Replica of Austrian village built in Guangdong

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Replica of Austrian village built in Guangdong

A $940-million Chinese clone of one of Austria's most picturesque villages - the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization World Heritage-listed Hallstatt - recently opened its doors amid some controversy to visitors in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong.

A replica of an Austrian UNESCO heritage site, Hallstatt village, in Huizhou, South China's Guangdong province, on June 1. The metals and mining company China Minmetals Corp spent $940 million to build the site in the hope of attracting tourists and property investors there, according to local newspaper reports. Tyrone Siu / Reuters

The "Made in China" version of the lakeside European village known for tourism and salt mining includes an exact replica of its church clock tower, European-style wooden houses and other properties that will be sold to investors.

The project, conceived by a Chinese mining tycoon, initially sparked outrage and surprise among some Hallstatt villagers, who were not at first aware of the attempt to copy their unique, centuries-old home.

Half an hour's ride from the city of Huizhou, close to China's "world factory" of the Pearl River Delta, China's Hallstatt hopes to become a new tourist attraction.

Disney-themed photo spots are scattered around the village's main plaza, which is modeled after Hallstatt's marketplace.

"The moment I stepped in here, I felt I was in Europe," said 22-year-old Zhu Bin, a Huizhou resident.

"The security guards wear nice costumes. All the houses are built in European style."

Covering 1 million square meters, cranes and construction sites spread across barren hills above the gabled houses, promising an expansion of the current town.

Despite the initial mixed response, local authorities in Hallstatt have since softened their stances, seeing a rare, marketing opportunity at the heart of one of the world's fastest growing tourism markets.

"It was not so controversial. We were only surprised that a small village in Austria was built, and now we are very proud that it happened," said Hallstatt Mayor Alexander Scheutz, who flew with an Austrian delegation to mark the official opening and signed documents promising future cultural ties.

Visitors and journalists filming on site were asked to leave shortly before Scheutz's unannounced visit.

The director of Tourism Hallstatt, Pamela Binder, said Hallstatt had made peace with its Chinese replica.

"First we were a bit insecure. Why did it come to replicate Hallstatt? And then we became lucky and proud," Binder said.

Fewer than 50 Chinese tourists visited Hallstatt in 2005, but now thousands fly to the Austrian town every year, according to officials from the Austrian delegation in China.

But some Hallstatt residents remained unconvinced.

"I don't think that it is a good idea. Hallstatt is just unique with its culture and traditions. You cannot copy that. I saw a report and the photos, and the copy seems different. In my opinion it is unacceptable," said resident Karin Holl.

Replica of Austrian village built in Guangdong |Society |chinadaily.com.cn
The Chinese posters have made many a caustic remarks about India using the English language and on its history.

But China takes the cake.

They are the wannabe Europeans! :rofl:

It does show how much they hate being Chinese and instead feel Europe is a better choice for Chinese to be socially acceptable.

What inferiority complex!

nimo_cn

Country flag
It must be excruciating pain everytime Ray realizes that his native language is being replaced by an alien language, it is like the core of Indian culture is being lost.

He has to turn to China for comfort..

Poor man.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Imagine the day when every Indian only speaks English, do we even know there was a country called India?
We are bilingual, in most cases trilingual. I speak four languages. So don't worry about such things.

It must be excruciating pain everytime Ray realizes that his native language is being replaced by an alien language, it is like the core of Indian culture is being lost.

He has to turn to China for comfort..

Poor man.
All that is fine, but tell me one thing. When the weather gets even a little cold, why do you Chinese girls immediately start wearing awesome furs and coats, but still continue wearing very short skirts? Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it? :noidea:

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Imagine the day when every Indian only speaks English, do we even know there was a country called India?
In India, it is essential to speak not one language, but three.

Mother Tongue, Hindi and English.

One will never lose touch with his own language.

Understand India before getting a metaphoric orgasm.

I am sure you are thrilled replicating Europe since you feel China is a bit infra dig!

As far as I go, I know 5 Indian languages and 3 foreign languages.

I not only know Indian culture, but have experienced some other cultures too!

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Seriously they copied a whole village as well?

amoy

Seriously they copied a whole village as well?
Ya , everywhere property developers build replicas of western architeture, Baroque, Gothic :rofl:

A community near mine in my hometown

That's nothing new as Chinese started to appreciate western architecture long time back. There's a saying "the top 3 comforts in life: marry a Japanese woman, live in a western house but still have Chinese cuisine" .

Chinese culture is basically very tolerant and all inclusive with a Confucian and Tao core deep inside. For example in Tang Dynasty it was fashionable to wear "western" nomads costumes (Xinjiang) and dance their dances while abandoning antique Han robes (now it's called kimono in Japan)

Chinese won't be too shy to adopt anything that's felt superior. Pluralism in unity.

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Why are you making fun of the Chinese for this?

Some people in Bihar are about to copy the Angkor Wat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
amoy said:
That's nothing new as Chinese started to appreciate western architecture long time back. There's a saying "the top 3 comforts in life: marry a Japanese woman, live in a western house but still have Chinese cuisine" .
I thought it was having white mistress, live in a western house and drink a bottle of French wine. :laugh:

nimo_cn

Country flag
In India, it is essential to speak not one language, but three.

Mother Tongue, Hindi and English.

One will never lose touch with his own language.

Understand India before getting a metaphoric orgasm.

I am sure you are thrilled replicating Europe since you feel China is a bit infra dig!

As far as I go, I know 5 Indian languages and 3 foreign languages.

I not only know Indian culture, but have experienced some other cultures too!
You can boast about your language diversity as much as you want, but one simple question is gonna bust all of your delusions.

Could Manmohan Singh be the Prime Minister of India if he doesn't speak English? Or Could anyone be the PM of India without mastering English?

English is replacing every single native language of India, because the excessive diversity of Indian language makes none of them strong enough to withstand the aggressive invasion of English. It is just a matter of time that India becomes a real English speaking country where people only speak English, especially if we take it into consideration that India aspires to be one.

Replicating Europe village is nothing comparable to replacing native language with an alien language, the former is adding some ingredient into the main course, while the latter is having a different main course.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
^^
ROFLMAO! I crack myself up.

Tolaha

Could Manmohan Singh be the Prime Minister of India if he doesn't speak English? Or Could anyone be the PM of India without mastering English?
Deve gowda: His Hindi was no good and many couldn't understand his English! :troll:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Why a Japanese woman ? :confused:

Chinese won't be too shy to adopt anything that's felt superior. Pluralism in unity.
The proper saying is "Unity in diversity" and it has an Indian trademark. You can't copy that too. :tsk:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why are you making fun of the Chinese for this?

Some people in Bihar are about to copy the Angkor Wat.

Breaking from the Shaivism tradition of previous kings, Angkor Wat was instead dedicated to Vishnu. As the best-preserved temple at the site, it is the only one to have remained a significant religious centre since its foundation – first Hindu, dedicated to the god Vishnu.

HIndusim is very much Indian! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
The Angkor Wat is itself an example of Indic architecture. Copying the Angkor Wat can't be compared with Asian countries copying Western architecture.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles