J-21/J-31 Chinese 5th Generation Stealth Fighter

p2prada

if i Am not wrong than it was supposed to be for the navy

i guess Pakistan will wait for the single engine j2x or FC-2
There are two options from what I remember. It is not written in stone though.

There was talk of a 4.5th generation twin engine aircraft like Rafale for export and a 5th gen single engine aircraft for export.

Too early to say what this aircraft is meant for.

AprilLyrics

Gates: Do not visit china in january

Panetta: Sh!t....i thouGHt you were right....

G90

This is a medium-weight low-cost fighter, and it is by no means a competitor to Chengdu's J-20, actually this fighter has not even get officially approval from the Airforce.

On J-20 2001 you can clear see the PLA's official red stars there, but this fighter only get SAC's factory symbol, suggesting the fact it is not an offical airforce project, rather an AVIC's self-funded project targeting export market,and hope to get orders from PLA in the future.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
even the security guards near that fighter are not from military, looks like private security. Does it mean it is not official project, i am sure it is not top prority project. May be for cheap export to friendly third world countries only.
If i am China i dont want my JXX to be quietly flown to US arms by PAF pilot on payrole. Therefore some third rated Cheap product for PAF.

shiphone

Country flag
oh ,please...I always can't understand why someone could comment on everything with so much self confidence...which proved to be wrong finally every time.

1. both CAC and SAC are in the same group company: AVIC
2. both CAC and SAC are State owned ,not PLA owned.

this jet is spotted in SAC...
-----------------------------
a little more basic info about this project...

1.this is not the prototype of the Northern team for the 4th Gen fighter bidding.(this bidding was over before 2007).as we know ,the winner is the J20 project of Southern team.
2.this is a official project of northern team and completely funded by AVIC group(no funds from the State and PLA, unlike the J20) . and it began in around 2008 after the defeat of northern team
3.this project aims at the international market ...and another customer would be the PLANAF.

----------------------------
about the engine...it is fitted with WS13 now...but obviously, this jet uses this for initial test period only.
the standard engine might be this one

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
Few days back someone said from China, that China is ready to sell their Helicopters to India.

Not that helos, but this aircraft looks cool. Price won't be much. It is for export anyway.

So China may get ready to sell it to India, (with ToT). Who knows then. ;)

Pakistan is mere a testing ground for Chinese weapons.

No problem, now India can test it too.

:D

What say....!

Zebra

Country flag
oh ,please...I always can't understand why someone could comment on everything with so much self confidence...which proved to be wrong finally every time.

1. both CAC and SAC are in the same group company: AVIC
2. both CAC and SAC are State owned ,not PLA owned.

this jet is spotted in SAC...
btw, shiphone,

Who is this someone? :taunt1:

p2prada

Yeah. Now it looks like a real aircraft.

@shiphone

Is there official confirmation that this fighter is for export? Or is it a smaller twin engine version to complement the bigger J-20? Or is it possible there is a third project for the "low" end? Or will the same version be used by PLAAF and export market?

J20!

Country flag
1. The front dual nose-wheel appears to have some sort of contraption on it... At the very least it looks quite bulky, and reminds me somewhat of the additional parts CATOBAR aircraft have to accommodate the hold back bar on the catapult. The twin nose wheel, especially considering that the much larger J20 has a single nose wheel, lends credence to the theory that the J21/J31 is aimed at the PLANAF's carrier borne 5th gen fighter requirement.

2. It cant really be aimed at the export market ala JF17 considering that there really isn't that large a market for low cost 5th gen fighters. Who will buy it? Pakistan of course, but who else? South America? Definitely not Africa, seeing as even the JF17 is too pricey for most African countries. That wouldn't be very profitable considering that this is an AVIC project and their biggest, most profitable market is the Chinese defence market, ie the PLA.

3. It's most probably a medium weight compliment to the expensive looking J20... it looks very much like a mini F-22, and similar to all the proposals of medium weight 5th gen fighters like ATD-X, KFX, AMCA, TFX etc. So it would be a medium weight 5th gen fighter for the PLAAF and a carrier borne 5ht gen fighter for the PLAN. But it seems wiser to wait and see and avoid all this speculation.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles