China, A Money Worshiping Country?

amoy

http://blog.english.caing.com/article/137/
Money Worship , Romanticism , Meterial Life , Self Actualization
This society has already worshiped money enough, and if romanticism is not properly promoted, there will be dollar signs in people's eyes

By Li Yinhe

Recently a survey of 24,000 people across 23 different countries named China as the country where money is most worshiped. If this survey is proven to be correct, then its findings are quite disheartening.

I believe that the main reason why Chinese worship money is their atheism. This is because the majority of Chinese people are atheists and therefore each of our life's goals can only occupy this one lifetime. People here say that, "a man dies the way a lamp goes out," and that there is nothing afterwards, neither heaven nor hell.

There are no souls nor reincarnation and so the meaning of life rests firmly in the present world. Everything that people have is only what this world possesses. Except for their material lives, people tend to ignore everything else, such as doing good deeds, trying to enter heaven, romance, happiness, and pursuing a spiritual life.

This in turn leads to the recent case of the woman who while on a popular dating show boasted without shame, "I would rather cry sitting in a BMW than smile while sitting on a bicycle". Female television, movie and sports stars all marry men with money.

The West isn't like this. In America, for example, the majority of the population believes in God and is expected to contribute money at church. Hollywood movies, whether popular or highbrow, all praise risking everything for true love. Titanic, where a beautiful girl would rather marry a poor young man whom she loves than a rich man, is a great example.

In reality the majority of marriages are between those of comparable socio-economic backgrounds. However, at the very least these marriages are celebrated as unions of love rather than money. Regardless of how the couples feel, they would say "I'd rather smile while sitting on a bicycle than cry sitting in a BMW."

This is not to say that they worship money less than Chinese do, but rather that they at least think that money worship is shameful and vulgar. Nobody is willing to reveal these contemptible parts of their hearts as the foolish girl described above did.

I know that a lot of people believe that this thoughtless girl's only fault was being too honest. They believe she was speaking the truth and because they believe, deep down, that she hasn't actually said anything vulgar or wrong. In fact they believe what she said is rooted in reality and is correct. They believe that those people who don't recognize this are being hypocritical.

The problem lies in this and I believe that the findings of the survey are correct in saying: China is possibly the most money worshiping country and that Chinese people are probably more likely to worship money than other groups.

What's so bad about money worship? My view is: money worship isn't very bad, but it isn't very good either. Money worship means being realistic, and people don't think of anything apart from money. They don't pursue anything apart from living well until death. As long as you don't hurt anyone, then it can't be that bad.

Also romanticism is not money worship and in this sort of life we search for beauty, love and happiness a spiritual life and higher pursuits. There are a large amount of statistics which prove that money and happiness don't have a direct relationship. Before one's most basic needs are resolved, money and happiness are positively correlated but once they are solved, the relationship disappears.

The higher pursuits described Maslow's Pyramid mainly refer to happiness through self-actualization. Some examples are a painter creating a great painting, an author writing a notable story, a scientist making a discovery or a housewife creating a delicious dish.

While I don't endorse the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television constant and hypersensitive orders and prohibitions, I do believe that in the case of these tasteless dating shows that discontinuing them is rooted in some degree of reason. This society has already worshiped money enough, and if romanticism is not properly promoted, there will be dollar signs in people's eyes.

The author is a research fellow, professor and tutor for doctoral candidates at Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, graduated with a Ph. D. in Sociology from University of Pittsburgh

p2prada

This has more to do with attacking atheists than trying to prove China worships money. Being realistic is good. The ability to think beyond realism is imagination. I personally have both and so do most atheists.

China today has the most engineering marvels in the world and that comes from imagination as well as being realistic with goals.

Heck, Dalai lama is atheist. Sweden has the most number of atheists in the world today, percentage wise. Half of the Japanese are atheists too.

Somehow contributing money to the Church makes you lose your dollar eyes eh? How about the fact that China is one of the largest aid donors in the world.

The writer is just a theist ranting about atheism. Some one give him The God Delusion. Fvkin idiot. Come with real facts and figures, not the tripe that comes from the backside of a Bovine.

kickok1975

I would say more people in China are worshiping money than ever before. Chinese used to worship Chairman Mao and communism ideology. That changed after Mao's death in 1976 and China's economic reform in 1978.

The culture revolution, 1989 Tiananmen Square and 2003 SARS severely damaged the trust between people and their faith toward government. Nowadays Chinese people don't have faith anymore and won't trust anything in the first place and would rather rely on word of mouth or rumors. In a society where inflation is rampage, social system is incomplete, government is not elected and people's residence is restricted, people don't have many choices except rely on the very thing that can ensure their standard of living: Money

The media and government also acted as catalyst for this money worshipping movement. Just like this article says, TV, radio, movies constantly have programs shows people the benefit of rich. Government propaganda slogan used to be: "Rich is glorious", "let a group of people get rich first".

There is nothing wrong to get rich. But when you see some people get rich quick and easy by some illegitimate ways without punishment and you can't do nothing about it, people will be getting indifferent and do everything they can to imitate way of those "get rich first" people. The red hot real eastate speculation in last two years is a good example.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Chinese worship money is the refrain that I have stated many a time on the forum and it was a pleasant surprise to find that I am vindicated.

That is the reason why some posters from China feel that enhancement of financial power equals Bliss! And that spiritual or cultural satisfaction is not worth considering.

Notwithstanding the Chinese yen for money, on the personal plane, I have found during interaction with the Chinese in the family and with Chinese friends, they are quite warm hearted and generous.

p2prada

Anybody who is rich enough to have money worships money. The poorer you are the more theist you are. It is a fact.

But why say only atheists worship money. The writer is trying to prove only that.

What's so bad about money worship? My view is: money worship isn't very bad, but it isn't very good either. Money worship means being realistic, and people don't think of anything apart from money. They don't pursue anything apart from living well until death. As long as you don't hurt anyone, then it can't be that bad.
That is the silliest argument against atheism I have ever heard in my life.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Why do the results of this survey surprise anyone at all - it is not Just China but the Chinese culture that worships wealth. In Malaysia - the money worshipping culture of the Chinese was evident anywhere. It is evident in Chinese communities everywhere and not just in China.

2nd and 3rd generation western born Chinese kids are quite different and many no longer hold those values.

It has nothing to do with being an atheist. Being an atheist doesnt mean you worship wealth. It is Chinese culture that worship wealth.

Another aspect of Chinese culture - the end always justifies the means. The Chinese couldnt care less how you make your money - cheat, lie, bribe, steal, or sell your mama. They still respect you if you have tons of it !!

Last edited:

JustForLaughs

religious people like to throw around the word "worship" a lot it seems. its pretty amusing.

"I believe that the main reason why Chinese worship money is their atheism." - ahaha

"The West isn't like this. In America, for example, the majority of the population believes in God and is expected to contribute money at church." - ahahahaha

"However, at the very least these marriages are celebrated as unions of love rather than money. Regardless of how the couples feel, they would say "I'd rather smile while sitting on a bicycle than cry sitting in a BMW."- ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

btw, wheres the survey? anyone who took research methods course knows that is a RETARDED survey to make. how can other countries rank other countries on love of money ahahaha. so dumb.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
religious people like to throw around the word "worship" a lot it seems. its pretty amusing.
Worship does not mean religion alone.

It also means To honour and love as a deity/ icon/ ideal.

E.g. Work is Worship!

JustForLaughs

Worship does not mean religion alone.

It also means To honour and love as a deity/ icon/ ideal.

E.g. Work is Worship!
ok, being ESL i sometimes make mistakes like this.

although i still think the article is TOO funny. so the WORLD RECESSION resulting in large part due to the massive foreclosures was because Americans were NOT borrowing to live BEYOND THEIR MEANS?

because they were smiling on their bicycles?

yeah.....no...

p2prada

The article was written by a person who wrote it less in his capacity as a Doctorate in Sociology and more in his capacity as a self proclaimed Christian Priest.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles