Chinese Smartphone Brands Go Local In India

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If you actually bother to find data, the number of political and religious prisoner is really small. Unlike Western nations that can afford to spend over 10000 usd to house a prisoner. Prison in China receive little funding, therefore they need to finance themselve by contracting with other business. As I post it years ago, the prisoner is actually paid, the contract company pay around 100-200 usd per labor(depend of region, lower than market rate of 300-500usd), the prison usually provide between 20-50 usd incentive per month for prisoner, it is cruel but they commit crimes. Furthermore, prison house and feed the prisoners.

One way for you to find out the truth is easy if you actually run an import export business, you will know that the CNN report on the letter found in cloth is most likely to be fake, most of export clothes for major brands to the west gone through wash stage in manufacturing to pre-shrink to prevent shrinking after consumer receive it. With many of the process in manufacturing, a letter won't survive the way as reported by CNN. Furthermore, when you contract with major brands in the west, pre-condition is set that there will be no prison manufacturing. If a trading house is caught with sub-contracting with prison, it lost the contract. It is unlikely that the contract was sub-contract to a prison due the reason mentioned. However, small western firm may careless about where thing is manufactured, but that was not the case with the news report.

I have explained in detail years ago in forum about how the system works, I believe you read it too as you posted the same video years ago.
Again the silly weepy whine that is expected of the Chinese to justify the ridiculous.

This is a totally disingenuous and a daft way to circumvent the reality.
Unlike Western nations that can afford to spend over 10000 usd to house a prisoner. Prison in China receive little funding, therefore they need to finance themselve by contracting with other business.
What has money and funding to with slave labour practised in Laogais?

In every country the prison inmates are kept productively busy. The only difference is that they are not used as an assembly line for factories and industry as in China, but to teach skill and what is produced is commercially beneficial for the jail itself. And the prisoners are paid money for their work, in case you did not know.

As far as the conditions in Laogais are concerned, Al Jazeerah's (Arabic run) has given a very graphic video and world wide media reports merely supplement the facts. Seeing is believing.

See that video and note how the use of prison labour by China is hidden so as to fool the world, including the US. See the video from 18.3

Here is the video for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

mylegend

Again the silly weepy whine that is expected of the Chinese to justify the ridiculous.

This is a totally disingenuous and a daft way to circumvent the reality.

What has money and funding to with slave labour practised in Laogais?

In every country the prison inmates are kept productively busy. The only difference is that they are not used as an assembly line for factories and industry as in China, but to teach skill and what is produced is commercially beneficial for the jail itself. And the prisoners are paid money for their work, in case you did not know.

As far as the conditions in Laogais are concerned, Al Jazeerah's (Arabic run) has given a very graphic video and world wide media reports merely supplement the facts. Seeing is believing.

See that video and note how the use of prison labour by China is hidden so as to fool the world, including the US. See the video from 18.3

Here is the video for you.

Wait, where is your statistic? By repeating the same thing, what is your argument? I point out the flaw of CNN report, you were not able to counter the fact that a letter can not survive standard cloth manufacturing processes. If you have some friends in cloth manufacturing business, ask them if pre-wash a common process for Western name brands. You are pathetic, after being proved that high-end Chinese phone have glowing reviews by major tech reviewers, you distract the argument by talking about Laogai.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Wait, where is your statistic? By repeating the same thing, what is your argument? I point out the flaw of CNN report, you were not able to counter the fact that a letter can not survive standard cloth manufacturing processes. If you have some friends in cloth manufacturing business, ask them if pre-wash a common process for Western name brands. You are pathetic, after being proved that high-end Chinese phone have glowing reviews by major tech reviewers, you distract the argument by talking about Laogai.
Are you blind?

Statistics?

Can you not see it live in front of your eyes in that Youtube video?

Next you will ask me to transport and bring a Laogai into this thread so that you can believe!!!

What idiocy!

You guys are real rich!

Rich, in case you did not know, also means existing in plentiful quantities; abundant.

I am not distracting with the Laogai. That is where the components are made and then assembled in the legitimate factories.

I understand the Laogai and its connection with Chinese products is embarrassing for you.

Last edited:

mylegend

Are you blind?

Statistics?

Can you not see it live in front of your eyes in that Youtube video?

Next you will ask me to transport and bring a Laogai into this thread so that you can believe!!!

What idiocy!

You guys are real rich!

Rich, in case you did not know, also means existing in plentiful quantities; abundant.
Wait, a guy that does not know the difference between denotation and connotation is educating people a vocabulary. You are pathetic.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Wait, a guy that do not know difference between denotation and connotation is educating people a vocabulary. You are pathetic.
And the point is?

Where does denotation creep out of your crumbly woodwork?

For the English illiterate 'rich' is associated with money - denotation.

But it has more meanings - connotation ( positive and negative associations ).

If someone states that ' you chaps are real rich', it also has the negative meaning = you are brainless, thick and idiotic.

Got that, Steve?

Learn English. It is sure complicated to the Chinese, if nothing else.

You are a real Chinese legend!

Last edited:

Compersion

Country flag
There are many companies in China which make chips. The best is of course Huawei hisilicon. It makes Kirin 920, 925 and 930, which can rival Qualcomm, let alone MTK. And Huawei have used these chips in its Ascend p7 and mate 7, which are not cheap and sells well all over the world, especially in Germany.
BOE Technology is a display panel maker which is only second to Samsung in the world. Almost all components of a smartphone can be designed and made by Chinese companies. Many components in Iphone are from Chinese component suppliers.

when it comes to software, if you mean the iOS or Android, then only US has the software, even Korean Samsung/LG or Japan Sony has no software.

There are expensive chinese brands, like Oppo, vivo, and Huawei Mate/Ascend series, sold at price like 599 euros. 6000 INR can only give you a red Mi or some unknonw branded phones.
I have not doubt that PRC and PRC company are good at making cheap (not necessarily with good quality and advanced products) under its current political and representative structure. And to be frank it needs to get a little more respect that it supported the world in making cheap man made goods and also transitioned many western economies from manufacturing to service based and automated manufacturing.

If ones budget is INR 6000 the PRC made smartphone brands will be better in specs since they can do that on large scale unlike OEMs. The OEMs will be unable to compete and further why would the PRC brands want to allow them to (possible cartel behavior). Thats why I believe Micromax will eventually move to make on their own.

But if ones budget in the Smartphone range is higher and of the Iphones and Samsungs it is a different ball game. It is like with most electronic goods now a days you get the PRC made cheap goods and a bunch of consolidated companies at the higher end. The question of quality also comes in but that is a different topic. But still it is a big pie - Money is money.

But I like to look and read further and understand how can PRC manage this without any problems. As mentioned earlier it's a highly competitive market the number of factories in PRC are astonishing and massive scale and the economic climate is not that wonderful to sustain all. Also it is unheard of to read any bankruptcy and failed business in PRC. Is what is happening in PRC done by free market practice where the best deserve to be the best probably not. There must be a massive amount of failures and also not all low end customers pay on time. There are too many PRC manufacturers of Smartphone. For example DVD players manufactures.

Either-way the people in PRC are getting paid in Yuan and thats what matters to keep them happy and not worry about the many bankruptcy and failed business. Also there is the thinking that the few profitable ventures that spring up can generate enough profits to cover the losses of others in the financial and banking sector - non-performing assets (thats the risk). The closest one can think about similar is when Germany during 1930-40s was able to repeat such a business manufacturing model (that depend on people work and not free market and accounting and external collaboration and transparency). Again this can be countered by some to say that is nonsense it is because of the low interest rate in PRC and regions nearby and it can be lowered to zero to safeguard massive financial default(s) - keep printing money.

Web of Debt - Thinking Outside The Box: How A Bankrupt Germany Solved Its Infrastructure Problems

Anyway returning to smartphone - At this moment there is not much difference between the higher end smart phone and the INR 6000 device if one looks closely. I feel this way to get maximum out of the money spent and it has been like this for decades the PRC manufactures do this in many electronic fields. But the beauty with technology is that it is evolving. When Lenovo bought IBM that was pivot point in the market dynamics and the same has happened with Motorola. One can term it consolidation i would term it PRC manufacturing absorption and discovery and knowledge of making cheap goods on their own (like mentioned from screen to chip). The important word is cheap.

When I change the phone next time i will look at PRC made device definitely why i need to pay more money if it is not worth to do that. But i am not saying that there might be other good choices and I might end up paying more. Its the same in PRC they prefer Iphones and Samsungs if given the choice. But anyway it is good for people it makes more competition and better choice. I definitely am happy India is able to get such a access to cheap PRC goods because I know what happens in India when competition is not there. There is huge profits to be made in India. But national interest first and I dont want India to get harm in anyway it works both ways.

Added later**

There is also a question about being made cheap to penetrate refer to the chips and spyware and infringe in privacy (that is much in the news and everyone is doing it it seems). Everyone is doing it seems. Perhaps PRC company willing to make a loss and not big profits on purpose to penetrate more compared to others.

Last edited:

mylegend

And the point is?

Where does denotation creep out of your crumbly woodwork?

For the English illiterate 'rich' is associated with money - denotation.

But it has more meanings - connotation ( positive and negative associations ).

If someone states that ' you chaps are real rich', it also has the negative meaning = you are brainless, thick and idiotic.

Got that, Steve?

Learn English. It is sure complicated to the Chinese, if nothing else.

You are a real Chinese legend!
Just curiosity, where did you happen to find the name I use online? I don't remember ever mentioning it on this or . It is getting creepy. Do you used my cookies to trace me? I guess I never use any mean to hide my record, I guess I should have at least try. Probably, all the members in this website should. I am also hoping that those Google and other web-email provider warning I got of illegal attempt to access my email accounts locating in India and China are not from you. This is getting really creepy.

Hopefully, you just find the trace by viewing my post history the link I have send before. http://www.23hq.com/steve1991/photo/11400790/original in this thread http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ou-must-know-about-malaysia-3.html#post730754 in #36 as an image. The link only show up if you copy image source.

That is the only one reference of Steve in entire post history. A link of image host site that identify link with user name.

I guess I should not have just used meaningful year in History and the name I use frequently online to create an account for a service I only use once. This is bad for privacy.

If you figure out the other ways, it is probably illegal. However, most likely you find out the illegal way. I doubt that you will read through all my posts because who in hell have that much spare time in non productive activity. If you actually do have those time, you still are pathetic and creepy.

Last edited:

esolve

I have not doubt that PRC and PRC company are good at making cheap (not necessarily with good quality and advanced products) under its current political and representative structure. And to be frank it needs to get a little more respect that it supported the world in making cheap man made goods and also transitioned many western economies from manufacturing to service based and automated manufacturing.

If ones budget is INR 6000 the PRC made smartphone brands will be better in specs since they can do that on large scale unlike OEMs. The OEMs will be unable to compete and further why would the PRC brands want to allow them to (possible cartel behavior). Thats why I believe Micromax will eventually move to make on their own.

But if ones budget in the Smartphone range is higher and of the Iphones and Samsungs it is a different ball game. It is like with most electronic goods now a days you get the PRC made cheap goods and a bunch of consolidated companies at the higher end. The question of quality also comes in but that is a different topic. But still it is a big pie - Money is money.

But I like to look and read further and understand how can PRC manage this without any problems. As mentioned earlier it's a highly competitive market the number of factories in PRC are astonishing and massive scale and the economic climate is not that wonderful to sustain all. Also it is unheard of to read any bankruptcy and failed business in PRC. Is what is happening in PRC done by free market practice where the best deserve to be the best probably not. There must be a massive amount of failures and also not all low end customers pay on time. There are too many PRC manufacturers of Smartphone. For example DVD players manufactures.

Either-way the people in PRC are getting paid in Yuan and thats what matters to keep them happy and not worry about the many bankruptcy and failed business. Also there is the thinking that the few profitable ventures that spring up can generate enough profits to cover the losses of others in the financial and banking sector - non-performing assets (thats the risk). The closest one can think about similar is when Germany during 1930-40s was able to repeat such a business manufacturing model (that depend on people work and not free market and accounting and external collaboration and transparency). Again this can be countered by some to say that is nonsense it is because of the low interest rate in PRC and regions nearby and it can be lowered to zero to safeguard massive financial default(s) - keep printing money.

Web of Debt - Thinking Outside The Box: How A Bankrupt Germany Solved Its Infrastructure Problems

Anyway returning to smartphone - At this moment there is not much difference between the higher end smart phone and the INR 6000 device if one looks closely. I feel this way to get maximum out of the money spent and it has been like this for decades the PRC manufactures do this in many electronic fields. But the beauty with technology is that it is evolving. When Lenovo bought IBM that was pivot point in the market dynamics and the same has happened with Motorola. One can term it consolidation i would term it PRC manufacturing absorption and discovery and knowledge of making cheap goods on their own (like mentioned from screen to chip). The important word is cheap.

When I change the phone next time i will look at PRC made device definitely why i need to pay more money if it is not worth to do that. But i am not saying that there might be other good choices and I might end up paying more. Its the same in PRC they prefer Iphones and Samsungs if given the choice. But anyway it is good for people it makes more competition and better choice. I definitely am happy India is able to get such a access to cheap PRC goods because I know what happens in India when competition is not there. There is huge profits to be made in India. But national interest first and I dont want India to get harm in anyway it works both ways.

Added later**

There is also a question about being made cheap to penetrate refer to the chips and spyware and infringe in privacy (that is much in the news and everyone is doing it it seems). Everyone is doing it seems. Perhaps PRC company willing to make a loss and not big profits on purpose to penetrate more compared to others.

As I mentioned before, China produce both cheap and expensive smartphones, and other electronic products. and China possesses top technologies in different fields. At present, Huawei smartphone can't beat apple and samsung, but it will within 3 years.
China's labor is lower than developed nations, sure, but higher than southeast countries, some latin american countries like mexico, let alone south asia and africa. But compared to these areas, China has
complete industry chain/logistics and good infrastructure, so it wins out.

China have many companies which went bankrupt, you just don't know.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Well, Google launched its Android One in India.

Android One low-cost smartphones launch in India
Phones start at $116, thanks to Google's shared designs, components, software
Google formally introduced its first "family" of Android One smartphones Monday in India, in partnership with three Indian phone manufacturers. The Karbonn Android One Sparkle V is now on sale for 6499 rupees ($116) and the Spice Android One Dream Uno for 7499 rupees ($135). As of Monday afternoon, the Micromax Android One Canvas A1, being sold through Amazon, was sold out.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/android-one-low-cost-smartphones-launch-in-india-1.2766860
Now, the cheap Chinese mobile phones will get a run for their money.

Last edited:

thethinker

Country flag
Chinese smartphones have privacy issues, it seems.

Xiaomi under investigation for sending user info back to China
- September 11, 2014 -- 06:38 GMT (12:08 IST)

After an information security company accused Xiaomi of sending user information without consent back to servers in mainland China, the privacy authority of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government announced that it has launched an investigation on the Chinese phone maker, as Apple Daily reported on September 9.

According to Nexusguard Consulting, a multinational information security solution provider, WhatsApp downloaded from Xiaomi's pre-installed App market could have been modified to send user information back to as many as nine servers on the mainland, while the Google Play version sends info to the US.

Among the alleged information receivers are state-owned telecommunications giant China Unicom, and two internet companies based in Beijing and Guangzhou, the Apple Daily reported.

The local privacy authority responded that it recently recorded nine cases of complaints and has carried out an investigation on the Chinese phone maker's Hong Kong office to collect evidence.

In response, Xiaomi's official Facebook page published a statement on September 9 that the company hasn't received any letter regarding the aforementioned investigation, and its products are not sending personal information to the company's servers without users' consent.

====================================
Security, privacy issues hit Chinese firm Xiaomi

Mumbai, August 11:

Handset manufacturer Xiaomi, which recently dethroned Samsung in China, is mired in a controversy after security firm F-Secure accused it of security and privacy breaches. Separately, Xiaomi — hailed as the 'Apple of China' – has said it has issued a fix for the breach.

F-Secure's allegation

In its report, F-Secure alleged that Xiaomi Redmi 1S phone was sending user's data including the handset's International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) information, phone numbers stored and text messages exchanged to a remote server in China.

"This happens as soon as the handset is booted. This is both a security and a privacy issue," F-Secure Country Manager (India and SAARC) Amit Nath said.

The data were being sent to a server named api.account.xiaomi.com, even when Mi Cloud (free cloud messaging services) was not activated.

This breach was detected by the security firm's Kuala Lumpur laboratory, which also tracks India market.

"We immediately flagged this to the company, and the company has come out with a fix. It has made its cloud messaging service as an option-in service, and hence it is unlikely to have a major impact in India," he added.

peacecracker

Well, Google launched its Android One in India.

Now, the cheap Chinese mobile phones will get a run for their money.
Again, the hardware may be made in PRC. We have no chip manufacturing capability may be some primitive one from PSU's. It is a shame. Defence industry will benefit a lot. BJP government should give it a high priority for localization of microprocessors. yes, we know we cannot defeat PRC in microprocessor/control manufacturing.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Again, the hardware may be made in PRC. We have no chip manufacturing capability may be some primitive one from PSU's. It is a shame. Defence industry will benefit a lot. BJP government should give it a high priority for localization of microprocessors. yes, we know we cannot defeat PRC in microprocessor/control manufacturing.
I would not take developing indigenous industry to be aimed at 'defeating' China.

It would be to make a better and productive India and we have a real advantage - low cost labour.

Compersion

Country flag
Two chip units to come up in two years - The Hindu

From 2013 - September - Not sure if there is any update(s)

Two electronic chip manufacturing units, which entail a combined investment of Rs.51,550 crore, and would enjoy government subsidy, are likely to be operational in the next two years.
"There are strategic sectors like atomic energy sector, space, defence and power. In all of these you need chips. There are security considerations. It will serve our strategic purpose. There are security considerations. The fabs should be operational in about two years from now," Mr. Sibal said here. At present, there is no electronic chip manufacturing or semiconductor wafer fabrication plant in India. Over 90 per cent of the domestic electronic requirement is met through imports.
Something more recently:

http://www.livemint.com/Industry/7m...-eyes-Narendra-Modis-nod-for-India-plant.html

Israeli chip maker eyes Narendra Modi's nod for India plant to sustain rally Tower Semiconductor seeks nod to operate one of the two factories that Modi has earmarked to support local semiconductor industry
Read more at: http://www.livemint.com/Industry/7m...odis-nod-for-India-plant.html?utm_source=copy

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...ip-joint-venture-amid-dim-sale-prospects.html

International Business Machines Corp. (IBM) is focused on finding a joint-venture partner for its chip-manufacturing business after failing to attract a buyer for the division, two people with knowledge of the matter said.

Last edited:

esolve

After an information security company accused Xiaomi of sending user information without consent back to servers in mainland China, the privacy authority of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government announced that it has launched an investigation on the Chinese phone maker, as Apple Daily reported on September 9.

According to Nexusguard Consulting, a multinational information security solution provider, WhatsApp downloaded from Xiaomi's pre-installed App market could have been modified to send user information back to as many as nine servers on the mainland, while the Google Play version sends info to the US.

Among the alleged information receivers are state-owned telecommunications giant China Unicom, and two internet companies based in Beijing and Guangzhou, the Apple Daily reported.

The local privacy authority responded that it recently recorded nine cases of complaints and has carried out an investigation on the Chinese phone maker's Hong Kong office to collect evidence.

In response, Xiaomi's official Facebook page published a statement on September 9 that the company hasn't received any letter regarding the aforementioned investigation, and its products are not sending personal information to the company's servers without users' consent.

Mumbai, August 11:

Handset manufacturer Xiaomi, which recently dethroned Samsung in China, is mired in a controversy after security firm F-Secure accused it of security and privacy breaches. Separately, Xiaomi — hailed as the 'Apple of China' – has said it has issued a fix for the breach.

F-Secure's allegation

In its report, F-Secure alleged that Xiaomi Redmi 1S phone was sending user's data including the handset's International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) information, phone numbers stored and text messages exchanged to a remote server in China.

"This happens as soon as the handset is booted. This is both a security and a privacy issue," F-Secure Country Manager (India and SAARC) Amit Nath said.

The data were being sent to a server named api.account.xiaomi.com, even when Mi Cloud (free cloud messaging services) was not activated.

This breach was detected by the security firm's Kuala Lumpur laboratory, which also tracks India market.

"We immediately flagged this to the company, and the company has come out with a fix. It has made its cloud messaging service as an option-in service, and hence it is unlikely to have a major impact in India," he added.

iPhone 'backdoors' can be used for surveillance, warns researcher

iPhone 'backdoors' can be used for surveillance, warns researcher | Technology | theguardian.com

Every iPhone Has A Security Backdoor
Every iPhone Has A Security Backdoor - Forbes

esolve

Mumbai, August 11:

F-Secure's allegation

iPhone 'backdoors' can be used for surveillance, warns researcher | Technology | theguardian.com

thethinker

Country flag

China is spying on you through your KETTLE: Bugs that scan wi-fi devices found in imported kitchen gadgets

Russian investigators claim to have found household appliances imported from China which contain hidden microchips that pump spam data and malware into wi-fi networks.

Authorities in St Petersburg allegedly discovered 20 to 30 kettles and irons with 'spy microchips that send some data to the foreign server', according to Russian media.

Wonder where iPhones are manufactured?

esolve

China is spying on you through your KETTLE: Bugs that scan wi-fi devices found in imported kitchen gadgets

Russian investigators claim to have found household appliances imported from China which contain hidden microchips that pump spam data and malware into wi-fi networks.

Authorities in St Petersburg allegedly discovered 20 to 30 kettles and irons with 'spy microchips that send some data to the foreign server', according to Russian media.

Wonder where iPhones are manufactured?
if you want to doubt this,
then you should abandom all devices coz they are mostly made in China, will you?

and as Snowden disclosed, the US government is spying all over the world through US websites, then stop using google, facebook, yahoo,blabla

Last edited:

thethinker

Country flag
if you want to doubt this,
then you should abandom all devices coz they are mostly made in China, will you?
What I do or don't do regarding electronic surveillance countermeasures is none of your concern.

I have no desire to increase your post count and thus increase your "work revenue", Mr 50 cent poster from "Italy". At least use the flag that you claim allegiance to in your profile rather than use some other country...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Chinese factories make cheap stuff for cheap ppl and non-cheap stuff for non-cheap ppl.
if you r cheap and pay little money, don't expect more. And don't complain like this.
Be silent until you have decent job and can afford an oppo, Dji, Huawei mate 7.
Technology changes rapidly.

The requirement for a mobile remains the same.

It is merely the noveau riche who change mobiles to be 'with the Jones'.

Therefore, I prefer to change with there is any giant leap and not mere cosmetic with marginal difference.

This is what Bruce Lee, a Chinese, has to say

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles