptable in mid-range segment.

Neo

Xiomi sold like hot cakes in Flip-kart.

Chinese propriety phone software was a drawback but after Android, they are more acceptable in mid-range segment.
Ever tried an Ascend G700 or P7?
You will be amazed.

ladder

Country flag
Ever tried an Ascend G700 or P7?
You will be amazed.
I am a windows man, just now updating to 8.1 on my phone as I write this.

Though I agree with you, some products from Chinese manufacturers are very good.

Reactions: Neo

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
chinese stuff makes us feel that we have arrived.

They are so cheap, that even a panwallah has no regrets when it breaks down since he can always buy another one without a pinch to his pocket.

And they work!

Xi is bringing in more such type of goodies when he visits India.

In the package Xi is bringing to India, packaged food to include diary products are on the list.

catch me buying those, even if they are dirt cheap.

I would not think that would be racist and instead a self preservation and saving necessity.

Can't have things with gutter oil or melamine milk.

Last edited:

thethinker

Country flag
I am a windows man, just now updating to 8.1 on my phone as I write this.

Windows 8.1 phone is awesome. Not as many apps as Android or iPhone but those which are there are sufficient for professional uses (free MS Office with the phone).

If you travel a lot, do make full use of the Data Sense feature.

mylegend

They are so cheap, that even a panwallah has no regrets when it breaks down since he can always buy another one without a pinch to his pocket.

And they work!

Xiaomi Mi4 review: China's iPhone killer is unoriginal but amazing | Ars Technica
http://www.cnet.com/products/xiaomi-mi-4/
You see all Chinese products such phones as bad quality, but reality is that major Western tech reviews sites sees it opposite way. Ray, when you view everything with your racist eye, everything you see from China is inferior. You are blind because of your racism.
This may be what you want all along, Xiaomi's phone share many element of Apple's, but they are not low quality, and definitely more refined than any Indian phone. Huawei's phone are more original and its top product are also high quality.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Xiaomi Mi4 review: China's iPhone killer is unoriginal but amazing | Ars Technica
You see all Chinese phones as bad quality, but reality is that major Western tech review sees it opposite way. Ray, when you view everything with your racist eye, everything you see from China is inferior.
This may be what you want all along, Xiaomi's phone share many element of Apple's, but they are not low quality, and definitely more refined than any Indian phone. Huawei's phone are more original and its top product are also high quality.
Nothing racists about knowing the quality of an item. or is it?

Forget Indian phones, they are nowhere in the league as yet. Now Indians will say I am racist.

But Chinese goods are cheap and tacky, but they don't cause consternation when they die out since you can always buy another without a pinch to your pocket.

What's so racist about that?

And they work!

In the package Xi is bringing to India, packaged food to include diary products are on the list.

I would not think that would be racist and instead a self preservation and saving necessity.

Unlike you Chinese who are enamoured by anything the West says or does, I don't think much about the West and their claims.

I believe in myself and what is my experience.

Last edited:

mylegend

Nothing racists about knowing the quality of an item. or is it?

Forget Indian phones, they are nowhere in the league as yet. Now Indians will say I am racist.

But Chinese goods are cheap and tacky, but they don't cause consternation when they die out since you can always buy another without a pinch to your pocket.

What's so racist about that?

And they work!

Ray, everything you say from this thread prove you are a racist. http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/china/63320-several-issues-misunderstood-most-indians.html I argue your racism simply based on the racism you have posted there, you know that. Just like the fact that you know yourself as a racist.

Ray, you just made an argument that Chinese product are poor in quality, I just show you otherwise. Some of most popular tech review sites in America already rate Mi4 as top notch product just as One Plus One gain top review. However, the racism in you still made you ignore the truth and claim otherwise. I guess the only way for you to fix the evidence of your racism left behind is to ask the moderator to moderate your racist view you have posted in the forum, but for those who already view them, they all know your character.

Last edited:

hitesh

China should teach India a lesson on becoming a manufacturing hub once it evolved to next phase ,but unless Indians who are happy to import cheap items then actually manufacturing them in India should feel good exporting rice & grain only

esolve

And they work!

Chinese factories make cheap stuff for cheap ppl and non-cheap stuff for non-cheap ppl.
if you r cheap and pay little money, don't expect more. And don't complain like this.
Be silent until you have decent job and can afford an oppo, Dji, Huawei mate 7.

ladder

Country flag
Chinese factories make cheap stuff for cheap ppl and non-cheap stuff for non-cheap ppl.
if you r cheap and pay little money, don't expect more. And don't complain like this.
Be silent until you have decent job and can afford an oppo, Dji, Huawei mate 7.
:pound::pound::laugh:

I would definitely pray for @Ray, so that he secures a decent job ( his dream job is to work in a Chinese labor camp) so that he can afford to buy 'oppo' 'Dji' 'Huawei'.

But, a word of caution, if you happen to be a supervisor of any such camp, keep an eye on @Ray, he can write English, therefore can send a distress chit, concealed in product.
Chinese labor camp inmate tells of true horror of Halloween 'SOS' - CNN.com

So, treat him well, pay him in time, and no monkey business with him, cause.......................................

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashutosh Lokhande

I would definitely pray for @Ray, so that he secures a decent job ( his dream job is to work in a Chinese labor camp) so that he can afford to buy 'oppo' 'Dji' 'Huawei'.

But, a word of caution, if you happen to be a supervisor of any such camp, keep an eye on @Ray, he can write English, therefore can send a distress chit, concealed in product.

So, treat him well, pay him in time, and no monkey business with him, cause.......................................
:lol: :lol: :lol:

esolve

that labor camp is used for murderers, theft and Falungong practitioners.
I think the easiest way for Ray is to practise Falungong or some other cult.

but wait

that kind of camps have been canceled by new President Xi. Bad news for Ray.

ladder

Country flag
that labor camp is used for murderers, theft and Falungong practitioners.
I think the easiest way for Ray is to practise Falungong or some other cult.

but wait

that kind of camps have been canceled by new President Xi. Bad news for Ray.
So, you mean, racist like @Ray, didn't deserve labor camps, only lesser crimes like murder deserved it? What was the punishment for racists, firing squad?

Why the hell did Xi go Jumping to close labor camps?
Is that why labor costs in China are rising?
Is it why Nokia shifted business to Vietnam?:scared1:
Microsoft shifts Nokia manufacturing to Vietnam | Business | Thanh Nien Daily

I see, nice little revelation there................

esolve

So, you mean, racist like @Ray, didn't deserve labor camps, only lesser crimes like murder deserved it? What was the punishment for racists, firing squad?

Why the hell did Xi go Jumping to close labor camps?
Is that why labor costs in China are rising?
Is it why Nokia shifted business to Vietnam?:scared1:
Microsoft shifts Nokia manufacturing to Vietnam | Business | Thanh Nien Daily

I see, nice little revelation there................
u r so joking.
Number of criminals who were put into labor camp is just tiny tiny tiny portion. How can it affect labor costs?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles