Sell excess equipment in Afghanistan to India: US lawmaker

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

Instead of scrapping excess American military equipment worth billions of dollars in Afghanistan before its planned troop withdrawal in 2014, the US should sell it to friendly countries like India and Uzbekistan, a top lawmaker has suggested.

Expressing shock over a recent article in 'The Washington Post' reporting that US has hired contract labourers to scrap precious military equipment in Afghanistan worth billions of dollars, New York Congressman Dana Rohrabacher has written in a letter to Secretary of State John Kerry that the United States should not waste perfectly good military equipment.

"We have allies and friends in Uzbekistan and India who have very real security concerns and could put this equipment to good use. They should buy the equipment and the training that goes along with it which should be profitable to us both. It makes more sense for the American tax payer and serves our country's interests by supporting nations who will come under increased threat from radical Islam after 2014," Rohrabacher wrote in the letter yesterday.

"Such a spectacle only gives the public the impression that our withdrawal is being conducted in an irresponsible manner," said Rohrabacher.

As the US military prepares to withdraw from Afghanistan, equipment deemed to be too costly to transport out of the country is being destroyed, according to media reports.

It is reported that the Defence Department has "destroyed more than 170 million pounds worth of vehicles and other military equipment" so far, including mine-resistant armoured trucks.

The excess equipment being scrapped is so valuable, it was referred to as "gold dust" in a June 19, Washington Post article with some estimating its worth to be as high as USD 7 billion.

Sell excess equipment in Afghanistan to India: US lawmaker

ladder

Country flag
They are scrapping them because, it isn't economical to ship them out.

Would it not cost a lot of money to ship them to India?

And those scrapped are flogged hard, so I don't think Investing heavy amount in shipping them to India is a great idea.

Last edited:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
They are scrapping them because, it isn't economical to ship them out.

Would it not cost a lot of money to ship them to India?

And those scrapped are flogged hard, so I don't think Investing heavy amount in shipping them to India is not a great idea.
compare distance between united states and distance between India and af-stan is short rout it thought Iran and ship it to Mumbai will cost less just my 2 cents :) and if they can with stand IED's in AF-STAN they can also do the same for our CRPF so live or cost i go with saving lives since we don't have anything that can match these beasts

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The problem is getting then to the port. If they can get them to the port, they can ship it anywhere. Senator is wrong in his assumptions. Yeah it can be sold to Uzbekistan which has a clear land route

ladder

Country flag
compare distance between united states and distance between India and af-stan is short rout it thought Iran and ship it to Mumbai will cost less just my 2 cents :) and if they can with stand IED's in AF-STAN they can also do the same for our CRPF so live or cost i go with saving lives since we don't have anything that can match these beasts
Iran isn't going to allow US military hardware to use it's port.( Irrespective of how good relation we have with them)
And I shouldn't bother to mention Pakistan.

So only two option
1. Using northern route
2. Airlifting.
and both are very costly.

Last edited:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Afghanistan need them the most, who don't US offer them to Afghanistan?

ladder

Country flag
India can buy and gift to ANA if the US doesn't.
I don't think that is even an option.
USA doesn't believe that ANA would be able to prevent many of these equipment falling into the hands of Taliban.

Read somewhere that Taliban are now using few stolen up-armored Humvee.
I don't know how these things get stolen.

TrueSpirit

Iran isn't going to allow US military hardware to use it's port.( Irrespective of how good relation we have with them)
And I shouldn't bother to mention Pakistan.

So only two option
1. Using northern route
2. Airlifting.
and both are very costly.
Precisely. & this, exactly, is the constraint (not having a land border with Af-stan) due to which India would always remain a bit player in Af-stan, dependent upon Iran & Russia-CIS nations, no matter how hard we try. But, this is also advantageous in some respects.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I don't think that is even an option.
USA doesn't believe that ANA would be able to prevent many of these equipment falling into the hands of Taliban.

Read somewhere that Taliban are now using few stolen up-armored Humvee.
I don't know how these things get stolen.
Duh, they are talking about giving to Pakis.

ladder

Country flag
Precisely. & this, exactly, is the constraint (not having a land border with Af-stan) due to which India would always remain a bit player in Af-stan, dependent upon Iran & Russia-CIS nations, no matter how hard we try. But, this is also advantageous in some respects.
Officially Afghanistan is our neighboring country with whom we share 128 km ( approx.) of land boundary. (Just for information)

Advantage? could you please specify?

ladder

Country flag
Duh, they are talking about giving to Pakis.
Your ex. can still be your friend even after break-up.:laugh:

USA knows this very well.
They need to dangle some carrots for their ' Do More....Do More' stick to be working.
USA compulsion is at work.

Yes, If they gift these MRAP's to Pakistan then it will be Pakistani army drivers ferrying Talibunnies around.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Pakistan is an Ally of US, US just share a good relation with India.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
India can buy and gift to ANA if the US doesn't.
7 billion worth is a big amount for India to Aid, while the war must have resulted in some amount of collateral damage for the Nation of Afghanistan much more then a value of 7 billion.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

The only way is through Pakistan ..Call the Myria on the line and some C 17 on the Cargo pick up ..may the Antonov makes 10 sorties per day and 10 C17 made 100 Sorties per day ..Only 2k Kilometers distance so the flying cost is lower Compared to other Routes ,...

Only Question is

Will Pakistan allows

will the US gives some pressure to Pakistan to Clear Skies

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
US must submit those hardware to Afghanistan if it is more then a businessman and claims to be a world leader with a positive vision for peace and prosperity through out the globe.

TrueSpirit

Officially Afghanistan is our neighboring country with whom we share 128 km ( approx.) of land boundary. (Just for information)

Advantage? could you please specify?
India, from the day it came into existence as a sovereign nation, never had any reach, presence or control over that 128 kms., otherwise we would also have a land border with erstwhile USSR via Tajikistan. Advantage is: we can choose to ignore them altogether & focus on Paki alone.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles